Entrenched Troop Committee Chairman?

I'm an ASM in a midwest Troop. I've had the good fortune to be helping with the very Troop through which I rose through the ranks and earned my Eagle badge. It's been with the sincerest dismay that I've seen our Eagle Scouts become more lackluster than in the past (skirting requirements, not living the Scout Oath or Law, etc).

I raised this issue with our Troop Committee and we had a meeting over the weekend to discuss it. This meeting turned into a personal attack on me by the Scoutmaster (an elderly man, easily manipulated and unfortunately suffering from memory loss), the Troop Committee Chair and her husband (an ASM himself). Despite this, I tried to be a positive force for change to improve the quality of our Eagle Scouts, restoring the rank to the position of distinction it deserves.

However, the namecalling and petty arguments have not ceased with time. Myself and many other Troop Committee members are very frustrated with the Chair (and to a lesser extent, the SM). I have read elsewhere that the Troop Committee Chair serves at the pleasure of the Committee and may be replaced any time the Committee elects someone new. Is that true? If so, where is that spelled out?

I'm not a fan of exiling anyone or 'stripping' them of a position they wish to hold, however when an adult leader (or anyone in the Troop, for that matter) raises a genuine concern and is met with animosity and personal slams, it may be time to "give them their freedom", so to speak.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? I've tried to put the bug in my SM's ear not to resign, per se, but to consider working with someone in order to have a line of succession. Abrupt and catastrophic loss of leadership can destroy a Troop.

Thoughts/comments?

-Mike

It is my understanding that the CC, to use your term, "serves at the pleasure" of the Chartered Org. It is up to the CO and the COR to approve and/or replace a CC. Can't quote you chapter and verse on that, but I'm sure others here will.

scoutmom is correct. In a "perfect world", The CC and SM/CM are recruited and appointed by the CO/COR. The CC then recruits and appoints the rest of the committee, with the CO's approval, and the SM does likewise with his/her assistants. There is no "election" involved. One solution posted previously on this forum is to establish all positions as one-year terms, renewable at the discretion of the CO. Some will be asked to continue, some will not, and some will be relieved that their "term" is up and they can step down gracefully. But all this is up to the CO. The reality is, many CO's are content not to be involved in the process, other than to provide a meeting place and a signature on the charter every year.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Scoutmom is correct, the Committee chair serves at the pleasure of the Charter organization Representative and the Institutional Head of the Charter Organization, NOT be the election of the committee.

I am curious by what you mean by "to improve the quality of our Eagle Scouts, restoring the rank to the position of distinction it deserves."

Could you be more specific?

Bob,

In the Troop Committee Guidebook, it states very clearly that [in an established, non-new unit] the Troop Committee Chair is elected by the Troop Committee and serves until the charter renewal, they resign, or a replacement is voted into office.

As for the deprecation of the Eagle rank, we're giving it to people who don't deserve it. Some of them are profane, denounce adult leaders and are physically rough with younger Scouts, their projects are not Eagle-worthy yet somehow get pushed through by lax leadership, etc.

-Mike

Eagle Scout, 1996

zipmedic,

Please type a direct qoute from the Troop Committee Guide where it says that. I've searched several on-line copies of the guide and can't find anything that even remotely suggests what you say is very clear.

I don't think it does zipmedic. Could you supply a page number. In fact on page 7 of the Troop Committee Guidebook it says that the Charter Organization Representative selects the CC. and there are more references that pertain to this as well.

I believe you are basing your opinion on rumor and folklore rather than on the resources of the BSA. In nearly 25 years as a trainer, and even more years as a unit leader, I have never seen any resource or training syllabus that says anything other than there CC is selected by the COR and IH.

The only determination of whether a scout has achieved Eagle is by the requirements of the BSA. If he meets the requirements and has the required approvals then he is an Eagle Scout. As an ASM it is your responsibility to use the methods of scouting to help achieve the mission of scouting within the life of each scout. It is not your responsibility to determine the quality control of the Eagle rank. Until your knowledge of scouting corresponds to the BSA program there is little you can do to 'straighten out' the CC, any committee members or any one else in the program.

Training is your solution.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

zipmedic,

Bob is correct. We replaced both the troop and pack committee chairs in the last two years. Because I was volunteer resource chair for the district and member of the training staff, my input was sought. As an SA, I had no right to expect such input and felt honored that I would be consulted. The final decision was the Charter Institutional Head. He or she will be the one to sign off on the volunteer application.

These Eagle Scouts needed signoffs from the project recipient institution representative, SM, CC or other Committee Member and the District just to start the project. Once completed the Eagle candidate needs SM, project recipient institution representative signatures indicating the project is completed. The rank application requires his SM, CC, Council Records, the Board of Review Chairman, the District Board of Review Representative and the Scout Executive.

I signed many when I was SM in my oldest son's troop. In my younger son's, I have been honored to sign two Eagle Project Workbooks and two Eagle Applications. They were SM's sons. He felt it would be a conflict of interest to sign for his own sons. As SA, one should never expect that opportunity.

You may not agree, but it was never your decision to make. I have examined the Eagle paperwork many times and never saw a line for SA signatures. If I were in your position, I would start by apologizing to the CC and SM. You will have no influence to make changes in the program until you mend fences.

Once you have apologized ask about district training resources. We do Troop Committee Challenge to help the members understand their roles. I hope you avail yourself of the training opportunities for members of the scoutmaster corps.