Does every boy deserve an Eagle?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I understand perfectly why the CO, SM and CC don't want you at the meetings......"

Because I insist on people understanding what I say and not reading other meanings into it that are not there? I never said the CO, SM, and CC don't want me at the meetings. They never said that, and in fact they all have supported my efforts to be reinstated.

Something doesn't make any sense......

I doubt that the council would act on just a rumor

In my opinion, your selfish needs are not worth the risk you pose to the boys whether the accusations are real or not.....

You have lost your oldest, instead of worrying about scouting maybe you should focus on the other two....

Done with this conversation......(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

"Something doesn't make any sense......

I doubt that the council would act on just a rumor

In my opinion, your selfish needs are not worth the risk you pose to the boys whether the accusations are real or not....."

It doesn't make sense to me, either, but it happened, and you, like the council, are judging me with no evidence.

"You have lost your oldest, instead of worrying about scouting maybe you should focus on the other two...."

I completely agree.

"Done with this conversation......"

Bye.

"Gee, I thought the question was "Does every boy deserve Eagle?"

Apparently that really wasn't the question.

So what's the question now, should your son have been awarded Eagle without your permission?"

Sorry for the misunderstanding. "Does every boy deserve an Eagle" is the title of the thread, but the original question is this: "My question: did he deserve an eagle when he was breaking several points of the scout law while getting it?"

"My question: did he deserve an eagle when he was breaking several points of the scout law while getting it?"

None of us here have the details to say one way or another.

A Board of Review with a lot more information made a decision.

I am satisfied with their finding.

"A Board of Review with a lot more information made a decision."

The information they had is something I wonder about. I have not been present at one so I don't know what kind of questions they ask. For my other son, I made a scrapbook to take along, and included pictures and awards received in scouting and in other activities. I was told that they wanted to know that he was a well-rounded person. Would there have been questions about his home life or how he gets along with his parents and siblings? If they knew he was on probation until his 18th birthday would that have had an impact on their decision? I just don't know enough about it to guess whether or not that kind of thing matters.

"None of us here have the details to say one way or another."

What details do you need? I told you that he deliberately kept information from his parents that we had a right to know. In that act alone, he broke several of the scout laws to some degree: trustworthy, loyal, kind, obedient, friendly, courteous, and reverent, and maybe cheerful and brave as well. (I'm looking at the explanations of these laws here: http://usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/bslaw.asp)

Based on the responses here, I have another question. Do the scout oath and law really mean anything anymore? Do we expect scouts, and especially eagle scouts, to really try to live by them, or is it just something you memorize and repeat at scout meetings? Because if an eagle scout can't be expected to try his best to uphold those ideals, I don't know why we bother with the program at all.

All boards may ask different questions, but they normally are not grilling him about his homelife or if he ever was arrested.

They more ask him his scouting career background, and his project, and his future plans. Now during the conversation the scout may bring up a zinger like having been arrested. Normally though something like that would probably be brought up to make a point of how he has changed his life for the better, and learned from such an experience.

~rolls eyes~

Look, you're asking rhetorical questions to which you cannot expect cut and dried answers. And it seems to me that you are unlikely to be satisfied with any answer that doesn't support your deeply held, emotional, position. What good do you really expect to come of continuing this?

Since I do not know you or any of the people involved, I have no idea who is right or wrong or sideways on this. And there is really no point in you continuing to ask these sorts of questions of anonymous people on some internet forum. The best advice you're likely to get here (indeed, you've already gotten) is that:

a) it is very easy to figure out exactly what troop you are talking about, which your son may not appreciate very much (I certainly wouldn't if I were him) so if you are serious about wanting to mend fences then you ought to start by stopping this sort of nonsense, and

b) you might want to seek counseling for your whole family since this has obviously and understandably affected you deeply.

To be blunt: get off the internet and go seek real help for the underlying issues. And don't bother responding to me, because I won't be answering any further.

If we denied the Eagle award to every scout who did not live up to the Scout Oath and Law 100% of the time, it would be a small fraternity. The only one I can think of lived 2,000 years ago in Bethlehem, and that was long before the BSA. I have handed out over 40 Eagles in my time as Scoutmaster (no, we are not a mill. This is over 30+ years) and none of them were perfect. In fact a few, I had to bite my tongue, give him his award, and move on.