I don't get what the problem is

I, for one, am glad there is a place where people quote the rules, Chapter and Verse. In fact, I wish the rules were clearer sometimes. For example, clear definitions of some important phrase, like "serve actively" would be helpful. But for the most part, after reading this forum, if people choose to ignore the rules, at least they do it with open eyes, and not out of ignorance.

As an aside, I agree some people could use a little more tact (myself included). I do believe, though, the general civility level on this forum has been improved. I appreciate that, too.

i don't know about the rest of you but i've called our council offices to ask questions about one rule or another to get clarification. i'm always told that i need to talk to my de. the problem is that the de doesn't return phone calls or emails. i've asked if i can come down to the council center and read the books for myself but i'm told that i need to talk to my de. it is always very frustrating.

Your District Committee should be meeting monthly. It may not meet in July- summer camp break. Your District Executive and District Committee Chairman will be present and can answer most of your questions or get you on the right track. As a District Committee Chairman, I assure you they will welcome your attendance at the meeting. You might learn something about how your district functions too!

Our DE is always at Roundtables. A quality Roundtable is priceless for information and fellowship.

I took a hiatus from this board at or around the "Wheeler" discussions. Looking in now at this time I see, perhaps, like the groundhog on Feb 2nd seeing his shadow, its still cold and unpleasant on this forum. Behavior here as in camp, and in the conduct of our daily lives is defined by the Scout Law. Anything otherwise is just bad behavior. Steal a penny from your employer, or steal millions....its still theft.

I thought this forum was for getting advise, giving advise, getting answers or giving answers and support. Any contributer offering otherwise simply needs to find another place to see their offerings in print. I just read here that spel czech isn't used as often as a few other individuals want. We're not all rocket scientists, we're not all idiots, either. Don't get all hung up off the point.

This "getting specific" isn't just here. Look at our former leader and the dialog of what "is" is and means. This from the highest office: shame.

As some of you already know I work in a prison. We have a very big law library, filled with hundreds of volumes redefining the Ten Commandments. Really, why does it need to redefined? Don't do this to this forum.

Stick to the forum for help, to give and to get and in the Scouting spirit.

Dave J! I guess I'll look in in about six weeks?

I have to say that it is nice to know the rules and use them. However, there are times where Unit Leaders and their respective Troop Committee need to bend or break a rule in the effort of making a better program for their scouts. That is why you have a Unit Committee to interpurt the guidelines and regulations set forth by the National Committee.

I also have to say that following rules in scouting makes it safer for everyone involved in the program. Heck, for that matter following rules in anything you do makes it safer and a lot more fun for everyone.

Anybody that gives Mr. White a hard time for informing us of the rules should be ashamed as he is only trying to do what he deems best. You can either follow his advice or not, but you really don't need to give him a hard time.

Yours in Scouting,

Mr. Jr. Assistant Scoutmaster

"Heck, for that matter following rules in anything you do makes it safer and a lot more fun for everyone."

Don't know about that. There's a college in New England, the name escapes me but I saw a story about it on the news, where they have rules for male/female interaction. Before each contact the guy must tell the girl what he intends to do and get her permission. This means that, by the rules, conversations on dates go like this:

He: I would like to hold your hand and gaze into your eyes. May I?

She: I accept your proposition to hold my hand and gaze into my eyes. However, you did not specify which hand.

He: Right hand.

She: That is satisfactory.

Later.

He: I would like to kiss you up the lips. May I.

She: Yes, you may.

He: I would like to kiss you on the cheek and then your ear.

The conversation would continue but you get the point.

Fun?