Pack....The dining hall had to be 100 degrees with 120% humidity not to mention the smell of wet man beast....the boys were simply done and wanted to go to bed.....

Back to the original post Why Woodbadge???? so you too can have a ceremony just like the one mentioned above and like KDD absolutely loves and adores.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 35+ years in Scouting. WB trained in 1993 so I didn't get the 21st Century stuff. Was WB worth it? Don't remember much of it. It wasn't very memorable even at the time. However, now that t

So is Woodbadge responsible for the Prissy Troops????? I think it is at least partly responsible....   I am an advocate for Advance Outdoor skills course AOS...... To be an SM you are requ

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particula

Notice how these ceremonies are IMPOSED on people, no one is ever INVITED to attend. There is never an announcement that they will occur, never on the agenda. "There are a bunch of unsuspecting suckers sitting there politely, I have captive audience! My chance to bore them with stories of the Zulus, the Boar War and ancient customs of British Military Service. Yeah ! My lucky day."

Notice how these ceremonies are IMPOSED on people, no one is ever INVITED to attend. There is never an announcement that they will occur, never on the agenda. "There are a bunch of unsuspecting suckers sitting there politely, I have captive audience! My chance to bore them with stories of the Zulus, the Boar War and ancient customs of British Military Service. Yeah ! My lucky day."
I'd find the ancient customs of the British Military interesting...

But only if you can tie a Turk's Head knot in less than 5 minutes while we watch!

I plan on never doing woodbadge. I'm sorry but I prefer to spend my time on the actual scouts then going off and taking some more boring training.

Thanks to GSUSA and BSA not excepting each other's training courses I have been trained and re-trained. I spent all of IOLS trying to teach someone who knew nothing of the T-1st class skills. And I'm sorry but standing in front of a group of 50 people and holding up ropes and showing them all at once how to tie a certain knot is NOT how you teach someone how to tie a knot. Did I learn anything from IOLS - nope. All it did was give me a "trained" patch on my arm yippee.

And I hate all the crap about women and them not making for good SM's... sorry to break it to ya, but I have had several of the men in our troop come up to me and tell me I'm the best SM the troop has had since they can remember and considering one of them has been around since the formation of the troop I take that compliment with great honor.

Of course I'm not a typical scouter... I don't give a darn about earning and wearing special awards and knots and whatever else they come out with for adults to make them look special... I prefer to go on a campout with my scouts and see a new scout that just learned a knot the previous meeting actually using it and not needing any help with it and then waiting for the next batch of new scouts to come and see that scout now teaching those knots. And I liked a recent facebook picture that was sent to me of a birthday party of one of our younger scouts and to see that we had boys from all the patrols there including a couple of the ones going into their senior year (a couple others had to work and couldn't get it off with the short notice he gave them or they would've been there too) I mean how many boys turning 12 have boys turning 18 come to their party? and how many boys turning 18 go to a 12 years olds party??? My scouts did and I love it!

So what is woodbadge going to do for me? Other than take money out of my pocket?

I plan on never doing woodbadge. I'm sorry but I prefer to spend my time on the actual scouts then going off and taking some more boring training.

Thanks to GSUSA and BSA not excepting each other's training courses I have been trained and re-trained. I spent all of IOLS trying to teach someone who knew nothing of the T-1st class skills. And I'm sorry but standing in front of a group of 50 people and holding up ropes and showing them all at once how to tie a certain knot is NOT how you teach someone how to tie a knot. Did I learn anything from IOLS - nope. All it did was give me a "trained" patch on my arm yippee.

And I hate all the crap about women and them not making for good SM's... sorry to break it to ya, but I have had several of the men in our troop come up to me and tell me I'm the best SM the troop has had since they can remember and considering one of them has been around since the formation of the troop I take that compliment with great honor.

Of course I'm not a typical scouter... I don't give a darn about earning and wearing special awards and knots and whatever else they come out with for adults to make them look special... I prefer to go on a campout with my scouts and see a new scout that just learned a knot the previous meeting actually using it and not needing any help with it and then waiting for the next batch of new scouts to come and see that scout now teaching those knots. And I liked a recent facebook picture that was sent to me of a birthday party of one of our younger scouts and to see that we had boys from all the patrols there including a couple of the ones going into their senior year (a couple others had to work and couldn't get it off with the short notice he gave them or they would've been there too) I mean how many boys turning 12 have boys turning 18 come to their party? and how many boys turning 18 go to a 12 years olds party??? My scouts did and I love it!

So what is woodbadge going to do for me? Other than take money out of my pocket?

K,

Yep. The IOLS world is messed up. Nuff said.

The one good thing about WB, if it is successful in recruiting across the area, is that you stand a good chance of meeting one or two female adult leaders who've been through the same gauntlet you have. Moreover you get a little time working with some "good old boys" and reshaping their opinions ... making it easier for the next mom/older sister. That quantity and quality of time is not offered anywhere else in scouting.

