Is it disrepectful to request WB beads just be mailed?

Brentallen: Wowsers. How can one obtain a copy of your Powerpoint , and perhaps a recording of your commentary to share with our District? It is certainly a selling point about the world wide brotherhood all Scouts belong to.

BB: I look forward to hearing of the success you have when you finish refining the findings of your trip/ticket. Nothing is worth saving if it is not worth sharing.

YiS everywhere...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BrentAllen,

I echo Ed's comments, that must have been an impresive and memorable trip! You da man!!!

Brian,

I think I'm at the point where I'm about to feel sorry for you. You seemd as though the beeds on a cord will weigh you down. Most of the other awards ( I have a couple ) have a square knot patch for everyday wear. We dop't generally wear the medal. When wearing your beads, others will see you as someone who has accomplished something for the boys, for the program, not for you. It's not about you.

I was thrilled when I was invited to attend woodbadge. I could hardly wait. I recall that time with great fondness. Regretably, I don't see or hear from my patrol members, I have moved a couple of times and our paths don't cross. I attended WB in the North Florida Council, I live in the Northeast Georgia Council.

I encourage you to have a small, quiet ceremony.

I don't know why we seem to have and use anonymity here, maybe for a little cover, a little fun or mystery, who knows. I am Jaime Gonzalez, D.C., a chiropractor and retired Army officer. I currently serve as as Unit Commissioner and as my son's Webeols Den Leader. Anyone can email me if you wish: jaime.gonzalez4@us.army.mil

Merry Christmas!

Gonzo1

SR-59

Eagle Patrol

(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

Brian,

If you PM me, you will get my email. Since I have several spam-laden accounts, I rarely post it publicly anymore, even munged. As far as Scouting duties go, I am the Physical Arrangements RT staffer for my District RT, coordinate some classes, give some classes, counsel the several Citizenship MBs +railroading +Computers (I have other intersts, but those are my active badges), counsel through the Protestant sub-committee of the Religious Relationships Committee the God and Country awards, serve as an AA to a Crew, and am the proud father of an Eagle with his first bronze palm.

Since you see us revealing our names, sir, yours please?

Gonzo: Email sent.

John Perkowski

Owl Patrol

C-40-05

Working my ticket as I can...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

OK, I guess I'll play.

Karen K. Buchanan, involved with Girl Scouting as a youth, adult involvement with BSA for 14 years

Current BSA roles:

Scoutmaster, Troop 313

District Training Committee-Cub Scout/Boy Scout New Leader Essentials and Cub Scout Leader Position Specific

Former BSA roles: Many of them at the same time

Cubscouts: Tiger Cub Den Leader, Wolf, Bear and Webelos Den Leader, Asst. Cubmaster, Cubmaster

Boy Scouts: Troop Committee Advancement Chair

District: Cub Roundtable Commish, Cubscout Cuboree Chair, Training Chair, Day Camp Advisor

Council: Cub Resident Camp Director.

I think that's it...

My turn!

Troop Currently - ASM & Advancement Coordinator with my Troop.

Troop Previously - Cubmaster of Pack 38 for 3 years, ASM with my current Troop for 2 years, CC with my current Troop for 7 years, SM with my current Troop for 7 years.

Training Attended - Scoutmaster Fundamentals & Wood Badge NE-V-120

District Stuff - Member of Camping Committee, District Training Staff, staffed over a dozen camporees, chaired 4 camporees, staffed numerous Webelos Woods & Cub Scout Fun Days. Chaired Mall Show.

Awards - Cubmaster Award, Training Award, District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, Vigil Honor.

There might be more I forgot about.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Brian,

I didn't list my previous experience as others have.

Arrow of Light

Eagle Scout

ASM

Committee Meber

ASM 2 more times in different troops

SM

Scoutmaster fundamentals,

WB

Tiger Den Leader

Instructor for Outdoor Leader Skills

Instructor for Fast Start and Leader (position) Specific training

Community Organization Award

When my son moves up in 2 months, I'll take on some role in his troop, whatever is needed to be the best use of my time and talent for the troop.

I think that's it.

Merry Christmas

ok, why not...

Positions held:

ASM

SM

ADL

DL

Pack committee

Cubmaster (current)

Venturing Advisor (current)

District Committee (current)

Council Program Committee (current)

*stepping down as cubmaster in March (son crossing over)

Training:

New leader essentials/Leader specific (Den leader, Cubmaster, Venturing Advisor, Scoutmaster)

Outdoor leader training

BALOO

POW WOW

Wood Badge

Commissioner college of science

New Leader essentials/leader specific (trainer)

Climbing Lead Instructor Training

BALOO (course director)

Pow Wow (assistant course director)

*National Camp School- Climbing instructor (spring)

*Powder horn next fall

*Pow Wow course director next fall

Awards:

Eagle Scout

Cub Scouter Training Award

Cubmaster Training Award

William D. Boyce- New unit organizer award

Wood Badge

With all due respect folks, there is nothing wrong with not making your name public on the internet. In fact, most folks who deal in any kind of security will tell you NOT to do so. A name and a town is all that is needed to invite some serious trouble from a deranged person. Chances are slim that it will happen, but anything is possible. Some folks here display their name like a badge of honor. That is fine if you want to do that. Personally, I don't. There are a number of folks here like Eamonn, EagleDad, Trevorum and others that I have corresponded with and provided my name to. I trust them. Sometimes all it takes is a little detective work to track someone down anyway. Especially people who have registered a website. I could probably be tracked down by my screen name since it is my WB course and patrol. I'd suspect you'd have to call the council office and ask and they would tell you to take a hike though.

Brian makes a point that he knows enough about scouting to indicate he is in scouting. He did flub a lot of the finer detail, but that could be because of his obvious dislike of many aspects of WB and scouting in general and not paying attention as a result. Still, no one really has any business trying to bully him into providing his name over the internet.

I got a nasty e-mail once from a forum participant. He figured out my personal e-mail address, full name, home address, and telephone. It was a little scary in that my house, personal property and livelihood were being threatened. I go to lengths to keep that stuff confidential, and still. Theres a lot of wackos out there.

Boy are we way off topic on this one.

With all the tools of the internet it is pretty easy to find out who someone is.. heck this website logs IP addresses! On top of it, you have to register to get a name here. But there should never be any worries here, we are all good scouters, right?

To satisfy all those who questioned me being at woodbadge, my course number was WE7-1XX-03-06. This has little to do with any topic I have ever posted.

Thanks to all who have give me constructive ideas and share my singular concern about the year after year decline in scouting. Agree or disagree with my specific ideas, we all share the same belief that scouting is very important and needs to be in the lives of many boys... as many as possible.

Brian,

Again, it's not so much disrespectful in my opinion as it is selfish (to have your beads mailed). Enjoy a small ceremony with your patrol members, a friend or two from your district, your course director and any other staff members you had or developed a special bond with.

Check the other threads in the WB area for ceremony ideas.

SR540, I know about the risk, but my name is out there anyway, I can only hope that scouters will not be waiting to 'beat me up' after a campfire program at some camp-o-ree because we disagree about something ;) I'm generally more concerned that some patient is unhappy with his bill. I also exchange emails with forum members, privacy is and should be important to everyone.

Many of my friends, particularly old military friends call me Gonzo, I tried to use that but couldn't log in, so I went with Gonzo1.

Even though some of us disagree, I happy this forum exists and that we can exchange idea. In some emails, some of us will meet to go hike and camp, some of us will meet for lunch, everyone seems nice.