Generation X - Please Come Forward.

I must observe, we're going to get to the end of the alphabet soon. :) Maybe we should just look at each other as individuals and stop making such a big deal about group differences. Just a thought.

I see a few pre-meds come in and out of my courses. I would feel quite comfortable if most of them appeared at my surgery (not all at once). And there are always some outstanding students in other fields too. This hasn't changed much over the years. I guess my point is that every cohort has leaders and doers. They are all great in my book. And while every class has had some who didn't seem to have the spark, I can't explain why there seems to be more of them now, could just be my perspective. But overall I don't see the great differences spoken of here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello dsteele,

Actually, my memory of the generations and of the presentation is a little different from yours.

It is the WWII (depression) generation that is motivated by money.

The Baby Boomers are motivated by fun, by process and by paying personal attention to them.

The Gen Xers are more "What's in it for me.

Greetings Mr. Neilup.

I prefer to think of the X-generation not so much as the "what's in it for me" generation as the "What can I do" generation. If we have nothing to contribute to a cause, we're outta there.

In either case, my hat is doffed to your generation to the things you have done.

My point is that generation x for good or for ill, is poised to take over whether the boomers are ready or not.

Dave

If BSA isn't ready for Gen X it is far too late already. The Gen X people may not be in charge, but they are in the system now. It is the following generations that greater thought should be given too, since they are the ones that there is still plenty of time to prepare for the roles they will take, or prepare the system to survive them, whichever in needed.

If people like the National Committee are worried about the next generation, it is probably because they have too little direct contact with members of that generation. Either that, or they have been listening to too many power point presentations and not noticing many of those working in their offices and what not are members of one of these dreaded generations.

Oh, a quick question-

Will the length of time between generations become shorter as the rate of change in the world becomes more rapid?

Hello DSteele,

The presentation which I recently heard was at a Regional Wood Badge Course Director's Development Conference. It related to the characteristics and needs of various generations. It specifically addressed the "Baby Boomers" and the way they viewed the world and suggested to them the different way that younger leaders were comfortable. It spoke about what needed to be done to make Wood Badge and Scouting more appropriate and more inviting for those younger leaders and to encourage them to become long time Scouting leaders and Wood Badgers and to complete their Wood Badge tickets.

Among the topics discussed were the reasons that some of the changes were made from the previous generation of Wood Badge (Leadership Development Wood Badge) to the current 21st Century Wood Badge and how many of those changes are specifically designed to appeal to and be relevant to leaders now in their 20s, 30s and early 40s. It was said that it is not surprising that many of the changes are uncomfortable for older individuals as it was not designed for them.

As an example, it was said that because of the introduction of TV in the early 50s, as a general rule, individuals now about age 50 and up are most comfortably communicated with in a verbal fashion while individuals younger than 50 are much more comfortable with pictorial communication. There are, of course, exceptions.

The BSA is well aware of generations and generational transitions. The degree of comfort with those transitions varies from person to person. The effort is certainly being made in the part of many BSA leaders to facilitate that generational transition. It will be interesting to see, over the next several years, what is done and how successful it is.

It is also interesting to note that at the highest level of the BSA (the National Executive Board), the baby boomer generation is not that heavily represented. That group is still very substantially populated by the WWII "greatest" generation.

Many thanks to NieLup.

He has done a far better job of explainung the presentation then I did.

He makes a good point in that the people at the "Top"?? Are still the WWII generation.

While here in good old Westmoreland Fayette Council we do have a Scout Exec. Who is about my age (Very late 40's). Most of the people who serve on the Council Executive Board are older. In fact I'm about the youngest on the board.

While all of these board members have Scouting in their heart. We do seem to spend a lot of time looking back, not forward.

As a board these people are making choices that have long term affects on what the outcome of Scouting will be in our council in the years too come.

The old saying "Keep doing what your doing and you will get what you got," Is not true.

If we don't accept that change is happening. One of these days we will wake up and find that change has overtaken us.

As a value based organization are we in touch with the values of today?

My Mother-in-law,(A real nice Lady) was a den mother for many years. She never worked outside the home. Once a week the house was overtaken by her den.

My Father-in-law, was a creature of habit. He ate his meals at the same time every day. So the night of the den meeting everything was a rush. The house had to be in order for when the den arrived. It helped that he was also a Scoutmaster.

If we look at todays Den Leader. We might see a different picture.

Is he or she divorced?

How many dens are meeting in the Den Leaders house?

When I was Den Leader, it was a rush at home so "Den Night" Was pizza night.

