Review by the chief scout executive

Does anyone know how long it should take to have a review at the national level of a decision to revoke a leader's membership? It took about 2 months to receive a letter from the regional review committee saying they were not reinstating my membership and telling me I could request a review from the chief scout executive. I sent that request in early December so it has now been two more months and I have heard nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if it is even going to be reviewed at all.

And before you jump to conclusions--I did nothing wrong. Lies were told about me and passed on to the council by someone who wanted to hurt me. I have learned that the health and safety committee did not even meet to discuss my case--a decision was made by one person based solely on hearsay. He didn't even check the facts. To make matters worse, the charter organization decided that until this is cleared up I can't enter the building when scout meetings are being held. I have to drive up to the door and text my sons to come out. So I'm anxious to get this cleared up.

Yeah, that sounds rough. I have no idea how long it would take, but I wouldn't expect it to be quick.

And I would doubt very much that they are going to overturn the decision, barring some really clear and convincing evidence. Why would the CSE render a different decision from the regional review committee? I'd think it would be very rare, without knowing any details of your case or any other.

As for the charter organization, it seems like you ought to talk to someone there directly. There are lots of people who aren't registered Scouters who can come into the meeting - I'm not sure why you would need to be one to be allowed on the property.

Your chance of having the decision overturned are ZERO!! Maybe even less than that.

Unless they get some extraordinary epifany at national it won'r happen. Make up your mind on that and move on to something else.

So do you want to share what happened?

Why do you think there is zero chance of having the decision overturned? Then why would they review it at all? The letter from the review committee did not state their reasoning for not overturning the decision, so I have no clue what the problem is. Here's what happened:

1. My son claimed that I physically abused him three years ago. This was reported to CPS, but no action was taken because it supposedly happened three years ago.

2. Someone reported to council that there was a CPS case against me, which there never was.

3. I received a letter from council revoking my membership, but it didn't say why. I had to write a letter to them asking why.

4. I sent a letter to the regional review committee explaining that there was no CPS case against me.

5. I received a letter asking me to send them a copy of the disposition of the case against me.

6. I replied that, since there was no case against me, I could not supply a copy of the disposition of it.

7. They sent a letter asking for letters of support.

8. I sent them more than 20 letters of support.

9. I received a letter from the regional review committee stating that they found no reason to overturn the decision.

10. Following the instructions in the letter from the regional review committee, I wrote a letter to the chief scout executive again explaining the situation, and enclosing copies of the papers from my son's juvenile court case to show them that it was against him, not me, and printed out pages from the county court website showing that there is no case against me.

So was all of this for nothing? Once the BSA decides someone is guilty of child abuse, even without a shred of evidence, is there no chance to prove their innocence?

Maybe you needed to have CPS send in official paperwork explaining there was an allegation, deemed unfounded, and there is no case and therefore no disposition. As I've learned overseas, offical stamps and seals carry a lot of weight.

Thank you shepo1, that was a helpful answer.

ScoutNut, I did apply for a copy of the records from CPS and received an automatic response that it could take several months to get the records. Having some experience with CPS as a foster parent, I read that as several YEARS or NEVER. And you are right that it might not help convince the BSA anyway. I really have no idea what would convince them since the only thing they have told me to send them is a final disposition of the nonexistent case and letters of support.

From the responses here, it is looking like I might as well give up hope on getting reinstated as a leader. I wonder if I should try something else instead. Do you think I could get the council to write a letter to the chartered organization saying that I am allowed to be present at meetings and other events as a parent? That is the only way the the chartered organization would allow it.

If the SM and CC have caused you so much trouble and turmoil, why are any of your family members still with that troop? Why haven't y'all moved to a new troop where there's a clean slate? You probably won't be able to be an adult Scouter anymore (or at least until this all gets cleared up), but unless this has spread all over the District, I don't see why you can't be just be a mom.

One of the current/former professionals can tell you if this is still current, but it's dated to 2008:

http://pushies.com/documents/28-105_PMSML.pdf

My advice is simple: See an attorney. An internet board, where we are all anonymous, can at best point you along the way. At worst, you risk getting yourself into deeper water. Internet Protocol (IP) numbers are traceable.

Yep, had an adult get their membership revoked..........

Tied an out of control ADD scout to a picnic table.

Had another Pack treasurer just get removed for theft............CO refused to press charges but her membership was revoked.

District or Council cannot tell a CO or Troop who is allowed to attend meetings.

My example is not allowing the FOS presenter at the COH and Pack meeting. Cannot force it...(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Nike, my husband and sons have friends in this troop and don't want to leave it. I'm not going to ask them to leave the troop for my sake, but if it becomes too painful for my husband to be there because of the eagle thing, he may quit being a leader.

Thank you, John-in-KC. I have been looking for something like that. I'm not worried about getting into "deeper waters" because there really is no case against me. If they would do a background check on me, they would find nothing worse than a traffic ticket. As for hiring an attorney, it would probably not accomplish anything but making people at the BSA mad. As they say, they have the right to refuse membership to anyone and don't have to prove that I did anything wrong.