The Worst President?? I think not....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton turned his back on terrorism attacks against his own countrymen because he was afraid that military action would hurt his image and "legacy".

Many Americans do not believe or find evidence that Bush lied to get us into a war. We believe that we were attacked and are defending ourselves and others from viscious terrorists. Terrorists who are greatly comforted by Americans who choose this time to attack their elected government with greater furvor than they defend it against its enemies.

And that is no lie.

"Terrorists who are greatly comforted by Americans who choose this time to attack their elected government with greater furvor than they defend it against its enemies."

Whoaa! I'm not sure but have the Democrats, or at least anyone who doesn't support President Bush, just been labelled as supporters of terrorism?

I must comment that although Bush has earned my contempt, I consider Nixon to have employed many more levels of deception, most of which we probably will never understand (as if we'd want to). In the annals of deception, I think Nixon stands out as a master of the art without peer. Bush doesn't have the intellectual tools even to come close. As a Wielder of Mass Deception, his arts are crafted more with a sledge hammer than with the artist's eye.

Shocking...and...Awful!

Such irony. From the book, 'A World Transformed' (1998) by G.H.W. Bush and B. Scowcroft regarding their Gulf War:

"While we hoped that popular revolt or coup would topple Saddam, neither the U.S. nor the countries of the region wished to see the breakup of the Iraqi state."

and,

"We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs deserting it in anger and other allies pulling out as well.

Under those circumstances, furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-cold war world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the U.N.'s mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression we hoped to establish.

Had we gone the invasion route, the U.S. could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land. It would have been a dramatically different--and perhaps barren--outcome."

Pack, with a bit of reflection, I have to agree with your assessment of Nixon. He was a man of tremendous intellect and prodigious paranoia. He hid a whole illeagal war - now that's a whopper.

The mention of GWHB was interesting. The old man had an understanding of the consequences of the actions the son has taken. The fact that it was unnecessary is the ultimate irony.

Bob, I am sure that Osama bin Laden was just about to give up until he read my posts criticizing Bush. Back in the cave for him. Those perfectly concealed WMD programs, plans and stockpiles were about to be revealed by the evil-doers until they saw my post on the Scouter bulletin board.

Bob, my heart truly goes out to you. You are in my prayers.

firstpusk, why is it you can't stand to have one of your bold statements corrected. Your implication was but for the vigilance of the Clinton administration, the millenium bomber would have gone undetected. I say, it was the good work of a customs agent. Do you expect us to believe that Customs has been less vigilant under the present administration? As to your Limbaugh rant: OK, I admit it we're friends. Actually, there is more. I write all his material and produce his show. I wish you well, firstpusk. Remember: ... friendly, kind, courteous, cheerful ...

FrankJ, I generally consider a correction by definition must be correct. Your statement was not a correction. It was a half-truth. Only the first part was true. I granted you the true part, that a customs agent did indeed note the nervous would-be bomber and made the arrest.

I also pointed out the false part, that the Clinton administration had nothing to do with foiling the bombing. That seems to be where your problem understanding me comes about.

You won't accept that there was intelligence indicating possible terrorist infiltration from Canada. You won't admit the feds had alert status at the border. You won't even grant that status was a contibuting factor in the arrest. Customs agents do work for the federal government, don't they? I guess they must have been freelance volunteers during the Clinton administration.

Clinton was sexually involved with a White House aide and his critics hollered about his lie on a daily basis year end and year out. There was constant ranting and raving from every Rush LimRepublican about every word that he breathed and every move he made.

There was White Water this and that until none of us could even listen to the news. He was not impeached, indicted, or recalled. His wife didn't even divorce him. He served out his term and went on to build a library to his own works. Let's hope that the peace and prosperity of his eight years will not be covered totally by a stained blue dress.

Is GWB a better President? We sincerely hope that he is and that his Secret Weapon for peace in the Middle East isn't a blank sheet of paper stuck in his coat pocket.

I consider myself to be a conservative independent. Being so allows me to look at both parties with a critical eye. In this day and age, neither party speaks for me. The Democratic party was hurt years ago by far left wingers. The Republican party is now being damaged to the same extent by the neocons. I believe that the neocons and the far left wingers each only make up about 15 to 20% of the population. The other 60 to 70% of the population are somewhere in the middle and not being represented by either parties candidate. The vast majority of the population end up having to vote for the lesser of two evils.

