More on medical forms

An interesting question has arisen regarding medical forms for adults.

As far as I know, Class I medical forms apply only to youth. Only Class II or Class III forms are used for adults, and then only in certain situations. Consequently, one ends up with adults participating in various activities just as adults, not necessarily registered scouter volunteers, about whom one knows very little. These are weekend events and day hikes which are covered by Class I forms for boys. Unless one happens to have a Class II or Class III available for a particular adult, you may end up with a lot people on an event for whom you have no information whatsoever.

I don't think this creates any special liability for scouters, units, councils, or BSA in general. Presumably adults who are legally of age are responsible for their own situations.

However, if for example, you have someone along on a car camping event that meets all the criteria for Class I, and that adult somoeone is an insulin dependent diabetic, wouldn't it be to everybody's benefit for the adults in charge to know this piece of information?

Has anybody ever had to confront this kind of problem in an emergency? Does anybody have a different rule or procedure for collecting at least minimal information on adults? Are units legally restricted in gathering health information on adults?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Class I Medical is also required for adults. We had to have them completed for every adult that participated in our day camp. The forms says "for all participants" when the outing does not exceed 72 hours. Anything over 72 hours then kicks into the Class II or Class III medical form.

You are absolutely right about the Class I. I am so used to dealing with just Class III it did not occur to me to look at the form itself.

Next question: Is our troop in compliance? I don't think so.

We required a Class 3 on all participants in our off-peninsula winter "medium adventure" trips when I was in Korea. The trip didn't meet Class 3 requirements based on activity level, but on proximity to a full-service hospital...we erred on the side of caution.

One thing to keep in mind if you require Class 2s for everyone, for every outing: the parents fill out the Class 1 for free; they often have to pay out of pocket for the doctor's appointment to get the Class 2 done.

KS