Ev the letters of denial from Troop, District and Council state that Justin did not meet Scout Spirit Requirement. Troop and District letters mention not meeting Troop requirement of attendance at Troop meetings and outings. What is interesting is that Justin earned Life June 2006 and Eagle POR of ASPL which was signed off Jan 2007 but they used his then current POR of Instructor in their letters.

This has not been going on for over a year. Justin finished the last of Eagle Required MBs March, 2009.

Troop letter of denial is dated April 18, 2009

District letter of denial is dated May 28, 2009

Council letter of denial is dated June 24, 2009

Justins letter of appeal to National was dropped off at Council beginning of Sept. according to an Email mdsummer sent me. I know from a phone conversation she had with me in Dec that National did receive his appeal. We also spoke a couple of weeks ago after she contacted National as to status of appeal, she stated that it still was in process.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, E732. I thought my post was sufficiently dripping with sarcasm. I should have used one of those little sarcasm thingys. What's the code for that? Ctrl/Alt/F7?

Several months and hundreds of post ago, when there was still substantive discusion going on here, I was fairly supportive of MDSummer.

Troop letter of denial is dated April 18, 2009

District letter of denial is dated May 28, 2009

Council letter of denial is dated June 24, 2009

Justins letter of appeal to National was dropped off at Council beginning of Sept. according to an Email mdsummer sent me. I know from a phone conversation she had with me in Dec that National did receive his appeal. We also spoke a couple of weeks ago after she contacted National as to status of appeal, she stated that it still was in process.

We are into month 8 since the council denial and month 4 since the National appeal was dropped off. And you folks don't think this is excessively long? SCOTUS decides cases faster!

For National to take this long, there is something exceptionally serious regarding this appeal. What did this Scout do? I wanna say there is something criminal involved.

My perspective is from one who has not had to deal with national appeals, except for the scout who had to appeal for his EBOR due to not being able to have the EBOR before he turned 18 and leaving for boot camp. I don't know how long that appeal took, but I do know the guy had favorable letters endorsing his appeal to have his EBOR, and when I saw him a few years later, he was granted his EBOR and was an Eagle.

I say we give this situation the benefit of the doubt at this time. Yes there are a lot of questions, I even have them, but let's have a little patience.

Sure, Ed, the kid was probably an ax-murderer. ;)

If there was something truly criminal involved, I highly doubt it would have even been appealed.

From what has been revealed, the only "criminal" thing involved is that the Troop apparently chose to add requirements to that ever-vague thing of Scout Spirit.

"Ev the letters of denial from Troop, District and Council state that Justin did not meet Scout Spirit Requirement. Troop and District letters mention not meeting Troop requirement of attendance at Troop meetings and outings. What is interesting is that Justin earned Life June 2006 and Eagle POR of ASPL which was signed off Jan 2007 but they used his then current POR of Instructor in their letters."

And they apparently didn't bother to remember that he had already served his POR.

You, Ed especially are always beating the tom-tom about not adding requirements (and I agree whole-heartedly). It may be that this case along with numerous others that have made the appeal rounds is part of what drove National to further define what "active" means.

BTW, Ed, just a little SM conference between me and you, but have you apologized for calling this a hoax yet? Calling people liars without good reason really is not in line with Scout Spirit IMHO.

Twocub, thank you, apologies accepted, no hard feelings here. I haven't been willing to post specifics including names, dates etc. I figure that's up to Mdsummer to do if she wants to. After what has been said here she may not want to share the results. That would be understandable but a shame, there's lots to learn from this experience. Honestly when I first posted on this way back on page one my interest was learning how the process of appeal went since I figure I might have to go through it one day. It wasn't until several weeks later that I realized that I knew the SM involved. So I will wait for an answer and those that don't care or believe this is a hoax can skip this thread.

WAKWIB,

By criminal I meant maybe he got caught defacing public property or swiping candy from the convenience store or smoking pot behind the stadium.

Yeah I beat the drum about not adding to the requirements but is that what is happening here? The way I read it is his POR in 2007 was for rank but his current POR was not up to standard. And if that was the only thing, this appeal would have been over 37 pages ago.

I love SM conferences! No I haven't apologized for calling this a hoax. I said I would once we know what the final outcome is and we don't know that yet. If I say I will do something, I will. xxxx (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

"We are into month 8 since the council denial and month 4 since the National appeal was dropped off. And you folks don't think this is excessively long? SCOTUS decides cases faster!"

Well as far as I know the Supreme Court was a full time paid job with a full time paid staff. Most of the people involved with this appeal are unpaid volunteers. Even the folks that rule on the National appeal are Council advancement committee people from various councils.

Well as far as I know the Supreme Court was a full time paid job with a full time paid staff. Most of the people involved with this appeal are unpaid volunteers. Even the folks that rule on the National appeal are Council advancement committee people from various councils.

There must be tens of thousands of appeals for this to take so long! And SCOTUS appeals are much more involved!

When is someone coming clean and really letting us know what happened?

Another week goes by and we still know nothing! The longer this goes on without resolution the less believable it becomes! And yeah those of you who claim to know information about this appeal will harrumph but still won't post anything to prove you actually have 1st hand knowledge of the situation.

I will continue to post here until we hear the results of this appeal. I'm gonna bet the thread gets shut down or I pass away 1st.