I'll admit that I am a current events junkie. However, I don't forget the current events of years past just because there are new current events to devour. Since the beginning of the Iraq war, it has become extremely popular to say that those who dissent over this war and this President's policies are aiding and abetting and giving comfort to the enemy. There are those who say that Democrats and liberals are committing treason, hate America, hate our military and are unpatriotic. There are those who say that the Democrats have politicized the war and will do anything to regain power. What concerns me is how quickly we forget.

I came across this the other day and would like for everyone to read it. Hopefully it will humble some people to remember history that isn't even a decade old yet. What I remember and was reminded of in this press release is just how badly a political party can act and what kind of accusations can be made in an attempt to regain lost power. What you will read are quotes of Tom DeLay while Clinton was President. Take the current situation and reverse it. People say that the Democrats have stooped to an unprecidented low. Apparently they had some good teachers. This is an excellent example of the pot calling the kettle black. The press release is far to big to post here. Here is the link:

http://democraticwhip.house.gov/media/press.cfm?pressReleaseID=76

After reading this, I ask for those who make accusations against those who dissent over this war, was DeLay being a traitor, a troop hater and unpatriotic?

"The Clinton administration had an active program to find and root out al Qaeda. The work they did prevented the millennium bombing.

What about the 1996 bombing of the World Trade Center? They just didn't get it done the first time. If anyone out there thinks that the U.S can stop the terrorist if they really want to hit us, they are deluded. We live in a great free country, but it is that freedom that they can use against us if they want to. It is how we respond when they do that will deter them from future actions.

Also if you think that there is a politician out there who doesnt lie to the people, again you are deluded. Unfortunately, the way our political system works today, a politician has to sell his soul to get the money to run for office. Lets not forget that over 90% of the members of Congress are lawyers, trained to look for the cracks in our legal system or ways to get around it.

Is Bush the worst president? No, but I trust him more than the last one, and I dont see a better alternative in the next election.

P.S. I am an Independent and voted for a Democratic governor last election.

Just a couple of thoughts for now.

Just because someone disagrees with the President or current policies does not make them unpatriotic, liberal or even a Democrat.

There are a number of retired military officers that have spoken out against the war in Iraq that would hardly qualify as unpatriotic, liberal or Democrat. General Joseph Hoar USMC (ret.), Commander of US Central Command under the first President Bush has been highly critical of the Iraq war, as have others.

We do have the finest military in the world. Our civilian leaders might do a better job if they listened to them more.

SA

What about the 1996 bombing of the World Trade Center? They just didn't get it done the first time. If anyone out there thinks that the U.S can stop the terrorist if they really want to hit us, they are deluded. We live in a great free country, but it is that freedom that they can use against us if they want to. It is how we respond when they do that will deter them from future actions.

The first WTC bombing occurred on February 26, 1993 just a little more than a month after the Clinton administration took office. He sent anti-terrorism legislation to Congress and it passed that year. The principal suspects were captured and convicted for that attack. They remain in prison today. Terrorism is difficult to stop. Clinton could have done more. However, a comprehensive strategy was handed over to Bush. They did nothing on terrorism until after 9/11.

Also if you think that there is a politician out there who doesnt lie to the people, again you are deluded

Perhaps I am for expecting an honest statement from the President on matters of policy. However, I feel if you excuse his lies it will simply continue to happen. It is the responsibility of citizens to demand more of their leaders.

Unfortunately, the way our political system works today, a politician has to sell his soul to get the money to run for office.

I agree that money in politics is a problem. Bush was absolutely opposed to campaign finance reform until it passed Congress. Then he signed it and acted like it was his idea all along. His campaign fund raising tops all records. Of course, he turns around and gives away the store to these contributors even allowing them to draft legislation proposed to Congress and reneging on campaign promises when the contributors ask.

Lets not forget that over 90% of the members of Congress are lawyers, trained to look for the cracks in our legal system or ways to get around it.

I am not sure about the occupations of the 108th Congress, but the 106th had 217 lawyers or about 40%. It may be a bit higher, though I doubt that the percentage is up to 90. Of course, if you are not willing to call a politician on dirty dealing, there is no way anything will change for the better.

Is Bush the worst president? No, but I trust him more than the last one, and I dont see a better alternative in the next election.

Just as noted above, the President needs to be called on his dishonesty and dirty dealing if anything is to change for the better. Clinton lied about his sex life and that was deplorable. This man is dishonest about policy decisions. That is much worse.

P.S. I am an Independent and voted for a Democratic governor last election.

And I voted for Republicans in the first two Presidential Elections in which I participated. Id be willing to vote for a Republican like John McCain but not one like GW Bush.