New Uniform?

I keep hearing about a new uniform being introduced. I hear a new uniform is supposed to make an appearance in May or June.

Anyone out there know anything about a new uniform?

Probably a billion dollars :-)

Since the Chinese shirts aren't any less expensive than the 'Merican made ones, I'd guess that the shirt would probably be around $35 as well. $2 for new loops. $100 for new subdued patches.

If the shirts are a decent field shirt that can be worn camping and mucking about in the woods, it will be a good thing. If they are that soft, snaggy nylon that will get destroyed the first time that it sees a branch, that won't be a good thing.

I'll try to reserve judgement until I see one.

Look out everyone. They are using subdued patches. Don't want to get us confused with the military and their subdued patches. We all know how much debate that will start.

Anyway, I think that a more durable shirt with less patches required and more functional pockets would be a good thing.

I do not mean to sound rude or anything about the subdued patches, but there was a MULTIPLE page thread about functionality and military uniforms. And I think that if they go to these subdued patches someone will have something to say about it. It really doesn't matter to me.

The Los Angeles Dodgers don't have subdued patches.

Marching Mizzou doesn't have subdued patches, nor do the KU Marching Jayhawks, nor any of the Big 12 bands.

If the fabric, fit and finsih of the uniform is more suitable for wearing out in the treeline than in the meeting hall, I'm OK. I think we can cut down the number and size of patches. Anyone else have the 1960s version of the Instructor patch? It's a quarter the size of the current standard patch.

Take a look sometime at the well-dressed Scout in one of Rockwell's paintings. Far fewer doo-dads.

"Look out everyone. They are using subdued patches."

No they aren't.

Most scouting associations have fairly colorful uniforms and colorful patches. Heck, some groups have bright red, bright yellow, bright blue, etc uniform shirts.

What is different about their patches is that most are much smaller then ours and are woven instead of embroidered, making them much thinner.

But some are just as colorful and with as much stuff as ours.

I personally think some of the current patches are "subdued patches" already.

When I was a Boy the Rank and office patches like "SPL" were less subdue.

On the subject of new uniforms, I've been hearing that a new uniform are coming since my son join scouts four years ago. I'm not take much stock in any of these rumors until I see the uniform on the hanger at the scout shop. I just hope if they do that its before I need to buy my son the tan shirt and green pants.

I think you can rest assured that if a new uniform is eventually available, the current uniform will still be used for many, many years. Not many folks are going to replace a perfectly servicable uniform. It's the new kids that will buy a new uniform.

What's the point in having a "uniform" if everyone's going to wear something different? Kinda defests the whole purpose of the "uniform" method, eh? - Quoted by scoutldr

So are you say if BSA changes to a new uniform everyone should go buy a new one?

When I was in Scout It was normal to have scouts in the current uniform and the old Light green. I saw no problem with that and heck at least they were in a BSA uniform.

Mark M.

If they were going to introduce it, it would probably be at the National Meeting in San Diego this May or at the All Hands Meeting in August.

I'm hoping it's going to be in San Diego, I'm going to that one...