Getting shafted by Scouter.com's catalog

Hello,

My name is Greg Booty.

I hate to do this because I think you have a great web site but I have gotten no response back from your customer service via e-mail or voice mail in regaurds to an order that was placed. I do not know where else to go. My credit card got billed on 12-26-2000. I have not received anything yet or a status update. Very poor business indeed. I had a friend in my council tell me that she finally received her order after 3 months (after she had forgotten about it. I had one representive tell me that there were computer problems and I can understand that, working in the computer field. But a simple reply doesn't seem like a big thing to ask. I have send e-mails to orders@scouter.com only to have then bounce back. I would like to know if anybody else is having problems or if this is an isolated case. If I could get a reply from someone at scouter.com that would be nice.

Once again I didn't want to air this out here but I haven't got a response from anybody in a couple of weeks.

Greg Booty

I am having the same problem. I placed an order back in October 2000. I received part of my order in December. Some of it was wrong. I have tried calling the 800 number numerous times and sending numerous e-mials. I have be trying to talk to someone for 3 months now. My e-mails come back undeliverable and nobody returns my phone calls. I am not sure what to do. I do know that I have let other Scouters in my council know about this. I have told them not to order anything from this web site. If or when I finally get help, I might change my tune. Until then, I do not depend upon this web site for much. Greg, I know this is not much help to you, but at least you know that you are not alone. If you get your problem resolved or hear anything, let me know. Thanks.

This appears to be nothing new with these folks. I placed a couple of orders with them after the magazine first started, and got nothing but the run-around for the longest time. To this day I'm not sure whether I ever got everything I ordered...and PAID for.

Good luck with you adventure here...

Hey at least I know that I am not alone. Let's hear back from some other people. WHAT WOULD REALLY BE NICE is to hear back from the fine people running this site and let us know what is going on. What do you say SCOUTER.COM???? Somebody is monitoring this forum aren't they or is it just like the voice mail???

Greg Booty

Greg there is another forum here with a couple of mesages from two other folks with the same experiences as all the others posted.

I myself appear to be the only lucky one. I placed an order long ago and got everything I ordered in a timely manner.

However it deeply disturbs me to see a business that so strongly associates itself with Scouting essentially ripping people off. And yes I know what I am implying.

I placed an email to the moderator asking that the issue be resolved publicly but I have not recieved a response and I know for a fact the email did go through. I sure hope this is all resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Well it had been over a week since my first post. I still have not heard anything from scouter.com about this. It deeply disturbs me that I haven't received a call or e-mail on the status of my order. Pretty disappointing that a place deeply involved in scouting would treat its users this way. I figured that when I posted this that I would have gotten a response from scouter.com to rectify the situation. After all you don't want someone saying they can't get a status on an order placed two months ago. And what about the moderator???? I thought that at I would have heard something back from him.

Thanks Mike Long for getting a message to the moderator. But it looks like the moderator has the same attitude as scouter.com

Greg Booty

I agree.

Well Greg, my best suggestion to you is that you do what the folks in the other forum did. Call the BBB and file an internet fraud report.

I hate the fact that I am even suggesting that a Scout file fraud charges against another Scout.

I need a shower.

Hey everyone.

Guess what I just found.

http://scouter.com/catalog_temp_home.asp

"The SCOUTER.com Catalog is closed and not accepting orders at this time. We are not able to deliver

a consistent level of good customer service and as such have suspended this portion of the web site.

It is our goal to reopen the catalog again in the future, but at this time we have determined the most

responsible course of action is to discontinue until we are once again able to deliver on our promise.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

Not that this comes as any suprise.

Now the battle starts to get my money back.

I am sure that I will not get an automatic refund of my money without any grief from past experience of dealing with this shoddy company.

Greg Booty

Unfortunately Mike I am out $151.00 bucks til this gets resolved. I still have heard nothing from them in regards to crediting my card (which happens to be a Visa debit card) (meaning that that is $151.00 of my money not a credit card company's money). I realized I should have placed it on a credit card but like you said about being disturbed to see a business that so strongly associates itself with Scouting essentially ripping people off. I didn't think it would be a problem.

A reputable business would have made some sorta effort to contact me and explain what was going on. I have only made contact once with them in December and they told me that they were having computer problems. They promised to call me back in two days and let me know the status of my order.

I have been more that patient and have given them ample opportunities to get in touch with me and they have chose not to. Like I said in my first post, I think they have a great web site but nobody from the company is responding to me. I didn't know what other avenue to pursue and I would not wish this aggravation to happen to anybody else.

So they have a ways to go with me to make things right.

If they chose to make it right, I will post that right here but remember it is a two way street.

Buyer Beware,

Greg Booty

Contact your credit card company directly and have the amount put "in dispute". You can start this process with a phone call, but will have to follow up with your complaint in writing. The credit card company will then be trying to collect its money from scouter.com. You will not be required to pay the disputed balance until the problem is resolved. That is why you have a major credit card, they have a lot more power than you alone. Good luck

Thanks, KL Wisconsin.

I have already started the process and I am waiting for the paperwork to be mailed to me.

By the way everyone, I believe the problem is with http://www.sakimagroup.com/home.html. I think these are the people who are actually running the catalog site for scouter.com. I did some digging yesterday and that is who you get when you call the number. If I am wrong let me know.

But it still doesn't excuse scouter.com from stepping in to make things right. And if it got to the point where they shut down their catalog. I think they should be making every effort to contact the people who got billed and didn't get their merchandise.

Any response from someone at scouter.com??

Greg Booty

Okay everyone, here's the bad news. In July, 2000 I paid $2,500 (that's not a typo) to Scouter for an ad in their postcard pack, which they have never publshed.

In the past six months I have been lied to repeatedly by several people at the Sakima Group, which actually owns and publishes Scouter magazine.

The only thing that I'm amazed at anymore is that this web site is still operating.

Has anyone receive a copy of Scouter magazine lately? I'm supposed to get a 'free' ad in there for my business because I've been so patient waiting for the postcard pack to come out.

Dude that is so wrong. I am sorry to hear that Ridgewalker. The website is up but they took down the catalog. Refer to previous posts.

Your incident brings them into a whole new light because it has nothing to do with the catalog. You are dealing with them from an advertising standpoint and they are shafting you. THIS sakima group IS BOGUS. Somehow your treatment doesn't suprise me, Ridgewalker.

Hello sakima group. You have one day to get in touch with me to start making things right. I have the paperwork ready to mail for my dispute to get my money back and I took the pains to dig up the BBB number for Kansas City for an Internet Fraud report. (816) 421-7800 is the number for the BBB in Kansas City, I believe if anybody else wants to get in fun.

Somehow I don't think it is going to make a difference, especially after hearing about Ridgewalker's tale of woe. But I am going to give these losers a chance to come clean and try to make things right.

Bootman