Juris is trying to answer

My Scouters: I am trying to answer all of your questions and comments on my concepts of running a successful Troop...but I am overwhelemed. There are many of you who are in support of my ideas. I am glad that you have an open mind. One thought for you at this time ," What is more important, to adhere strictly to some useless BSA concepts,and have a small unit, or work to increase your Troop size, so you can teach the basic principles of Scouting , to more boys ? " ..."Keep it simple, and make it fun " Juris.

Juris -

What BSA concepts do you find useless?

What do you consider are the basic principles of Scouting?

What do you differently from the BSA program that allowed the Troop to grow to 90 scouts?

Please be specific and let us know.

This forum is to exchange ideas.

I am always interested in what works and why

Juris,

I went back and read all 8 of your current posts (including the one where you referred to another member of this community as a 'jerk').

It appears that the #1 thing that was done to increase your program was to working with the sports teams to keep the schedules from interfering with your troop plans.

What I don't understand is...

You claim to have had a "waiting list" of scouts wanting to join that caused your district/council to split your troop. I was not aware that there was a limit on the number of scouts a troop could have. Or was that one of the things that you added to make your program more inviting?

Because your troop size shrunk (due to the forced split), you no longer had the influence on the coaches. What prevented the scouts that were moved to the other troop from transferring back to your troop? If your program was really that strong, they would have come bursting down the doors - at least the people on the "waiting list".

It sounds like (if there really was a troop at all), that a different troop was started, following the BSA program (not just the parts you agreed with), and members RAN from your group - to the other one.

Just my opinion (normally I don't feed the trolls, but I could not resist this one).

Kurt

Uncleguineau asks Juris:

Did you mean to say "My *fellow* Scouters?" What you said was, "My Scouters."

Well, if he meant it literally, that would be a whole new variation on the "My troop" vs. "The unit which I am honored and privileged to serve" controversy.

Or maybe Juris is actually God?

Juris,

I've been involved in growing three troops as SM over the past 20 years - the first to 125 scouts, the second to 110 scouts, and the most recent to 60 scouts in a little over three years. Throw in a pack that I took from 20 scouts to 100 in two years as CM. (I hate talking numbers, since quantity is never the issue...but you started it). In each case, ours was not the only game in town, we have always been surrounded by scores of other units within a 15 mile radius. I and my fellow leaders always followed the 'BSA concepts' and processes as closely as we possibly could. What did I do wrong? I found that the BSA program, when followed, is very successful by your definition of unit growth. Have you ever tried it?

I just gotta say that Juris may not be much of bias commentator but he is one heck of a fisherman...

Just like KurtB and I'm sure others of you noticed, Juris signed in one day, hit 5 or so forums and then vanished...sounds like someone was on a fishing expedition and by our replies, he sure landed some big ones...

I would be surprised if he was an adult..the syntax of his speech and use of arbitrary opinions with lack of credibility certainly sounded like an immature Scout wannabee that wanted to see what kind of actions he/she could elicit and we did not fail...

Time to hit "ignore" and move on to members with real substance...