Scouts no longer wear the Scout Uniform!

If nearly an entire Troop has gone south on the uniform, then what else aren't they doing? Patrol Method, boy led, rubber stamp SM conferences and BORs, fly by night Merit Badges, safety? If the uniform is the only thing out of whack, maybe a group picture juxtaposed to really sharp looking units could prod the boys and parents.

To battle non-uniform uniforms in our troop the PLC came up with this: after the opening, the first thing SPL says is, "Whoever is out of uniform, step forward. OK, you guys clean up tonight." And, the boys who otherwise look perfect will admit to wearing white socks!! However, I also notice it is the same boys every week who are out of uniform. Socks in the laundry, lost belt buckles and slides, wrong t-shirt, no neckerchief. They are simple fixes, but these boys would rather stay and clean up every week than spend a little time or money getting their uniform together. What can you do? Horses and water.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nearly an entire Troop has gone south on the uniform, then what else aren't they doing?

Yah, I dunno. I like to see uniformed troops, but in my experience uniforming is fairly independent of da rest of da program. In fact, a lot of times the best-uniformed troops are that way because they're pretty much adult-run, "troop-method" units.

So while uniformin' may be worth pursuing, especially when we're talkin' about not being sloppy and showing some respect, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that weaker uniforming implies weaker scouting in other areas.

Beavah

"Weaker uniforming" is a direct result of the adult leaders, primarily the Scoutmaster, making a choice to weakly implement that part of the Scouting program. It seems safe to say then that there is a good chance the same Scoutmaster might have other personal opinions about Scouting that result in weakly implementing other parts of the Scouting program.

I dont know about fire and smoke. A troop with strong uniforming doesnt imply strong implementation of the rest of the program. And when a unit decides to depart from the uniform part of the program, who really believes that is the only departure?

It seems safe to say then that there is a good chance the same Scoutmaster might have other personal opinions about Scouting that result in weakly implementing other parts of the Scouting program.

Yah, it might seem "safe to say" in a theoretical sort of way. I'm not meanin' to start an argument, F, but that's just not my experience, after a whole lot of years helpin' lots of units.

I've seen lots of units that are great at uniformin' and really poor at youth leadership and advancement. I've seen plenty of un-uniformed units that are gangbuster outdoorsmen and very true to Scouting values.

Close as I can tell, every unit has some Methods that they use well, and some that they don't place as much emphasis on. Just the way it is. And it's not just a function of da SM or adult leadership. A lot of times it's even more a function of the boys and families that choose that particular unit. Some want spiffy uniformin', some don't; some want high-adventure outdoors, some are content car campin'; some are into rapid advancement, some do more mentoring.

The differences in character are often as much of a boon as they are a disadvantage, because they make Scoutin' a happy home for a greater variety of kids and families. We should all be thoughtful about how we use each method, to make it work for the families and kids, but be careful about judgin' other leaders and units if their emphasis is different.

There really aren't very many truly poor units out there, who are ignoring all the methods. They don't last long enough even to mount a district "rescue" operation anyway, so they aren't worth frettin' over. Da rest are good folks who are mostly tryin' as best they can.

Beavah

Uniforming in our troop has come a long way. For years we were a waist up uniform troop. Jeans, athletic shorts, bathing suits(!) were all acceptable alternatives to Scout pants. Very few leaders wore the complete uniform. The uniform method was not the only method in peril or dropped completely. The troop was a mess.

Enter the new SM (me). Admittedly, I came on a bit strong in the beginning and turned off a lot of adults and scouts. But, I learned to take it slow and after working with the older Scouts to turn things around, changes began and progress has been made these past couple of years in all areas, but I'll focus on the uniforming here.

By wearing the uniform myself and encouraging the other adults to do the same, we set the expectation of proper uniforming for the boys. I show up for SM Conference in my uniform and make no secret to the Scouts that I expect them to do the same. Sure, I've had some guys show up with the "I forgot" excuse, but not often and, so far, not twice. The most difficult change was with the older Scouts - the "legacy" Scouts I like to call them that never wore anything but the shirt for years. All but one of those Scouts are now over 18, three of them earned Eagle, and those three all wore the full uniform in the end and became the role models for the younger boys joining our Troop.

Couple of weekends ago we had a campout. PL mentioned to the Scouts that we were going to do flag ceremonies while there and they should all have their uniforms. Saturday morning the boys lined up to raise the flag. Surprise! Uniform inspection - the first ever in our Troop. Not meant to be punative, but as a reminder of how to wear the uniform correctly. Our newest Scout was the only boy in correct uniform, which really isn't a surprise since I've notice the new guys are usually pretty gung ho about it and lose interest only when they see the older guys being lax about theirs.

The following Monday I did SM Conferences for three of our Scouts for 2nd Class Rank. Those three guys were not in correct uniform at the campout. But, all three showed up for their SM Conferences with the whole deal - including neckerchief!

While it is true that a uniform is not required to be a Boy Scout and I cannot require it as a part of advancement, my post is meant to show that proper uniforming can be done but changing a troop's culture and habits about the uniform or any other method will take a lot of time.

I'm working hard on improving the uniforming in our Troop, but unfortunately, I'm having to convince the SM and most of the leaders as well as the boys. I agree with gwd's post - start at the top. Aren't the leaders supposed to lead by example?

Does anyone use the Position Description cards when new leaders are elected? On each and every card, from SPL to Den Chief, one of the job assignments or descriptions is "Wear the Scout uniform correctly". This is right above "Live by the Scout Oath and Law". Start with the elected leaders, point out it is part of the responsibility of that elected position, and let them push the idea down the ranks.

