Does the BSA Have a Position on Abortion?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Ed, I'm with firstpusk on the refrigerated peanut butter issue. I've encountered this now and then when some member of my family has put the peanut butter in the refrigerator. I want my peanut butter to spread on the bread, not stay in an unyielding clump.

Gentlemen, gentlemen.... (and ladies), There is no reason for such discord. I must confess to selecting creamy which you all must assuredly agree is most readily available. But really!! I am sure in the quiet of the night, each of you has on occasion, stealthily taken the chunky and consumed it without regard to your neighbor's opinion.(This message has been edited by boleta)

Rooster, I know this response is not going to satisfy you, but Scouting does deal with non-Scouting issues, and it does so by teaching Scouts that part of good citizenship is learning about national and local issues and making their voices heard -- and having them practice doing so. This is part of the requirements of two Eagle-required merit badges:

Citizenship in the Nation, requirement 5:

"Name your two senators and the congressman from your congressional district. Write a letter to one of these elected officials on a national issue sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response to your counselor."

Citizenship in the Community, requirement 7:

"Select a city, county, or school problem or issue under consideration from the local newspaper or news broadcast and write a letter expressing your views to the mayor, administrator, or school board president. Show this letter and any response to your counselor."

(Obviously the first is more on point than the second in this case, but I think that both contribute to a single theme, which may be stated as: A good citizen is knowledgeable about public issues and participates in the legislative process by making known his views on the issues.)

But what Scouting does NOT do is to tell the Scouts which issue or issues to be concerned about (of course there may be suggestions in the merit badge pamphlets, I have not seen them for almost 30 years so I don't know what they say these days), or what to think about the issues they select. So a Scout could select abortion as his issue, or at least I assume he could, since I see no prohibition here on issues that are really divisive.

SR540Beaver & NJ,

The question at the beginning of the thread, and the one I responded to was:

Does the BSA Have a Position on Abortion?

Im saying they should take a position, just as they have taken a stance on homosexuality. We are a values based organization. If a reporter asked a BSA representative what's our stance on child molestation or rape, I would hope he'd be bold enough to say, "We're against it!" as opposed to "no comment". There will be a day, whether itll be in heaven or on earth I cant say, when all men will look back to this time in history and say, How could theyve allowed those monstrous things to be done against such innocent and helpless children? History will judge. If the BSA has any foresight, they'd speak out against abortion. How can any organization that claims to love children, not speak out?

Yeah refrigerated CPB! Has to be Jiff! On Ritz! Not some sissy Wonderbread! Warm PB gets all runny and tastes like snot! And I don't like jelly so it isn't an issue!

And yes this does relate to Scouting! All good Scouter's know that PB&J MUST be on the tables for ALL meals!

Ed "CCPB" Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, you must be one of those choosy scouters - they choose JIF, I hear. I agree on the wonderbread. I prefer a good Finnish rye myself. And yes, pb&j along with bread belong on any good scouter's table at camp.

Guest OldGreyEagle

Rooster, First of all, I agree abortion is murder, but I don't think the BSA needs to make a pulic statement on it.

The BSA already has established the 5 Unacceptables:

Crime

Child Abuse

Drug Abuse

Hunger

Illiteracy

Youth Unemployment

And I see Abortion as the most extreme example of child abuse.

Now, I can also see the argument, whats so hard about comming out and saying the BSA is against abortion. But I don't think it wise to have the BSA start to issue positions on political issues. Next, the question will be does the BSA support the war in Iraq, What does the BSA think of the post-war plan? What does the BSA think about the Presidents "Leave no Child Behind" program. etc.

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

I think the position on Abortion is clear

Are you guys done talking about which kind of peanut butter you like to spread all over your body and let your dog lick off.....your guys are gross!

Anyone actually look at the posted link?

Rooster,

Come on! What other issues do you want BSA to issue position statements on? My 11 year old Boy Scout son doesn't even know how babys are made yet. Why should he have to defend the BSA's position on abortion when he is out selling popcorn to someone who takes issue with BSA's position. From time to time you hear of people jumping on a Scout over the Gay/atheist stance. All we need is to expose boys to more of that. Deliver the program as designed, don't turn the BSA or your unit into a political organization. If you teach boys the ABC's (Scout Oath and Law) of ethical behavior, the rest will fall into place without having to tell them what to think.