Don't know about you out there, but doesn't it seem kind of strange that Merlyn keeps shoving in our faces "his " issues with BSA? Don't know about many of you but I haven't signed any contract with the public schools or any of the other things that he continues to bring up and shove in our faces. Now I may not be happy with that end of the deal, but there really isn't much I as a volunteer I can do about it. If he is trying to drive me away from this program that won't work either, just one smile or that look of accomplishment on a young boys face is so priceless I can't explain it. To me it's like being a store owner and complaining to the delivery truck driver that I am upset with the taste of the soda that you just delivered. The driver has nothing to do with that at all does he? Seems to me Merlyn should be voicing his complaints to the Professionals that run our program not us volunteers.

As distasteful as some of the threads are, Merlyn does serve the purpose of causing us to examine our positions and thus being prepared if some of these issues were to arise in our Troops.

I wish we could have these discussions with a little less rancor at times but when one persons agenda feels like it is driven by a distaste for something you value, it is hard not to personalize that distaste in to a judgment of the reader - especially when it is ongoing and ongoing and...., and I feel it is possible that Merlyn feels the same. Not assured, but possible.

My scouting and training have taught me to look at all opinions both pro and con. I have yet to see one positive thing from him at all. It just seems to me that he has an axe to grind and instead of taking it to the grinding wheel (BSA) he has brought it here to the watering hole (volunteers). I'm an "intelectual coward" because I don't get all bent out of shape because of some contract that I know nothing about and had nothing to do with.

I'll have to agree with Lisabob. This is really bad form and now it appears to come from both sides of the mudhole. Though I can't blame Merlyn for trying to defend himself, but I can fault his approach.

We are, for the most part, adults and should know how to deal with all personality types in "Courteous" and "Kind" manner. If you feel the other fellow isn't playing by the rules, don't play with him.

I would strongly suggest that a Mod lock this thread ASAP>

Merlyn irritates me...sometimes.

He actively participates in the very activity that he accuses us of ( being close minded and discriminatory) . He asks you somethuing and twist your words around in a most juvinile way.

But, He is also a human being and (as far as I know) an American Citizen who pays his taxes. He has the same rights as the rest of us even if it is annoying to me.

While I may not agree with or share his views, beliefs or lack of... I wholely defend his right to have, live by and express them as I have the right to do so myself.

And although it may not pertain to his exact set of beliefs, I am glad that not every individual does not think the exact same way, lest we never learned the world was not flat, that the sun did not revolve around the earth, and that epilepsy was not having a fit!

Merlyn really isn't doing what alot of us should be doing: questioning things we think are not on the up and up.

Granted, as was said above, we do not write or create policy, but just volunteer for the kids..therefore his questions are aimed at the wrong target, but are - for the most part..valid questions.

Sigh... I can't believe I just said that! LOL!

eaglr77,

Actually, that's you being human. We all get mad, irritated, and need to vent and blow off steam about what( or who) upsets us.

It would be a problem if you kept it to yourself and physically acted on it!

Besides, you didn't resort to actual name calling or directly insulting.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)