Oh my.......When I say Christians I mean Gentiles. This does include you Catholics which I have nothing against. In fact with out Peter (your founder) we would not have the Protestants. The written word is printed today more than any other time. You are correct. Dang this is going to turn into a history lesson. Listen, the dark ages were dark. And the word was used as a form of control. In fact the bible was usually chained to the pulpit. Dont believe me? Crack a book or ask your priest. (Here is where I teach the philosophy about knowledge and self education through reading books and how it preserves forms of Democracy and protects against Tyrannies.) Never mind. (My wife loves to debate Catholicism and the worship of idols (as she says) and I always take Catholics side)but do not make me reference how many times the church and the Monarchy got confused about their positions during the dark ages and other times. Before the Dark ages the word was distributed "more" than the dark ages. I could go on and on and on.....all the way to the tribes of Israel. Never Mind.....

(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man has this thread taken a nasty turn. Jason OK you read what you write? "This does include you Catholics which I have nothing against." With all due respect you come across as a bigot.

Rooster "My point, you can cavalierly make the comparison and act as if one should have equal concern about extremists in the Christian community, but thats a lie - and the facts support that conclusion." I'm not 100% sure what you are saying but it appears that in your view the life of a non-christian is worth less than that of a christian. I apologize in advance if I'm reading something into your statement.

Fanatical christians may not behead someone, or fly planes into buildings, however, they do use bombs and have done so recently.

Scouter Paul,

Did you not get the idea of the full post? I almost converted to catholic So you can take your Bigot stuff back. If you truly think Christians are bombing people in the name of God or Christ you are so wrong! Tell me one time when you heard of a Christian or Jew (Gentile-again I mean people who believe in Jehovah) killing someone in the name of GOD while chanting GOD is GREAT! Don't get history from Dan Blather! Besides those people are not even Christians or Gentiles for that matter. Would you feel better if I insulted myself? I am humble enough to do so. I have the up most respect for Catholics....my wife might not but I do.

The Word is still used as a form of control. The debate lies in what each of us thinks is appropriate control and what is abuse of the Scriptures or authority.

The Lectionary was extremely valuable. Written on vellum by hand, it would require perhaps thousands of hours of the copyists time. By the way, I commonly do read books though I rarely "crack" them.

The offhand comment about about your debates with your wife on idol worship is off base, offensive and downright bigoted. Catholics do not worship idols. If that is what you or your wife has been taught, I am truly sorry that you have been subjected to such bigotry.

The abuses of authority by officials of the Catholic Church is well documented. The comingling of ecclesiastical authority and govenment power was common in many of the Protestant govenments also. Such abuses happened but are wrong. The murder of believers of all stripes simply because they believed differently about Christ is well documented and beyond dispute.

Is your mind on? Do you know how many passages are in the Bible concerning the worship of idols? (statues)? God did give a couple of commands to build some. Do not be offended. Here is a Catholic website defending the use of idols. http://www.cathinsight.com/apologetics/adventism/image.htm

Lets not get off the true subject. Satan works in these manners. Distraction from the truth. Satan wants us to think Jews and Christ Believers are evil. So go ahead and help his agenda. I still have not seen or heard a good rebuttal to my post.

ScouterPaul, I understand your points and I agree. However, I add that while I was growing up I heard plenty of Biblically-justified racist views. And there were plenty of racist hate crimes committed just has heinous as the recent beheadings. You don't even have to go that far back. The men who dragged James Byrd, Jr. behind a pickup until his body disintegrated may or may not have been Christians. To me they were (are) criminals. However, if anyone is interested in viewing some very repugnant things about the Christian Identity movement, for example, here is a link. Pay special attention to the section on Iconoclastic Biblical fundamentalism:

http://www.fact-index.com/c/ch/christian_identity.html

To JasonOK, I make a gift of another link:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/abrahamlin103535.html

Packsaddle,

Abraham Lincoln got that quote from the Bible. If you read your Bible you would know that brother. Listen.....The only person that never sinned was Jesus so stop your comparison concerning murderers. No believer in the WORD ever killed someone while chanting GOD IS GREAT.

Let me give you this link.

WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURES OF BEHEADING

http://www.drudgereport.com/jp.htm

God gave his only son to us! Jesus is the GOD of love.....but God's wrath will come once again on those who do not believe in the end! But not now. He's been trying to win us over with love for 2,000 years now. Jesus does not promote the terrible act of beheading.

And your other little website http://www.fact-index.com/c/ch/christian_identity.html

sounds something of Satan also.

That has nothing to do with the teaching of the Bible.

(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

ScoutPaul,

No, that is not what I was trying to say. My post was in response to two earlier posts by Boleta. He said, The Christian fanatic is no different than the Muslim fanatic is no different than the...

In my post, I was juxtaposing the purported threat of Christian fanatics vice that of Muslim fanatics as cited by him.

Secondly, Boleta inferred that several geo-political and ethic conflicts were religiously inspired, specifically as misdeeds by Christians.

Let's see...

Northern Ireland- Christians killing Christians in the name of Christ.

Bosnia-Serbia- Christians killing Muslims in the name of Christ.

Nazi Germany- Christians killing Jews in the name of Christ (don't protest, they were described Christians).

And so on....

This is equivalent to saying every act by Israel represents those who embrace the Jewish faith. Its not reasonable to conclude they are always the same.

In short, he overstates and distorts the threat of Christian fanaticism. The real and imminent threat of religious fanaticism, as is evident in todays world, is not coming from the Christian community. Any one whos willing to keep their mind and eyes open can see this.

"Lets not get off the true subject. Satan works in these manners. Distraction from the truth. Satan wants us to think Jews and Christ Believers are evil. So go ahead and help his agenda. I still have not seen or heard a good rebuttal to my post."

Your posts don't need a rebuttal. They rebutt themselves.

ScouterPaul,

You said,

Fanatical christians may not behead someone, or fly planes into buildings, however, they do use bombs and have done so recently.

I'd like for you to explain that one to me. What fanatical Christians would these folks be?

This used to be really interesting thread. Since it has gone off the deep end, it is with some disappointment that I'll no longer read or post to it.

Rooster, although you and I come from different philosophical points of view, I appreciate your thoughtful contributions. Maybe we can pick up a similar conversation later when things cool down. Please know that the following comment is in no way directed at you:

I'll close and possibly bring the thread back to it's beginning by noting that some of the bile we have seen spewed here is just the beginning edge of the slippery slop some people descend when they believe that their's is the one true religion. History -- and even current events -- shows the other end of the slope.

Twocubdad,

I don't know how you grew up but I was taught if someones throws a punch at you you have every right to defend yourself. So maybe you ought to read back further. I am sure if you do you will understand the passion. By the way. You sound like I was before I gave my life to Christ. Wordly in my views. There is no HELL....we are all going to heaven. You gave Rooster praise for conducting himself. Did you read where he defended me? I do not know you.....but I wish to think you are my brother in Christ.(This message has been edited by Jason OK)