Why does bsalegal.org condone gross violations of the Scout Law?

"Thier purpose is to make sure that civil liberty laws are follwed to the letter. There are always going to be people in the majority who like things the way they are and don't want the minority to get the same guaranteed rights they have."

What I don't get is why the ACLU goes to towns where no local has complained and makes a fuss. No taxpayer involved is offended. No cititizen of the community cares. However, ACLU comes in and files suit on behalf of people that live 2,000 miles away.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also like to say something about the term "outsiders" as used in Fat Old Guy's post. I find that term to be unAmerican and xenophobic. America isn't supposed to be about "insiders" and "outsiders"

Too bad, that's life. I live in a fairly small town. You don't live here. You don't contribute to the community. You don't pay taxes here. So you should have no say in what our town flag looks like. You should have no say in what we name our town parks. You should have no say in what we name our streets. Move here and you're more than welcome to express your opinion.

Now, go away. You bother me.

FOG says:

What I don't get is why the ACLU goes to towns where no local has complained and makes a fuss.

The ACLU will "raise a fuss" when they see possible constitutional violations; they typically won't (and sometimes can't) file a lawsuit unless they find a local plaintiff. Did you have a specific example in mind?

Welcome to the forum, Deloe. You're off to a fast start in a tough crowd. I hope you have as much stamina as Merlyn. Kind of spices things up around here.

I agree with the question posed by NJ and his characterization of the statements you mention. I find it useful to think of these things in terms of deceptions (as defined by the Arbinger Institute). To me the concept is more useful because it does cut both ways. Note: the Scout Law says nothing about 'honest'.

Edited Part: a personal note

http://www.lw.com/attorney/attorneysearch_profile.asp?attno=00746(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

The ACLU will "raise a fuss" when they see possible constitutional violations; they typically won't (and sometimes can't) file a lawsuit unless they find a local plaintiff.

They usually coerce a local to file a complaint. The ACLU is neither American or Civil.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Deloe

First you have to understand what the Scout Law is. It is a personal committment to a set of values. The Web site merely reprinted a newpaper column that appeared in support of scouting. I do not see that they made any other assertions regarding the column.

Perhaps the writer believes he is living by the Law by being Loyal; by speaking out in scouting's defense, Helpful; by presenting a viewpoint that will help others to understand another side of the story, Cheerful; because he wanted to say something positive about the Scouting organization, Brave; because he knew that he would be attacked for having an opinion that some disagreed with, and Reverent; for his support of scoutings Duty to God.

What bothers me more is your hypocracy. Scouting has no problem with you being an athiest. You are welcome to continue in your daily life not believing in anything you choose. But scouting as an organization has a set of core beliefs, and you don't want them to have those. You would rather see the program end then for its members to be able to believe differently then you. As a Christian I have no interest in belonging to an athiest organization and could not care less how big of a club you have or don't have. Why are some athiests so interested in belonging to an organization who makes it clear that one of its main tenets is a "Duty to God". The BSA is more than happy to leave you alone but you don't seem willing to do the same.

You have no qualms attacking us, you just don't like us to defend ourselves. If you want to shout hypocrite at someone, stand in front of a mirror.

Ed writes:

[re: the ACLU] They usually coerce a local to file a complaint.

"Coerce"? They get a plaintiff by the threat of force? You're nuts.

Bob White, Scouting says that only god-believers can be the "best kinds of citizens", and one of the BSA's own lawyers lied in the Spectator article. By the way, do you still assert that no government agencies charter discriminatory BSA units?

"A Scout is Loyal. A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation." Nothing explicit about the BSA organization there.

It would be reasonable for a person to be loyal to the nation, its constitution, and its principles. That might create a conflict with an organization that does not support those principles.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Packsaddle:

If it is true, then sign me up! I want to sue all those atheists in government foxholes. Oh, wait, you won't find them there. There are no atheists in foxholes. Must be Boy Scout alumni in there.

Unc.