When I was Cubmaster I saw more and more parents who wanted to stay at the den meeting with their son. They didn't want to do much. Just stay.

The Dens were getting bigger and bigger. Due to the lack of adults that didn't want to do much.

We were trying to do what we could within the guidelines of a outdated program. That still needs to be fixed. Why? Because the "Ozzie and Harriett" Family unit is no longer the norm. It may never have been.

There is a lot of disscussion in these forums about Eagle Scout and how it has become the be all and end all of Scouting and the Scouting Program.

Is this a result of the "Whats in it for me?" Generation?

Are we happy to allow this to remain that way?

But by far the most important question is. What are we doing at District and Council levels to bring the next generation into the fold?

That could be followed by "What happens if we don't?"

Wow I must have too much time on my hands.

Eamonn

"As a value based organization are we in touch with the values of today?"

Should we be? Presidents who lie on the stand. 12 year olds getting pregnant. Killing someone is okay if you are depressed and a woman. Cheating is not only expected but accepted.

I agree with Fat Old Guy. Should we be concerned with todays values? If values are based on some strong foundation (like the Bible), what were once good values should remain good values no matter how society has changed its perception of good or which generation it is. I would rather see the BSA fold and go away before it changes its value system.

SM406

"It is the WWII (depression) generation that is motivated by money."

I think that the depression generation wasn't motivated by money so much as they were motivated by security: a good job, a nice house, and a safe future. It is the boomers, especially the late boomers, who are the "greed is good" crowd.

"If a fisherman bait his hook with the kind of food that he likes, he will not catch many, certainly not the shy, game kind of fish. He therefore baits his hook with the kind of food that the fish like."

BP, Aids to Scoutmastership

I do not believe that anyone is suggesting compromising the values of the Scout Oath and Law. However, I do believe that each generation and indeed each individual can and must interpret and personally accept the Oath and Law for their own lives and their own times.

Probably the most striking example for me comes from the time of Vietnam. Some people interpreted "Duty to Country" to mean going to Vietnam, fighting and sometimes dying for their country. Others interpreted "Duty to Country" to mean opposing the war and doing everything possible to end US involvement risking, in some cases, prison and estrangement from one's family and friends and one's society. The same words -- Duty to Country. Good dedicated Scouts and Scouters. Arriving at exactly opposite conclusions.

We are chartered to provide training in citizenship, character and fitness for the next generations of youth and citizens. If we are unable or unwilling to "bait the hook" for them so that they accept and believe in Scouting and its values as we do then I believe that we are failing in our mission and our purpose. We will have become an adult camping society and we probably should go out of business.

This may be neither easy nor comfortable for those of us who have stacked on a number of birthdays :) However, if our youth stand up and promise to be "Helpful", "Friendly", "Courteous", "Cheerful" and especially "Brave", can we expect any less of ourselves.

I'm a Gen X'er and just finished one of my midterms which happened to have a whole section on this topic for my Organizational Behavior Course. I had to do a study of Rokeach Value Surveys (I'm sure whoever wrote that powerpoint slideshow studied the same sort of info)and this is what I learned:

Veterans tend to be loyal to their employers and are likely to place the greatest importance on a comfortable life and family security.

Boomers place a great deal of emphasis on achievement and material success. They're pragmatists who believe that ends can justify means. Boomers see the organizations that employ them merely as vehicles for their careers. Terminal values such as a sense of accomplishment and social recognition rank high with them.

Xers value flexibility, life options, and the achievement of job satisfaction. Family and relationships are very important to them. They also enjoy team-oriented work. Money is important as an indicator of career performance but Xers are willing to trade off salary increases, titles, security and promotions for increased leisure time and expanded lifestyle options. Xers are less willing to make personal sacrifices for the sake of their employers than previous generations were. They rate high on true friendship, happiness and pleasure.

Nexters have high expectations, believe in themselves and are confident about their ability to succeed. They seem to be on a never-ending search for the ideal job, see nothing wrong with constant job hopping and continually look for meaning in their work. Nexters are at ease with diversity and take technology for granted. They enjoy teamwork but are also highly self-reliant. They tend to emphasize terminal values such as freedom and a comfortable life.

"The generation before us was wraped up in what they had."

I don't know about that, the generation before us went en mass to fight despotism around the world. They sacrificed more than we can imagine. Not just their lives but things that we take for granted vanished during the war: sugar, shoes, gasoline. Can you imagine going to the grocery store and being told that you had already bought your allocation of ground beef?