When I took over the Pack, half of our boys were in uniform haf were not.

I was told that some could not afford it.

I was told that some came dirctly from soccer or baseball games and tha's why they were wearng their field uniform.

I was told that the uniform was not the most important thing.

We set up a uniform bank. Bring it to each den meeting. Call for a uniform inspection and if some do not have a part of the uniform, have the boys pick up a pair of pants or shirt if they need one from the basket.

Created our own Pack uniform hat that the boys are proud to wear.

Told the parents that if they can change in the car on the way over to the soccer game,they can change into a uniform on the way to the Pack meeting

Told every registered leader to get a uniform Have the Cubs inspect them

Had one leader complain, she left.

We now have typically 95% uniform at Pack meetings

Cubs or Scouts, the Leader sets the behavior standard. Scouts may be boy run, but it is still scoutmaster guided!

CMM

As I sat here reading these post I couldn't help but think of my experiences raising up to beautiful daughters, before getting a son into the scouting program. My training with the girls was a nightly task, I would position myself around the front of the house just shortly before they were to go out for the evening. Giving ample time to "quote" inspect what their attire was. I say this only because we as leaders seem to think that it is our responsibility to mold these young men and young women into model scouts and future leaders of tomorrow. I give our concerned Parent of whom as been referred to as a parent and not a "registered Scouter" a great deal of credit and responsibility, after all it is his threshold and others like it these scouts must cross prior to coming to meetings, court of honors and Eagle Ceremonies. With concerned parents becoming involved on the front lines, our scouts will never have the equipment to use properly when they lead correctly by sincere leaders!

Lance in MO.

Boys invited into the honor patrol accept membership voluntarily. One does not need to be in that patrol to do any and all things in scouting, yet those who do join are always in full uniform for all occasions except swimming. No adult madantes it, no surprise unform inspections enforces it, it just is expected.

The "rule" for the troop is, if you don't have a scout t-shirt, you must wear the Class-A, but can take the neckerchief off. The honor patrol never bring scout t-shirts to an event and they prefer to wear their neckerchief.

How did this new "rule" come about? At an event everyone was dumping their class-A's once they reached the camp. The newly formed honor patrol PL came over to me (their advisor) and asked if they should switch to "class-b's". The advisor, (standing there in class-A's and who has worn a scout t-shirt only once at Philmont), answered, "Lead by example." Thus a new "tradition" was established.

No one is forcing this new policy except the boys of the honor patrol and then only on their own members. The NBP has now adopted this new policy and the 2nd Year Patrol has become more aware of it and the older boy patrol still has their uniforms off in record time after the salute is dropped after closing flag ceremony. It has taken the honor patrol but a few short months to compete and win against the older scouts in terms of respect and prestige in the troop.

Do scouts notice? Sure they do. The ASM who always wears a full Class-A uniform for all activities, all the time, (hat, shirt, neckerchief, belt, pants and socks), rolled his canoe for the first time in 15 years at the annual white-water canoe outing this past weekend. There were a lot of surprised faces when that same person showed up for dinner in a dry full Class-A uniform for supper that night. :^) "Be prepared" and "Lead by example". It's really not all that difficult to live by those principles.

Stosh

DBC,

Greetings!

To throw out a few ideas... (if you are not doing this already)... and this is how we handle this issue in our Troop.

"Lead by Example" If all of your adult leaders are wearing their complete uniform. The boys may follow suit. We have approximately 12 uniformed adults. During opening and closing we probably have the largest patrol lined up to the side.

If that doesn't work. Get the newest boy patrol uniformed along with the adults. Our junior patrol has constantly earns the "Pizza patrol" about once a month, during patrol corners. mmmmmmm, Delicious!

Finally, we're disappointed when the boys don't wear their uniform. Oh well, we (the Troop leadership) can survive. But for our BORs, we expect the advancing Scout to arrive in complete uniform. They have been told this over and over. You should see boys/parents buying socks and belts in our Troop store, minutes before their BOR. Sometimes they have to borrowed uniform items from their patrol mates to go into their BORs. So the parents also (once in a few months) know and understand our Troop desires to see their Scout in uniform and a uniformed Troop.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

To all those Scouters who responded to my initial request for assistance, I want to thank each and every one of you for making the time to provide feedback which will no doubt help our Scouting organization. Rather than respond to each message, I only want to say that all of your comments have been forwarded to our Scout Leaders for review. Our Scout leaders were most impressed with the idea of top-down uniforming standards. Starting with the Scoutmasters, Assistant's, then Senior Scouts and so forth.

Although they have a set of policies posted including one for Uniforming, no one thought to require Scouts or parents to read them. So another change being implemented is having all Scouts and their parents both read and sign a "Scout Membership Agreement" form which states that they have read each policy and agree to comply with Troop policies. We're asking both existing Scouts and new ones to sign this agreement. It's actually working well and has eliminated several other potential problems with Scouts by now understanding the rules. The Scout leaders wish to thank you again and ask you to continue with any additional advice which could help these young men.

For those of you who were frustrated by my lack of response, since I posted the initial message, I have been hospitalized with multiple surgeries and now home to recover. I will respond again after we see more progress in the Troop and a bit more recovery on my part. Many thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

It starts at the top.

If the SM wears a uniform, the troop probably will too.

On the other hand, our SM rarely wears a uniform, I've never seen him in uniform pants, other ASM too, never wears uniform pants. The other comte members don't wear uniforms. I asked the other ASM about uniforming, he told me "they 'voted' on it and said 'no pants' " I told him that's not really an option, but I'll fight that battle later. My son and I wear complete uniforms.