Conflict among the scouts

How are personality conflicts and fighting among scouts within a troop handled?

My son's troop has two distinct groups within it who cannot stand each other and are unable to discuss anything without an argument breaking out which rapidly disolves into trading insults and other verbal attacks. So far the arguments have remained verbal, but there have been times when it looked like it could turn physical. The boys involved range from ages 12 to 13, and orignally came to the troop from two different packs.

The SPL is, himself, only 15 and has a hard time maintaining order during meetings whenever the two factions decide to go at it.

My son, who is not a part of either faction, finds the whole situation very distressing, especially since all activities come to a halt as these boys square off against each other.

What action, if any, should the adult leaders be taking with regard to the conflict that arises at eavery meeting/outing?

Should they leave the boys alone to work it out, or do they actively intervene to keep the peace?

Thanks.

Welcome nwsscouttrainer.

If it hasn't been tried yet, I would suggest a) thorns and roses sessions, b) rewards for good behavior given at a patrol level, c) SM conferences at the individual level, and d) scout spirit as an achievement that must be earned in the same manner as any other requirement.