Generation X - Please Come Forward.

Some where I have a power point presentation which divides people into groups.

Starting in about 1900 it shows how developments both technical, social and political have changed the way adults view their role in Scouting.

I think it is on the hard drive on my laptop which is at work!!

What prompts me to bring it up is the thread on Pow Wows and how it seems the attendance is dwindling.

If I were to put myself in one of these groups I would be in the tail end of the "Baby-boomers"

As a group we are classified as "Questioners or Challengers".

We were the ones who challenged the "System" and wanted to know the "Why"

The next group is listed as "Generation X".

These are classified as the "Whats In It For Me" group.

As I look around our district we are still getting a lot of new leaders and new blood, mainly in Cub Scouting. These leaders are happy to do stuff in their units with their son.

However they seem to show very little interest in activities outside of their own home unit.

I see them at Training. A few a the odd round table and at some of the camps where their son is.That seems to be about it.

They show no interest in things like Pow Wow, District or Council Dinners.Or serving on any committee.

Is this a sign of the times?

What can be done to regenerate interest in this type of activity?

Is there any reason why we ought to try too regenerate interest?

One thing that does concern me, is that a good many of these leaders are only in Scouting for as long as their son is active. If this trend continues we will have a hard time finding people to fill the positions that the "Oldtimers" will soon be vacating due to old age and death.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One thing that does concern me, is that a good many of these leaders are only in Scouting for as long as their son is active."

I've noticed that as well but that is true of many boomers as well. Then again, I have an acquaintance who is an Eagle Scout, joined the Marines, did his time, got out, found a troop and has been an ASM for the past decade. He's not married and has no children.

"...the "Oldtimers" will soon be vacating due to old age and death."

Hey...I resemble that remark! I still have (most of) my own teeth and can still stand upright.

But I do agree with the observation that more and more adult volunteers/leaders in Scouting tend to end their participation upon Juniors departure. That's not all that new. Adults have come and gone with their sons for as long as Scouting has been around. Today it seems more prevalent. The adult leader who comes and stays out of enjoyment and commitment is by far more the exception than the rule. And it never ceases to amaze me when young parents, upon learning how long some of us have been with Scouting as volunteers, let their jaws drop...deer-in-headlights stare...and then off they go with a..."see ya!" In our area it seems that even many of the youth sporting groups suffer a similar situation. Parents come and drop the kids off...and off to the mall or links they go...tah taaahhh... And when Junior ages out of whatever group he's in, most of the participating parents and whatever talent and enthusiasm they had are suddenly hard to find.

On the scale of things in our area that require adult volunteer participation, the percentage of available adults who do, in fact, participate seems lowest in Scouting. Team sports seems to have a higher percentage, but not all that much higher. Even Lions, Knights of Columbus, and others find falling numbers. It's come to the point where even the Masons are advertising for members on TV here. One time, one shot volunteer opportunites for fund raising here and there for Cancer, Heart & Lung, Diabetes, Battered Women, and many other good and worthy causes prevail in the participation numbers. It's only one time...no commitment, and very worthy. But one time nonetheless. Then home again, home again...wriggity jig...

We used to joke around about BSA standing for Babysitters of America. But current and growing participation problems among the available parent corps in many areas tends to make that seem all too true.

(This message has been edited by saltheart)

I want to do this carefully because I do not wish to offend any of my good buddies on this forum, but just consider, could the problem be in the present leadership?

It has taken six years, a sledge hammer and a chiesel to make any type of inroad to the District. You've heard of Artic Musk Ox standing shoulder to shoulder? You havent seen our District Committee. Perhaps newcomers would be more apt to help if they were warmly greeted and invited to help on a personal level.

I was born in '59 (not 18...), so I believe that puts me on the border of the boomers. My sons and I have been out of scouting for about 5 years now. I was not involved after they left scouting because there was always so much to do. Now, I find I have more time, I'm getting more vacation time, etc.. and I really wanted to be involved in scouting because it is such a worthwhile program. Heck, I plain have fun with the kids and their parents both. I am the troop committee chair - for now- but am looking for my replacement so I can do things on the district level. I, too see that most younger parents care nothing for being involved outside the local level. This seems to be happening more in every area. Look at our churches and see the rise in non-denominational churches. Maybe the answer lies with those of us who can be involved on a larger area. A good example is much better than just telling people they need to be involved!

