• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok to post links as long as they are relevant and don't lead to something out-of-bounds. The forum you mention, cricket, was referenced in this thread many pages ago, and I went to it then and read mdsummer's request for help. I am confident the story is legit.

I am also confident that she will not post here again due to the silly and sometimes rude behavior of some of our Scouters.

Her post was probably legit but ya wanna bet her little angel did something way more serious than she claimed? And ya wanna bet he never got his Eagle because of that?

(corrected a type)(This message has been edited by evmori)

You might be right, Ed.

Maybe her telling of the story was a little biased since it was her son? We've been led to believe that the Scoutmaster, the Troop Committee, the District Advancement Committee and the Council Advancement Committee all had it in for her son and couldn't recognize his truly being deserving of the Eagle Scout rank.

There is the possibility that the others were right and that this Scout did things that didn't exemplify living the Scout Oath and Law in his daily life. Remember, going back to the beginning, not satisfactorily completing the Scout Spirit requirement was the original reason given by the Scoutmaster for denying this Scout the advancement.

Yes, Ed, ignoring all of the other rude comments that have been made, you just might be right.

Between the issues she had with her son's troop and the tone of this thread, I'm not the least bit surprised she's not posted for some time. Again, I never read one inappropriate or rudely worded post by mdsummer. Even when the posts got tough, she responded time and time again with gratitude for the help she was receiving. Yet, evmori can't make a simple post regarding his take on this matter without slipping in a snide remark toward her. She never once claimed her son was a "little angel".

I'm really taken aback at some of the ridicule she's received at the hands of people who consider themselves scouters. A rereading of the scout laws might be, strike that, is in order. We expect our sons to live those laws, how about the adults that are among the biggest influences in their lives set the example?

I can appreciate that many of you spent a lot of time reaching out to help mdsummer, and you feel slighted because she's not followed up. However, we all have feelings, and given the situation of a boy who went so far as completing his Eagle requirements including a project, this whole situation has to be very painful. Possibly, she finally reached her limit, once the constructive criticism turned to ridicule, fun and games.

I am annoyed by some of the fun and games that have taken over this thread, but frankly, I am far more disgusted by the ridicule and comments made here (albeit a long time ago, now) about the SM, Troop Committee, et al, based on unsubstantiated comments made by a disgruntled parent. Surely it was appropriate to provide guidance to the parent as to how to go about an appeal, but there must be more than one side to this story.

But any of us who have been Scouters for a while have had to deal with parents who could just never be satisfied. Would you want your actions to be picked apart in this way around the virtual campfire?

Scout Law, indeed.

Yes, Ed, ignoring all of the other rude comments that have been made, you just might be right.

Examples, please well-up-in-his-60s-guy.

Yet, evmori can't make a simple post regarding his take on this matter without slipping in a snide remark toward her. She never once claimed her son was a "little angel".

I was on her side when all this started, cricket, so apparently you failed to read the entire thread making your comment totally invalid.

No, she never claimed her son was a "little angel", but she did seem to blame everything on the adults. If that were true, this thread woulda ended eight months ago!

"I was on her side when all this started, cricket, so apparently you failed to read the entire thread making your comment totally invalid.

No, she never claimed her son was a "little angel", but she did seem to blame everything on the adults. If that were true, this thread woulda ended eight months ago!"

Nope, wrong again. I've been reading this thread from I never said that you were or were not on her "side" in the beginning. That's not even relevant to you calling her son her "little angel". In fact, I've known about this sitution long before it was brought to the scouter forum from the CC site.

I need to make an edit, but I don't see how to do it, so I'm reposting..

"I was on her side when all this started, cricket, so apparently you failed to read the entire thread making your comment totally invalid.

No, she never claimed her son was a "little angel", but she did seem to blame everything on the adults. If that were true, this thread woulda ended eight months ago!"

Nope, wrong again. I've been reading this thread from the beginnin, and I never said that you were or were not on her "side". That's not even relevant to you calling her son her "little angel". In fact, I've known about this sitution long before it was brought to the scouter forum from reading about it on the CC site.

I believe that the whole point of this thread and discussion has been:

1) Did the young man meet the requirements to be a Eagle Scout?

2) If not, what requirements did he not meet? (And no, it is not sufficient for the Scoutmaster to say "I have decided that you have not met the Scout Spirit requirement. I have spoken! So let it be written, so let it be done! Go away!")

3) If he possibly did meet the requirements to be a Eagle Scout and still was turned down at several levels, how should one appeal to the National Council?

My understanding is that the matter was appealed to the National Council and a definitive answer from National has not yet been received.

I don't believe the question is whether the young man is a "little angel" or if his mother has personality or other conflicts with the Troop/District/Council. The question is if he met the requirements to be an Eagle Scout

Nope, wrong again. I've been reading this thread from the beginnin, and I never said that you were or were not on her "side". That's not even relevant to you calling her son her "little angel". In fact, I've known about this sitution long before it was brought to the scouter forum from reading about it on the CC site.

True but you did post:

Yet, evmori can't make a simple post regarding his take on this matter without slipping in a snide remark toward her. She never once claimed her son was a "little angel".

Not every post of mine had a snide remark and if you did read the entire thread you would know that. I was following that thread as well and it appears mdsummer abandoned those folks as well.

This is the thread that has no end...

It just goes on and on, my friend...

Some people started posting to it

not knowing what it was...

and they'll continue posting to it forever just because

and they'll continue posting to it forever just because...(This message has been edited by PeteM)

and they'll continue posting to it forever just because...

Well evmori again here you go with the accusations about this young man. I have spoken with the SM a few times about this situation (as recently as a few weeks ago) and he has never said that the reason was due to a serious disciplinary issue. I also think the flaming is detrimental to this forum so I've found another place share ideas about Scouting.