Does the BSA Have a Position on Abortion?

Does the BSA Have a Position on Abortion?

I URGE YOU YOU TO LOOK AT THE CUTE PICTURES!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3846525.stm

Scans uncover secrets of the womb

Baby 'walking' in the womb

A new type of ultrasound scan has produced vivid pictures of a 12 week-old foetus "walking" in the womb.

The new images also show foetuses apparently yawning and rubbing its eyes.

The scans, pioneered by Professor Stuart Campbell at London's Create Health Clinic, are much more detailed than conventional ultrasound.

Professor Campbell has previously released images of unborn babies appearing to smile.

He has compiled a book of the images called Watch Me Grow.

Conventional ultrasound, usually offered to mothers at 12 and 20 weeks, produces 2D images of the developing foetus.

These are very useful for helping doctors to measure and assess the growth of the foetus, but convey very little information about behaviour.

Complex behaviour

More pictures of developing foetuses

Professor Campbell has perfected a technique which not only produces detailed 3D images, but records foetal movement in real time.

He says his work has been able to show for the first time that the unborn baby engages in complex behaviour from an early stage of its development.

Professor Campbell told the BBC: "This is a new science for understanding and mapping out the behaviour of the baby.

"Maybe in the future it will help us understand and diagnose genetic disease, maybe even conditions like cerebral palsy which puzzles the medical profession as to why it occurs."

The images have shown:

From 12 weeks, unborn babies can stretch, kick and leap around the womb - well before the mother can feel movement

From 18 weeks, they can open their eyes although most doctors thought eyelids were fused until 26 weeks

From 26 weeks, they appear to exhibit a whole range of typical baby behaviour and moods, including scratching, smiling, crying, hiccuping, and sucking.

Until recently it was thought that smiling did not start until six weeks after birth.

An hour long session using the new technology, which is not yet available on the NHS, costs 275.(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I've never expressed an opinion on this subject in this forum, and I plan to continue not doing so, but I will say that I am fairly certain the BSA takes no position on it, and has no reason to. (Hey, me and the BSA, happy together.) You know, with all of the controversy on the BSA's plate at this point, on subjects that directly affect the BSA (membership, funding sources, governmnet involvements, lawsuits, etc.), it seems to me that it really doesn't need to reach out for more controversies. Come to think of it, if you think of the "big issues" of the day in the political and judicial arenas, the BSA takes no position on the vast majority of them.

Jason,

Why would they? How does it relate to Scouting? The BSA is concerned with providing a program to boys that fulfills their mission statement. Having stands on every hot button issue of the day does not serve the boys who chose Scouting. A more relevant question is their stand on peanut butter. Chunky or smooth? ;) I'm a chunky fan and will fight to the death to defend it over smooth.

SR540:

Smooth (actually, I think "creamy" is the technically correct term.)

OK, that's it, plastic peanut-butter knives at 10 paces. (With any sharp or serrated edges filed off, of course, we don't want anyone to get hurt.)

NJ,

Sir, I stand corrected. It is "creamy" indeed. Since I keep my wife's creamy peanut butter pushed as far back in the pantry as possible, I don't see it enough to recall the correct term. Of course, in an extreme survival situation.....I would eat it out of necessity.

Guest OldGreyEagle

Anna One Anna Two:

Please make me a sandwhich

Out of peanut butter and jelly

Make me a sandwhich

So I can fill my belly

You know just what to fix

When I come for lunch

Sometimes its served with jelly

Other times with just the crunch

So make me a sandwhich

You know that its a must

Please make me a sandwhich

And could you please cut off the crust

I like to eat my sandwhich

With all kind of stuff

Sometimes with a touch of honey

And sometimes with the Fluff

When its time to eat

You can always count on mother

Sometimes she toasts the bread

And adds a touch of butter

So make me a sandwhich

To me there is no other

Make me a sandwhich

Toasted bread and peanut butter

Why would they? How does it relate to Scouting?

Okay, I was trying to ignore this thread, but I feel compelled to answer these rhetorical questions.

Why, because the BSA is a youth organization that should be interested in protecting children, even none members. If abortion were illegal, some 2 million more children would be born each year in these United States. I dare say many of those millions would be Scouts. Furthermore, if the pro-choice crowd had the gusts to look at the photos of pre-born children, theyd realize that abortion is the MURDER of innocent children. In other words EVERYONE should care! Controversial or notHot button or notit everyones concern, especially those groups that claim to support children.

Rooster,

I'm not pro-choice. But Scouting does not exist for the political or religious purposes of adult leaders who take an interest in current events. Tell me how you would incorporate anti-abortion polices into your unit's program. Would you do this during the patrol meetings, the skills session, the SM Minute, at a campfire program, etc. Should we put a section in the Handbook telling the boys the position they should take on abortion? The Scout Oath and Law is all the ethics a young boy needs in a nutshell. Combine that with caring adult leadership and examples and they can learn how to think for themselves and apply those simple points to complex issues.

evmori..

you must be kidding! I get outraged whenever my chunky pb get put into the fridge.

Our Council recommends that only the Jelly is to be chilled. The pb should be room or ambient temparature.

BTW this topic is much more relavent to scouting.

CE