Ran across this article

DALLAS (Reuters) - Boy Scouts of America is discussing ending a longstanding ban on gay members and whether to allow local organizations to decide their own policy, a spokesman said on Monday.

The organization has been under attack from gay rights groups and some parents for discriminating against gay members and gay leaders.

"The BSA is discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation," spokesman Deron Smith said in an email to Reuters.

"The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue," the spokesman said.

What is everyones feelings on this

I think it's the right hing to do. Let the charter organizations choose. BSA provides the program structure. The charter orgs vouch for the character of the unit leaders.

At the same time though, if I learned that my son's scoutmaster practiced an alternative life style, I'd move my son to another troop. No hate. Not worried about abuse. Just the example it sets and I have to look out for my own sons.

Let the exodus begin, another step in the distruction of morality. My Charter Org would have a fit and specifically forbids it. So would I.

I note the phrasing is "discussing". I suspect this all PR trying to show how compasionate we are after the screw ups on the "files".

Stinks of dodging lawsuits, push all the responsibility down to the local councils and Charter orgs which do not have the money to fight this fight.

Guest OldGreyEagle

I am not closing this because I don't want it talked about, just talk about it in the longer thread on the topic regarding the NBC News Release and no, I don't have a connection with NBC news (This message has been edited by a staff member.)