That said, in your position, I would wait until you know your ASMs can carry the unit for the weekends you'll be away. That's the real cost: time away from you unit. As much as I liked my patrol of old crows, I missed those weekends and evenings with the youth in my crew.

Jay K ... It's not about being too good for Wood Badge. And I did take it because it was part of the curriculm. Essentially to complete the checklist and to follow the program. I also agree that it's about the betterment of scouting.

BUT ... My Wood Badge was way way too much class room. Just like my IOLS which was also way way too much class room.

Where Wood Badge was very useful to me was ... In learning how a troop functions. Marching. Singing songs. Gathering in the morning. Assigning jobs. Learning how to stack the pans in the cook kit. Somewhat how to run a PLC. Seeing how the cooks cooked. DOING THINGS. THAT'S HOW SCOUT LEARN AND THAT'S HOW ADULT LEADERS LEARN TOO.

The classroom content was way too much and forgotten before the weekend was thru. Especially as I had already studied those concepts as part of being a professional. Only one of my tickets I can remember now even though they were all work and that's because I'm still doing that extra job.

I could have really really used a course that was more outdoor oriented to develop that outdoorsman. Let's cut wood with an axe. Let's tip a canoe. Let's get this injured scout cared for and to the hospital.

=======================

The biggest issue I have with Wood Badge is the same issue many have with Eagle Scout. Over promotion and wasting people's time who already know about it. Way too often Wood Badge promotion was about the betterment of Wood Badge. Over hype. Similar to Eagle Scout. We over-hype Eagle Scout to the detriment of Eagle Scout.

Why Woodbadge? When I staffed the course almost two years ago, I asked that question of the 50 or so participants, and here is (unedited) what some of them wrote:::

“REASONS WHY I TOOK WOOD BADGE†(or, Why YOU should take Wood Badge)

*I took away a lot of ideas from everyone else, not just the staff.

*It reminds me of how much fun Scouting can be.

*The fellowship.

*It helps to build leadership in my Troop.

*My sense of obligation makes me want to payback to Scouting.

*Self-empowerment. I can do more, because I can.

*To grow spiritually.

*It keeps the Pack trainer off my back.

*It’s my Eagle. To accomplish it as my special project.

*To hear awesome bugling.

*To learn leadership skills.

*A chance to play and camp as an adult.

*Train to make better project planning.

*Gives you the BIG picture of Scouting, not just the day to day stuff.

*Gets you in a Scout Spirit atmosphere.

*Looking for the “AHA†moments. Found’em.

*Make the transition from Cub Scout to Boy Scout more seamless.

*Gain in understanding the “other†Scout.

*I am not alone.

*Seeking ‘Personal Growth’, it’s not just about the boys and girls, but adults too.

*It renews your energy for Scouting.

*Big chance, not just happenstance, to interface with lots of other Scouters.

*“A raven is like a writing deskâ€Â.

*Supreme networking.

*Observing excellent exampling of Scout leading..

*Learning that everyone has their own strengths and talents and weaknesses – that the group can often accomplish more together than anyone singularly.

*To experience the very best in leadership (what they told me before I came!). I think I did.

*I gained tools to look at one’s past to be a better leader in the future.

*You can’t help your Scouts “get it†until you “get itâ€Â, and Wood Badge is where I “got itâ€Â.

*“Rehydrate†for Scouting souls: Water for the physical body, Wood Badge for the “Scouting†body.

*For the Coffee.

*Obtain a deeper understanding of the purpose of Scouting.

*If you choose to do something, if you volunteer to do something, don’t you want the best skills to enable you to do that something the very best way possible? Why do it half way?

*To benefit from them that have “been there and done thatâ€Â.

The ones that did not respond? Well, I can't report wht they didn't tell me.

• Upvote 1
Why Woodbadge? When I staffed the course almost two years ago, I asked that question of the 50 or so participants, and here is (unedited) what some of them wrote:::

*The fellowship.

*To grow spiritually.

*I am not alone.

*Seeking ‘Personal Growth’, it’s not just about the boys and girls, but adults too.

*Supreme networking.

*Learning that everyone has their own strengths and talents and weaknesses – that the group can often accomplish more together than anyone singularly.

*To experience the very best in leadership (what they told me before I came!). I think I did.

*You can’t help your Scouts “get it†until you “get itâ€Â, and Wood Badge is where I “got itâ€Â.

*“Rehydrate†for Scouting souls: Water for the physical body, Wood Badge for the “Scouting†body.

*For the Coffee.

*If you choose to do something, if you volunteer to do something, don’t you want the best skills to enable you to do that something the very best way possible? Why do it half way?

SSS, I appreciate the spirit of your response. Thank you.

As I was eagerly reading your post, half of my mind was searching for a reason that scored with me. The other half was mentally shooting down the ideas and categorizing them.

Categories of rejection:

1- Networking and idea swapping more efficiently handled at RT. (But I do need to go to RT more often.)