Scouters are some of the best folks in the world and we need to stick together!

BD

Eamonn,

You raise two issues:

1) Adult volunteers who don't extend themselves into District and Council positions.

To this I agree. I know in my situation (and others in my Troop feel the same way), we truly prefer working with our unit to getting involved in the politics of Council relations. We keep our heads down in our own little foxhole. Whenever we've had reason to lift our heads, the crossfire has been scary! I'd give you an example we've got going right now, but it's long (even for my standards!)

2) Keeping volunteeers after their sons are gone.

I agree again. I can understand why most anyone who isn't a SM would walk away after their son is gone. Much of the allure of Scouting, and volunteering in Scouting, is gone when our son is, unless you are working directly with boys. I do have a suggestion to stem this tide, If anyone is interested. Either Councils have access to the records that show when a volunteer's son is ready to age out, or they could begin collecting that data easily. I also have found that recruiting volunteers is most sucessful when I approach them directly and ask them to do something very specific. Combining these two, how difficult would it be to have the DE, or someone else from Council contact these volunteers directly to discuss staying in Scouting? Especially at the District level.

I make the mistake sometimes of basing my assumptions about others on what I see and feel. I know that is wrong. But here is a case I think I could be right. I am the Advancement Chair with my Troop now. I love it, and do not want to sacrifice any of the time I spend at this, with my son, to work with the District. I have been asked almost constantly to consider Commisioner Service. I have steadfastly said no while I am active with my Troop. Once my youngest is 18, I absolutely would like to pursue this. I've already made my decision, but I've been being asked. How many others get asked? And even if they do, wouldn't asking at the right time (as their sons' career in Scouting is coming to an end) be more sucessful?

Eamonn - Great points.

Mark

OGE, you bring up a good point and I've seen that in many organizations.

We have one parent registered from nearly 1/2 of our Scouts but our troop still needs help. Why? Too many parents say, "just let me know what I can do" but when you call on them, they have an excuse every time. To them, "helping out" is bringing soda to the Christmas Winter Holiday Party.

Generation X starts with people who were born in mid-1965. I was born at the end of 1965, so I'm a member of Generation X.

There are some differences between Generation X-ers and Baby Boomers. One major one that I have noticed is that in spite of the "What's in it for me?" label that is applied with a very broad brush to my generation, we really are not motivated by money. Hold out a bonus at work to a Baby Boomer and odds are it will motivate him/her. Do the same for a Generation X-er and it won't do much.

When it comes to my own involvement in volunteer activities (which in my case means outside of Scouting) I tend to be very task oriented. I once agreed to be on the Board of Christian Education for my church, but quit going because the meetings didn't do anything -- praying and eating cookies one Tuesday each month and having a title was, IMHO, a complete waste of my time.

My Kiwanis Club does a pancake fundraiser one day a year (last year we served 8,849 people) and I get behind that effort big time -- it's task oriented. I'm the inter-club chairman for my club, which is also very task oriented. The title doesn't excite me, but the task does.

I've found the same kind of trend in Scouting. One year as a District Director, I had no Family FOS chairman -- but I had 20 people "helping to raise the goal." Task oriented. Get in, get it done, get out.

DS

Although I am Technically a baby-boomer,(July,1964), I consider my self a gen-x-er.

I am an ASM,recently joined on as an advisor for my dauters Girl scout studio2B group,activly support sons High school basketball team and my daughters high school band,teach sunday school and help my autistic son with his homework on a nightly basis. What's in all of this for me? The same thing that was in it for all those born before me. PRIDE In any organization there are those that do and those that don't but if everyone did there would be too many chiefs and not enough indians.(This message has been edited by andrewcanoe)

I'm like andrewcanoe. I think really those born in '64 are the lost generation. True baby boomers and Gen X don't consider us part of them.

