WARNING to Single moms be careful out sending your sons camping without you!

Guest OldGreyEagle

singlemom, have you told the scout executive about this? If not, please do. Call and be sure he calls back. If your son went to the hospital due to injuries suffered on a scout trip, then he needs to be involved

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Singlemom,

I am sorry for your son's experience. My son has asbergers, OCD, and a cluster of other issues. Scouts has been a great confidence builder for him. He often will do things I do not think he is capable of for other adults. We had some bully issues as well and dealt with them. Some of that is the nature of boys. I I agree with the others that you should:

(1) Find another Troop -- they are all a little different and some are better fits than others. I moved from one pack to another because I didn't like the leadership and my boys and I had a much greater experience. You would try to move your boy from a bad teacher or classroom if you could wouldn't you?

(2) Work the system as recommended. Believe me the District and Council folks WILL look into it...

I disagree with you in sports. I had some terrible coaches and fellow boys in sports and it was much less regulated. I suffered an permanent injury at 14 because a coach wanted me to "man up" and stop complaining. I shattered an ankle. I also had an older boy molest me because of inadequate supervision.

In our Troop of 60 boys at least 1/3 have some sort of developmental disability. The pharmacological distribution on campouts is complicated all by itself. Some adults deal with it better than others. Dealing with parents can be a frustrating part of the job and even when you are doing everything right someone complains.

I am sorry for some of the harsh words posted here; a Scout is supposed to be Friendly, Courteous,and Kind.

Guest OldGreyEagle

singlemom, please contact your Scout Executive, the person in charge of scouting in your council. Tell him what happened, this incident needs to be investigated in the appropriate manner.

When you get resolution, send me a private message, (look off to the left of the posts, you will see the link, send private message,

I will reopen this thread so you post what occurred. I cannot verify what you are saying is the truth or not, nobody can, but I will take you at your word that your son required hospital care and that fact needs to be made known to your Local Scout Council.

For the rest of us, its time to move on