Perhaps the appeal was turned down and MD is disgusted with Scouting, us included. Or maybe it's gone legal and her lawyer told her not to post anything else. Who knows?

I'd like to hear the conclusion of the story, too, but MD is nder no obligation to provide it. Just another risk of life in cyberspace.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ev and vol_scouter, I can corroborate mdsummer45s story. In a PM I offered my help in assisting her, which she accepted and between May 19 and Sept 2 we each exchanged in excess of 50 emails and more than a few phone conversations. She also faxed me copies of Troop, District and Council letters of denial. I also know by name another member of the forums that also assisted her in critiquing and editing Justins appeal to National.

Mdsummer called me on Dec 2 after getting off the phone with National. At which time she informed me that the appeal was still sitting at National waiting to be given to the Appeal Committee and that the earliest would be mid Jan before she received a response from National. Am not that surprised that appeals take this long considering the turnaround for our Troops Eagle applications. Our last EBOR was Nov 4 Council called Dec 15 that Eagle packet could be picked up.

ljnrsu,

Many thanks for posting that update. Although I never posted anything on this thread because I have had no experience or exposure to such an involved process, I have read through the entire thing starting when it first began last spring. She got a lot of great advice from many here. Also, I am sure she got a bit weary of reading how she was holding things back, how her son may have been "worse" than her posts suggested, and here lately, of how she is simply an "attention junkie."

Hopefully you or her can let us know the outcome when it comes to pass. I'm sure she greatly appreciates you taking the time to personally help her and her son through this challenging episode.

Wow. I sure hope this turns out well. I wonder why this had to even go to National. Sounds like a slam dunk to me. I guess the District and Council are just too close to the unit, and don't want to ruffle any feathers, so to speak. I guess all we can do is wait.

Anybody know if there is an appropriate Guinness Book category?

Waiting music theme from "Jeopardy" dumdedumdum dumdedummmm, dumdedumdumDUM, dedededede, dumdedumdum dumdedum, DUM, dedede, dum, dum, dum, (bum bum).

I also know by name another member of the forums that also assisted her in critiquing and editing Justins appeal to National.

Yah, let me just say that it starts to get just a bit ridiculous when out-of-council people start helpin' lads and situations they don't know because they've become internet pen pals.

Next we'll have forum members critiquing and editing boys' Eagle project writeups or merit badge presentations.

An appeal should be written by and reflect da character, judgment, and point of view of those who are a party to the action. That's part of how folks hearin' the appeal make an informed decision, by understanding how those involved view and present their position. It shouldn't be somethin' where district officials or yellow-tabbers from 5 states away start crafting language and coaching litigants in what to say on the stand.

Shame on yeh both for doin' that. Mdsummer's council has a lot of good people and fine scouters in it. If her son needed/merited help and support it was available without the two of you castin' aspersions on the decisions of fellow scouters from afar. Serve yeh right if the whole thing was a sham.

Beavah

And if it's not a sham it's still inappropriate for scouters from several states away to insert themselves into the process, and they still should feel chagrined for doin' so.

Especially scouters who hold silver or yellow-tabbed positions who should know better.

Beavah