As to topic, I think there is so much more offered today to our youth of all ages that compete for our time. A parent is glad to shed one task off as the youth takes on another group. Some of the recent Harris study shows compelling reasons (what parents and youth want and what scouting offers) to keep involved in scouting. The brochures seem to explain it well, but I had a hard time getting them and have never seen it promoted. It all comes down to marketing,IMHO. If we run a program that competes better for the scouts attention, they'll stay. If we sell the merits and benefits to parents, they'll stay. Sounds simplistic, but hard to do. If we do the first part, we'll have the parents for 12-15 years (1st through 12th or age 21). Well enough babbling over my lunch period. I'm sure this will spark some replies.

Overtrained

I am a Gen-Xer in my early 30s, I started as an Assistant Scoutmaster when my wife was pregnant with our first child. He is now 7 and just started Tiger Cubs this year. In the Past Seven years I have served as ASM, SM for 5 years, District Training Chair, Roundtable Commissioner, Wood Badge Staff 5 times I will be the Course Director in 2004, I am currently a Cubmaster, Assistant District Commissioner, and I will be ASM for a council National Jamboree Troop in 2005 years before my oldest boy is eligible to attend. All this before my three sons are even in Scouting.

Part of the problem with new volunteers committing more time is that parents work more, commute longer than ever before, to have a stay at home mother is the exception rather than the rule. In my families case we decided that it is worth having a smaller house, older car etc to have my wife be at home and raise our children. I am lucky to have a job with very flexible hours. I can be home in the afternoon with my children then put in another couple of hours of work when theyve gone to bed. Not everybody has this much time. We were going to move further out in the suburbs to get a bigger house but decided that the extra 2 hours a day in commute werent worth it.

When I started becoming more involved with the District it was very similar to Old Gray Eagle, I love the imagery of the Musk Ox huddle, which described our District committee. Some are helpful and some we might be better off if they backed off some. They were very territorial and all the meeting, training and roundtables were aim to their tastes. Their attitude doesnt encourage people to step up. Well to quote BP A fisherman does not bait his hook with food he likes. He uses food the fish likes. So with boys so it is with Gen Xers and new potential volunteers. Some people have been around so long they cant remember what it was like to be new, not know anything or anybody.

I have been quite successful on the troop and district level in getting new volunteers/leaders. If you arent getting new leaders stepping forward or accepting positions we need to understand why and to simply say oh theyre just GenXers isnt enough. We need to make new people feel welcome at the Musk Ox huddle.

Your friendly neighborhood GenX'er,

John

I am a boomer...class of '54. I stepped up to be the District Training Chair, because there was no one else who did. We are a brand new district because ours split. All of the musk oxen happened to fall into the other districts, so I saw my break and went for it. The book says "You don't have to DO the training, just manage it." Yeah, right.

The Dist Commissioner is having similar problems assembling a Commissioner staff, and after a year, still doesn't have a RT staff, or Unit Commissioners. Perhaps it is because when people are recruited, we are not upfront with them and the job "mushrooms" way beyond the "only one hour a week", and then they bail out. To do these jobs right, one can really have no other outside interests, IMHO, because there is something that needs doing every night of the week, if not actual meetings, then in preparation time. And that doesn't even include my Troop and OA commitments.

It is disheartening to plan a training event, not to mention the personal time and money spent making copies, only to have ten people register and then only half of them actually show up. This week I had at least 10 people call my house to ask if they could still attend, because they had not pre-registered. I said "sure!", and then I had to scramble to find a bigger meeting room at the last minute. ONE of them showed up. Boy did I feel like a big SUCKER!

It's not the "what's in it for me" attitude...it's the common rudeness that seems to be pervading our society at all levels. It's certainly not Scout-like.

One recommendation I am going to make to the Council Training Chair is to have combined training events with multiple districts. I'd much rather help teach one course of 20 people than have to prepare for four courses of 5 each. My time is valuable, too, and I don't appreciate being taken for granted.

Boomer here, one step away from the leading edge (I heard that, I am not one step away from the grave! I hope.). I may actually collect a couple of years worth of social security before it pops.

