I would like to thank Mr. LeRoy for adding a touch of serious debate to our deliberations. It is a good thing to be reminded what is important, even if by the demand to define for ourselves what "it" is.

And the world would be a much duller place, if everyone agreed on everything, nicht war?

I'm just not sold on the whole "homosexuality-is-OK" bandwagon. I'm just too much of a skeptic, and I feel the issue is more complex than news bites make it out to be. I also feel the BSA's policies are meant to be defensive and keep problems from happening.

Meryln comes in badgering quite a bit, so his approach can be unpleasant sounding. I just don't see how his voice will ever really make a difference, but give him credit for his energy and his laser-like focus on this one issue. On the other hand, of course, this focus means he's a one-track pony.

For me, the big issue ain't changing the BSA. It's the more important one of getting our society to realize that we should live by at least some moral standards and not just by our appetites.

I can only say that I admire Merlyn's determination and dedication to "his" cause. I don't agree with any of it, but, I admire his devotion to his position.

Debating with Merlyn is exhausting. Accordingly, I have decided to continue my self imposed ban on debating with Merlyn.

Merlyn, I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for. I suppose you give some of us food for thought. Again, I don't agree with you, but in the end, I admire you devotion to your position. Best wishes.

Gonzo1

Eagle77, your position and apology are yours to do with what you wish, but I don't think you have a reason to apologize for anything.

You were commenting on Merlyn's beliefs and behavior. His comments have been made in a public forum, over several years. They aren't private. You have a much right as Merlyn to voice your thoughts. We all know he isn't shy! I didn't detect any unscoutlike tone or words in your posts.

While I don't engage in debate with Merlyn, I watch others that do...it's tough, because if you have a 70 pound dog, he says he's got an 80 pound dog...if you have a 90 lb dog, his is 100 lbs...it never ends....

While I disagree with his beliefs, I respect the fact that he's entitled to them. His debate style isn't productive, but again, that's his style and more power to him.

You make a good point: I wonder why he doesn't lobby National? Or has he, and we don't know about it?

I think Merlyn evokes such a negative response from many of you because he is usually right and is not afraid to let you know it. If he were wrong, you'd just move on and not let it get under your skin.

I couldn't agree with you less, Gern.

You know, the tough thing for me personally about the whole homosexuality wars is that I've known a number of homosexuals who are fine people. I've also been stalked by a homosexual and abusively propositioned a few times when I was younger, so that practical experience makes me leery of the whole deal. I can't buy the whole story there; I'm a skeptic about the "homosexuality is OK" bandwagon, and the various bits of professional psychology seem all over the map on the issue.

Given the BSA is a large and big bucks organization, I can appreciate an organizational mentality toward extreme litigation fears and defensive action. I think national's position is "better safe than sorry."

I agree with Beavah's above comment that a LOT of youth go through an agnostic or atheist phase as a teenager. I was there once. I think many of us where. It's best for the BSA not to be stringent on this issue.

I have been stalked and attacked by heterosexuals. That does not make me hate all heteros. Or all men. And what on earth does this have to do with Merlyn. "

for me it has nothing to do with Merlyn. It DOES color how I view the homosexual stuff.

Guest OldGreyEagle

I don't like Eponymous threads, never have. Last time I closed a bunch of threads I was regarded fairly harshly but it's time to do it again. The forums are to express opinions on scouting topics, and in here, on just about anything but not each other (yes, I know thats not in the fine print)

But to call people out is not right. If you dont like it, start an OGE thread and let me have it, just don't reference anyone else

• 9 months later...