Senior Forum Member? Do you know everything?

Hi there:

A comment made in a thread unworthy of spin-off got me to start this one. (isn't that the definition of a spin off? I think so.)

Anyhow, Senior Forum Member, raise your hand if you're a registered leader in the BSA.

Most, but not all, hands are up.

Raise your hand if you don't welcome new members to the forum.

No hands in the air.

Raise your hand if you know all there is to know about the BSA.

Again, no hands. The guy with his hand in the air is just pulling your leg ;)

My point is that a Senior Forum member in this format is simply someone who has been posting a lot . . . in short, the criteria is to be noisy, but not neccessarily knowledgeable.

For example, Merlyn LeRoy is not a member of the BSA. Has never and never will be a member of the BSA, and he is a senior forum member. By the rules of engagement, he has earned that. My sentences above about him are not intended to insult, nor are they untrue.

My final point in this thread is, please, new forum members, don't let the senior forum member status throw you.

Join in, have fun, and help enlighten us all.

Welcome lurker. Put your hand on the keyboard and chime in.

Any thoughts from the Seniors . . .

BTW -- we ain't all old :)

Unc.

Guest OldGreyEagle

There is a story about Albert Einstein, he was being interviewed and the reporter asked Mr Einstein if he knew his own phone number. Mr Einstein laughed and saud, no, he didn't. The reporter then asked what the smartest man in the world would do if he needed to call home. Mr Einstein produced a local phone book and pointed out where his phone number was in the book. He then told the reporter, its not important to KNOW everything, its impportant to be able to find what you need when you want.

The point of this post? I am not sure, the Einstein story was what I thought of when I saw the title of this thread and dag nabbitt, I aim to tell it even if it doesnt make sense.

Oh, No I don't know everything, I even don't know where to look for everything, but one thing I can tell you, I have my books, I have my local contacts and I have this forum. Others may not consider it much, but I think its better than most.

When I seen the comments in the other thread. I have to say that I was more then a little peeved. Sad thing is that a lot of the times that I get peeved at things the thing that I'm peeved about does contain a morsel of truth.

I had never thought that Senior Forum Member tag carried any weight. There are people who look in these Forums, occasionally who do have a great understanding of certain subjects.

I suppose we all have our own little lists of those people that we admire and take heed of and those who we totally disregard. But isn't this true in every walk of life? Haven't we all had the boss that seems to know nothing?

In real time in our District, I see new Leaders who seem to take to the program like a duck to water and old guys who never found the pond.

In that other thread, senior members were made out to be a happy little band who sit at their keyboards patting each other on the back. I don't think this is the case. Maybe we are just too well mannered or have respect for others and that being the case we refrain from using offensive terms.

As for being old - When I grow up I want to be a man, just like me!!

Eamonn.

Wow, I didn't even know I was a Senior Forum Member! So much for knowing everything!

No, I don't know everything. I don't claim to know everything. In fact one of the great pleasures in my life is learning new stuff. (trying to convince my son that learning is fun is a chore sometimes)

The thing that gets to me is when people assume, for whatever reason, that I don't know anything. I have been active in Scouting for 6 years, with 4 of those years serving on the District Training Team and serving as District Training Chair for the past year. Was awarded the District Award of Merit. No, I don't know everything, but I do know a lot. And I know how to use the resources at my diaposal to find the information that I haven't kept filed in my limited memory.

Unfortunately, I have met a number of Scouters who have been active much longer than I have and they seem to have forgotten everything they ever learned about Scouting. Think I could get them to come to training again? ;)

I'm pretty new to the Forum and probaly irritaed a few of you in a previous OA thread.

Am I the only one who has problems setting up or looking at a users profile.

I tried for the 5th. time a few minutes ago with no sucess.

I think I may of been able to communicate better if I'd of known something of who

I'm talking to. I've lurked some and have learned more on some people.

But it would be nice to be able to take a peak at a profile before stepping into a controversial area.

Also I'd of spent a little less time trying to qualify statements coming from me.

Not read any of your posts Wojauwe but I treat this forum as I would any 'campfire' and take what I read in that context. Jump in and have a good time expressing your opinions and just go with the give and take. Really nothing here to get all in a bother about. Ideas and all that are what we can learn from and with a discussion we can not learn. Keep posting and have fun.

yis

I'm a "Scout's Scout" according to my Scoutmaster. If you dont believe me, ask Purcelce when he gets back:) Dont think that will be a problem;)

Anyway, even with that "title" I wouldnt even know where to start half the time:)

I have been in Scouting since the fifties. I have served most every position in Scouting. I have a trunk full of badges and awards. I have been in and out of school all of my life and have several degrees.

My wife will vouch for me that sometimes I can't find my own hind-end and couldn't find it even if I had a phonebook

Please forgive me if I have offended you even from a distance.

I hope that our discourse that sometimes seems unfriendly is only our way of finding whatever we should be able to find so easily but just can't. It really is frustrating.

FB

Can someone explain WHEN you become a senior member? How many posts?

I never paid attention to what I was. I thought junior was "under 18" senior was "over 18". But obviously not since I am a junior and I'm definitely over 18.