Bullet08 mentioned something I have also wondered about. What does it cost in terms of time and money? Are these costs similar for all regions or councils?
Basementdweller, how much overall time did you invest in it as well?
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 35+ years in Scouting. WB trained in 1993 so I didn't get the 21st Century stuff. Was WB worth it? Don't remember much of it. It wasn't very memorable even at the time. However, now that t

So is Woodbadge responsible for the Prissy Troops????? I think it is at least partly responsible....   I am an advocate for Advance Outdoor skills course AOS...... To be an SM you are requ

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particula

Bullet08 mentioned something I have also wondered about. What does it cost in terms of time and money? Are these costs similar for all regions or councils?
KKD

There are three LNT different course.

One is a single day class...Typically free.

Second is a trainer course...I took this one....Typically three days...Cost from $100 to $400 depending on the provider

Third is a master educator course.....This is a week long and cost between $500 and $1500 depending on the provider

The third course is completely off the hook.....I see no reason why you would ever need to take this course.....I back packed for three days and had to do a presentation to the group.....It was no big deal....

Let me see time....

I had the 6 days for the course....

I had 5 days for the LNT training, part of my ticket......LNT is more screwed up than the BSA....No Trainer courses offered in my home state for 2 years....

The other ticket items.....easily another week, running here and there, scheduling appointments and meetings. so I am going to say abut 18 days.

Should I include the time trying to get a hold and meeting with my ticket councilor......that would be another couple of days for missed meetings and such......

My course was $210.00. Two 3-day weekends for the coursework. We got together again a month after the second weekend to turn in our ticket sheets and receive some final instructions. As a patrol, we met at least 6 times in the last 18 months. I figured that I spent around $250.00 or so completing my ticket.

I turned my completed ticket in 2 weeks ago. I'll get my beads June 21 at the council fire ring.

Dean R

Owl Patrol

C3-133-11-1

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particular people skills, no amazing insights into Scouting - at least not things that I didn't already know. My ticket had items that I probably would not have done - service outside of my home unit and helping to make things better with a Scoutreach unit. I became involved with a Scoutreach unit based in a low-income housing community and has the pleasure, no, the joy, of helping those boys learn about Scouting. None of them had uniforms, none of them had ever been camping, none of them had ever had dinner over a campfire, none had been to a Cub day camp. They all have since enjoyed those experiences - all things that wouldn't have happened had I not had the Wood Badge experience. I can honestly say that experience changed my life. Many of those Cubs earned their Arrow of Light and several have transitioned into a traditional Boy Scout troop. How's that for a honest to God, life changing experience? Honestly? It could change their entire lives.

I associate with Scouting because I generally like the type of people that also choose to associate themselves with Scouting. I want my son to develop relationships with children and families that share the same values I share. My experiences with Wood Badge were very positive - I'd do it again.

• Downvote 2

I still and forever will contend that the folks who have or say woodbadge is life changing have led very sheltered and shallow lives.....

No hardships or tough choices......

Ya we had a bunch of folks that were in tears at the end of the course......I didn't get it........

Honestly I never felt like crying after a management course ended......

I still and forever will contend that the folks who have or say woodbadge is life changing have led very sheltered and shallow lives.....

Ya we had a bunch of folks that were in tears at the end of the course......I didn't get it........

Me too. The course itself. I'm pretty much a cynical black and white kind of guy and not much fazes me. However... the experience I described above was life changing - for both me and the boys. Me because it made me a little more aware of how fortunate I am. Them because it may give them different options in life. The positive point I was trying to make is I would have never considered going to spend a year "in the projects" without Wood Badge. Ok, it wasn't a Cabrini-Green or anything, but it also wasn't the nice little suburban life I've carved out for myself either.

I live in da hood that is the difference
$275 incl meals, 6 days for my council. Some of the district guys try to play up the value by claiming that if this were a corporate training event, it would be $5,000.
An interesting twist to this whole Wood Badge thingy... If the 21st Century program is so much better than the "old stuff" why aren't the old-timers beating down the door to get into the program? For a while, the council was pushing the 21st program to the old-timers telling them that they needed to update in order to be on staff, eligible for Jambo staff, etc. etc. The impression was the "old stuff" wasn't going to be "valid" anymore. There were a few who even subtly threatened to require the re-training in order to keep the beads.

The conclusion for most was, well then, where do we drop off the beads.....

Somehow I keep thinking in the back of my mind, if the program is so much better, why isn't everyone, including "old stuff" Wood Badgers beating down the door to get into the program?

And that begs the second question, why after 13 years people are still asking the same question: "Why Woodbadge?" :)

Sometimes the track record speaks for itself.

Stosh

Well, pardon me for mentioning their sex! But, the two scout dads weren't cleaning my cookery. :D

DanBrew: You could write the same ticket if the content of Wood Badge was still Scouting for Boy Scouts, rather than office management for Den Leaders.

You make it sound like the Werner Ehrhard EST courses that were popular in the 1970s.

Would you ever recommend to one of your youth to NOT go to NYLT because it would be a waste of their time? Basically it is the same material as WB. If you think it would benefit them, why do you doubt it would benefit you?

• Downvote 1