ACLU Re-Defines itself!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason,

My parents took me to church when I was two weeks old. I was there everytime the doors were open. My parents lived their faith in their daily life. I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior when I was 7 years old. My family and my church taught me about God. My relationship with Him is dependent on my faith. My son has been raised the same way my parents raised me and their parents before them. Mangers scenes at the Fire Department, prayer in school, words on a coin or in the pledge, crosses on city seals, etc. have nothing to do with my personal relationship with God. Do I mind those things? Well, no.....I'm a Christian. Will my life as a Christian or the strength of my convictions change or my faith be shaken if they were not there? Not one iota! Do you think someone will come to Christ because they say the pledge or because someone cares enough to share the Gospel with them? I pick the latter. Our founding fathers were wise enough to want to seperate religion from government even though many of them were men of faith themselves. They came from a place of tyranny where they were told how to worship. They wanted to devise a government that would allow people the freedom to worship as they chose without the government sticking their noses in it. All the ACLU does is try to make sure that the Consitution and Bill of Rights are followed to the letter for every person in the country, majority or minority. When they apply those principles against the things near and dear to us, it ruffles our feathers. But when they defend Christians, we don't hear about it and they are not given their due. They are not anti-Christian, they are anti-religion and government mixing just as our founding fathers were.

"I would certainly hope we don't sit around the campfire and bad mouth or promote Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, the ACLU, various religions, etc. to the boys."

I agree with this too and have been thinking that in reading this thread. This is like a gaper delay on the forums: I keep looking because I can't seem to stop myself from looking at the wreck even though the damages and injuries are something I'd rather not see.

In trying to think of how this could relate to Scouting, this conversation seems to be a good example of how not to treat fellow Scouters and Scouts.