2- Better done with my boys in our troop.

3- Silly.

4- Ephemeral spiritual BS that I'd have a hard time holding my tongue through. I'm pretty plain spoken, and I should probably stay away from WouldBadge or risk dampening the experience for the other participants. (I wonder if there has ever been a WouldBadge patrol that rebelled in mass?)

I keep worrying at the WouldBadge posts on this forum because I know that there is a need for better woodmanship training in BSA. There have got to be some simple concepts that the boys can implement to better their leadership skills. And some better ways to communicate those skills to young men. But I haven't found it. Yet.

I am starting to think that maybe I should give up on a big nationally developed plan and try to put together a small effort at the district level. We have some excellent SMs in our district who have strengths in various aspects of scouting. Is there an existing format for local skills training that others have used?

Any suggestions on how I might get this concept past the 'good old beaded boys'?

*The fellowship.

*To grow spiritually.

*I am not alone.

*Supreme networking.

*For the Coffee.

So if we do to BSA Lifeguards what Wood Badge did to BSA Patrol Leaders, the reasons for taking the ultimate lifeguard course will be the same: fellowship, networking, personal growth, and a chance to learn "leadership skills"?

*The fellowship.

*To grow spiritually.

*I am not alone.

*Supreme networking.

*For the Coffee.

Alot of work, but it was very well received for a number of years here. Do a Show-N-Do. If you can find someone to coordinate it properly, you can put the most asked for real skills out there for the taking. Ours began with the gathering and patrol assignments. Then they learned to do a woggle and put on the event neckerchiefs using their new slide. They were given a half hour to come up with their name and make a flag from offered materials. The rest of the day, they worked within that patrol learning basics of pioneering, map and compass, knife and axe, first aid, fires and stoves, cooking demo which included their making their own lunch using the tinfoil method, and a few other things that changed year to year. Also had demo of dutch oven, completed pioneering devices, woodcarving, a few memorabilia displays and short history discussion, and so on. We started with three patrols the first time. The last time we had nine and turned them away. But, the persons doing the grunt work got burned out, and no one was able to fill the gap well. For seven years though, we had a really great event. Keep hoping someone with the time and skills will bring it back. I admittedly simply do not have the needed organizational skills at that level.

*The fellowship.

*To grow spiritually.

*I am not alone.

*Supreme networking.

*For the Coffee.

Bugling????? Coffee?????get what at woodbadge, paper pushing?????empowerment?????camp as an adult????? Seriously for $300 bucks those are reasons????

Its my eagle????really....

Keep my pack trainer off my back.....

You know what I think of the AHa moments in woodbadge.....for folks have never experienced adversity or had to accomplish anything in their lives. Facebook folks.

I am gonna say half of those responses border on tragic.

The list is embarrassing. You come away from the BSA's premier leadership course and all you can say is the bugling and coffee were good?????

I still contend that the BSA needs an Advanced Outdoor Leadership course required to draw a High adventure tour permit. IOLS should be required for ASM's.

It should be required so we don't get lost on a hike on a council reservation with faded trail markers and maps with lakes that dried up 25 years ago. 10% of male population is color blind to some degree.
I still contend that the BSA needs an Advanced Outdoor Leadership course required to draw a High adventure tour permit. IOLS should be required for ASM's.

KDD some of us take our boys to places with out fences......There are no trail signs.....You have a topo map and a compass, Gps as well....

It is possible to get lost where we backpack.....but honestly we could walk in one direction for a day and hit a road...

Sorry to hear your troop is limited to boy scout camps and city parks.

Adventure is out there my friend you just need to look for it in a boys eyes.

A lot of scout leaders make great decisions outdoors....

But how many times have we had headlines like these

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/20240116/2012/12/02/boy-scout-troop-lost-in-tonto-national-forest

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/210802771.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boy-scout-death-20-mile-hike-heat/story?id=11861418

so is that RichardB in that last one

The problem we have is cube dwellers and fluffy body type boys go out and get in over their heads...... Of course they have no idea what their limits are????

We have adults who have minimal outdoor experience taking troops to places they have no business being........

Then the entire outdoor courtesy and ethics problem. Entire troops using area that limit group size.......

There is something to be said for cub scouts camping in someone's backyard.

There also something to be said for Webelos scouts camping in a city park.

As the adventure progresses, then we have boy scouts doing back country backpacking, canoe camping, and Philmont.

Not all adults can effectively follow their boys through the program and not all units have adult leadership skilled enough to provide opportunities for real high adventure.

Like the boys, the leaders need to get the training and skills to be able to not only push the envelop for themselves but to provide opportunity for the boys to push.

Is it any wonder boys don't find adventure in car camping and the 7th trip to the local scout camp? Where are the boys that fit this situation? All over the place.

Since I left the unit leadership, the first thing I noticed is the level of adventure I am doing now at 62 years of age is higher than 95% of the troops in my area.

Stosh