...unless someone shoots me first. (if this happens, my wife had nothing to do with it...you listening dear?)

I tend to think that the only real difference is age. Most people want very nearly the same things. Although...students in my courses seem to be less well-prepared than they were 10 years ago.

The parents of boys in this troop are all gen-x'ers and if leaders ask they come forward in droves to help. Sometimes arriving late, sometimes unprepared, but there nevertheless. As I said, much the same as for the boomers. I guess I don't see much difference. As for me, my son has been out of scouts for a while but I'm hanging on, at least for a few years. Yep, unlike tricky Dickie, you will have me to kick around anymore. Huh?

Part of the presentation asks:

What is the average age of the National Committee?

What is the average age of the District Committee?

What is the average age of the parents in your Unit?

This leads up to the question " Are we in touch with the people who are or soon will be leading our units?"

These guys and gals have a different way of seeing things then some of us older guys. Who may not have one foot in the grave. But are now wearing bifocals.

If these new adults are also parents. How will this new way of seeing things effect the BSA? And are we ready for the change?

For example when I was a Scout back in England my leaders were very loyal to the Queen and the royal family. People would wait at the end of a movie and stand for the national anthem.

With all that has gone on over there in the past few years there is a change in attitude.

The English Scout promise still has "Duty to God and the Queen" in it.

Over on this side of the pond we have seen the stuff on TV get more and more risky and things that were never talked about are now been shown in our homes.

I look in my mail box and everyday I get offers for credit cards with spending limits that are just silly.

What I'm getting at is that my values are not the same as those of the next generation.

I am not saying mine are any better, in fact in some areas I think that the younger generation is way a ahead of us old people.

They seem to have a far greater sense of justice then I was brought up with.

I was talking to someone from the United Way about people who volunteer. She said that the trend now is for people to sign on for a task that has very clear lines and has a timeline.

They do want to help. But they don't want it to be ongoing. Yes they will help build the house but when the house is built they are done.

If we look at the adults in Scouting and we were to try and do more of this kind of stuff. We would need a lot more people and we would need to change our mindset.

While the turn out for people to cook at the pancake breakfast is good and the volunteers will work their hearts out. How many of these workers will sit on a committee to decide where the money goes?

Worse still what happens when they find out that they don't like where the money went?

Will they be back?

Please don't think that I am in any way putting any any generation or the make up of the BSA down.

I do wonder if this organization (Which I love ) which claims to "Be Prepared" really is?

Someone throw another log on the fire.

Eamonn

I sat through an extensive presentation at a Regional Training Event for professionals about Generation X. The presentation was given by the author of a prominent book about Generation X and, as an X-er myself, I paid attention to all aspects of the presentation. The Scout Executives and middle managers were all nodding with understanding at the frustrations the baby boomers had with the members of my generation.

That presentation was held 13 years ago. At Tan-Tara resort in Missouri. Thirteen years have now gone by.

Generation X is here and we are running things. The President of the United States is a baby boomer, as is the Chief Scout Executive, as is the Regional Director of each region. However, within the next 5-7 years, all of those guys are going to be retired. Within 5-7 years, my generation will be running the show. Some already are. The Scout Executive of Cleveland is a generation x-er. There are others, but I don't know them all.

Time marches on. The baby boomers will probably be nervous that an X-er will take away their social security, etc. Relax, there's nothing you can do to stop the next generation from taking over eventually, so why not enjoy the ride.

When this topic comes up, I try not to get offended and am successful most of the time. This is one such time.

I do like to point out that the WWII generation was very nervous when the baby boomers took over. That's where we are now and have been since about the time of the presentation about us lazy, selfish, unmotivated Generation X-ers was made 13 years ago.

I'll tell you what we should worry about (he whispered conspiratorially.) It's the Generation Y -- who were about 10 years old when I heard the Revelation in Missouri.

The three DE's I was with slinging popcorn this morning are all members of Generation Y and I don't understand any of them. Their values are solid, but they're different than mine.

In twenty eight years, when I retire, they're going to steer the ship. Lord, I hope they don't sink it.

More importantly, I hope I don't sink it when I get my hands on the wheel.

DS