There is a serious amount of discussion within the hierarchy of the troop to which my son belongs. They DISCOURAGE boys from advancing at too rapid a pace. All of their sons got their eagle reqs completed just under the wire. The scouts that have followed are continuing this pattern. Our son is 14.5 and has completed his eagle project and over 60 merit badges (his goal is to get them all). I think he has missed two meetings since joining scouts and they meet weekly even throughout the summer. He has held many leadership positions within scouts and other groups. He's an all around good kid. The problem: he's getting crap from the leaders that he's not old enough. As his parents we are encouraging him to follow his dream and set an example for the younger scouts and to set a new standard within the troop. We'd appreciate others thoughts on this and how my son can deal with these naysayers.(This message has been edited by cookiemonster)

I have also observed this incorrect 'sentiment'. Fortunately I managed to beat it down in this unit. I did this by asking the leaders who felt this way to write clear, concise, universal additional requirements that ALL scouts in the unit will be required to meet. They couldn't.

So here's a way to approach this: Ask them to show you the official requirements and rules where there is an age limitation. Ask them why they would stifle a boy's initiative in this manner? Ask them to consult with the DE or council about their additional requirements.

If all else fails, transfer your enthusiastic son to a more deserving unit.

Edited part: I'm copying this reply to the duplicate that already has a dialogue running. Sorry. Please don't respond further. Perhaps a moderator will remove some of the duplicates and put the thread into a more appropriate forum.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)