• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When national answers a real appeal, which is not the case here, they answer directly to the scout and to the council. Thats how you get the answer on a real appeal.

But in this case since there is no appeal at national, there won't be an answer.

Well, that's sort of what I was wondering. If you will recall, part of the story here was that the Scoutmaster was a long-time district/council volunteer and (if I'm remembering correctly, I ain't re-reading all this) was fairly tight with the folks on the advancement committee who heard the appeal.

So what is the possibility that the folks in Irving would, as a professional courtesy, give the professionals in the council a heads-up as to the outcome? Is there any sort of back-and-forth that goes on between national and the council? Does national only look at the written submissions, or would they call the SE or program director and ask for additional info?

I'm not suggesting this would be inappropriate, just wondering if there is more to the process than just waiting for a letter.

I can only speak about the appeals that I have seen or worked on. National will contact the council if they wish to clarify an issue or have even asked for documents related to the appeal. They also have been known to write the scout for more info/clarification.

I know in the past under a different CE, he took a hands off approach, once the papers were submitted, he just waited, but no answer ever took that long as national likes to answer and get the scout back on the trail if he wins.

But like I said earlier, there is NO appeal here, never has been. If there was one submitted scan the acknowledgement letter and post it.

"...but no answer ever took that long as national likes to answer and get the scout back on the trail if he wins.

But like I said earlier, there is NO appeal here, never has been. If there was one submitted scan the acknowledgement letter and post it."

Exactly what "Trail" is the scout supposed to get back on if he wins an Eagle Rank appeal, nldscout? I imagine in most cases, by the time the appeal is resolved, the candidate is over 18. The only trail left for him is that "one-hour-a-week" as an adult volunteer.

The only thing you and BadenP seem to base your hoax theory on is the length of time this process has involved. Could it be that there are quite a few of these appeals submitted over the course of the year? That could present a bit of a back-log for the committee to wade through. And I would think if something ends up getting to that point anyway, each of those individual cases requires a fair amount of investigation and deliberation. I'm sure it's way more involved than just a missing signature on a merit badge card once it gets to that level.

I've said this before, but based on the entirety of the thread, by calling this a "hoax" you are saying that mdsummer and other forum members who have given her direct assistance are liars.

The scenario simply not fitting some time-frame that you have determined is not enough to call people liars. Do you have additional evidence...or are they simply guilty until proven innocent?

Gotta tell ya WAKWIB, Supreme Court appeals get resolved quicker.

I'm betting this has been decided and decided for a long time. And I'm betting it wasn't in favor of the Scout. And I'm betting we will never know from mdsummer45 what happened.

But if I'm not mistaken, there is someone else on this forum that is in the same council as mdsummer45 and me thinks this person should also know considering the outcome of this appeal.

It may be coincidental but I find it interesting the new clarification of what "active" means (see other thread) came out after this mess was supposed to be sorted out on mdsummer45's appeal. In any event, her son may or may not deserve the Eagle award -- I don't think any of the rest of us know enough about the case to say either way -- but there's really no reason to be calling this a hoax.