I think that is an unfair and inaccurate characterization. Yes, we have a few pencilnecks who know practically nothing about the outdoors but they're enthusiastic about learning. But the rest range from single moms who barely have 10 minutes to spare during an average day (and who just don't have time to care about the outdoor program) to well-seasoned young parents who have backpacked thousands of miles, canoed similar distances, and know a heck of a lot more about the outdoors than what you can find in BSA literature....and they decided to have a family.

I can remember plenty of dads back in the 1960s whose outdoor skills consisted of knowing how to light a cigarette in the wind, who had no trail skills whatsoever, and were astounded by what could be done with a Dutch oven once their sons showed them.

People ran the gamut back then and they do now as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 35+ years in Scouting. WB trained in 1993 so I didn't get the 21st Century stuff. Was WB worth it? Don't remember much of it. It wasn't very memorable even at the time. However, now that t

So is Woodbadge responsible for the Prissy Troops????? I think it is at least partly responsible....   I am an advocate for Advance Outdoor skills course AOS...... To be an SM you are requ

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particula

Out of my entire WB group, I know of no others who are still in scouting.

The main reason I'm still around is because I was an outdoorsman long before joining scouts as a Cub and I'll still be long after I wrap it up as a leader. 40 years of working with kids is just a perk to the opportunity to be out in the woods.

My daughter has informed me I'm responsible for teaching my granddaughter how to hunt, fish and camp. I guess I'll be at it for a while.

Stosh

• Downvote 1

Out of my WB patrol from 1984, two are dead and five are very active in Scouting (one in Mexico. He was an "undocumented alien" and went home. Running a troop in the middle of drug wars is challenging.).

Out of my WB patrol in 2008, all six are very active, but one (single mother of two sons) sounds like a candidate from burn-out from too much Scouting.

(Every year, more people go into wilderness. We are just not recruiting enough of them due to a variety of factors -- some beyond BSA 's control, some beyond Scouting's control, and some self-inflicted wounds by BSA and Scouting.)

• 1 year later...

TAHAWK,just curious, what was you WB number. I also completed mine in 1984. To my knowledge, I am the only one still in the Scouting Program.

From reading this forum, I'm glad I did it then and not now. It was probably the best training I got as a Scouter.