Is it disrepectful to request WB beads just be mailed?

After 300 hours and $5000 spent, I just completed my last ticket. (One of my tickets for those that question was to go study another culture for a few days out of the country. Just got back last night, hence the extra cost as I took my family with me).

I wrote a post card from abroad to my leader to validate I was doing what my ticket had on it, and I was studying abroad. Instead of some ceremony, another WB, or even in front of my boys at my troops next court of honor, I just wrote on the last line "And now, since my tickets are completed, why don't you just stick my beads in the mail and save us all time." After it was mailed, I realized that I did not want to minialize the beads... I just don't need the spotlight or to take time away from the boys. Is this disrepectful?

Is 300 documentable hours and $5000 spent enough to get the few critics who did not like my website to realize my leader's approval was not insane?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is up to you how your beads are presented. However, this is my view on adult awards. I have den leaders that say "I don't care about leader awards because it's not about me." My response is that it's just as important for the boys to see a leader being recognized for their accomplishments as it is for boy to be recognized for advancement. What kind of message does it send to the boys if they never see adults get anything for the time they put into scouting?

I have lived and worked in other countries so I am all for inter-cultural exchanges and experiences because I believe they can be true learning and growth opportunities. I do not, however, see an automatic connection to scouting and for most of us who serve in a unit or even a district level position I fail to see the immediate relevance to our positions. I can think of many, many, better ways to work the "diversity" aspect of one's ticket that would have more obvious benefits to units and districts.

Just as an Eagle patch is just a piece of cloth, the beads are just pieces of wood, and can be either earned or purchased. In the end your beads are worth whatever you personally believe you put into, and get out of, earning them, no more, no less. So yours cost you $5000 and a trip abroad and that is apparently a large part of how you measure their worth. I suspect you might have purchases a set at Gilwell park in Britain for less.

I do not measure the value of my beads in monetary terms but they are dear to me none the less for all that they represent. Each time I put them on they also remind me of the responsibility I took on when I earned them.

And yes, I do think it is disrespectful to just have the beads mailed in most cases. Consider how we might feel about a boy who "earns" Eagle and requests we just drop the patch in the mail. I can't think of (m)any true Eagles who would take that approach. But then there are cases where perhaps the recipient would be embarrassed to receive the award in front of their peers.

LOL! I've been in scouting as a ASM, Crew Advisor, Council Webelos outdoor trainer, Fundamentals Scoutmaster, Woodbadge recipient, Cub Advancement Chairman, Outstanding Venturing Leader, Webelos Leader, etc. etc. and I have been told that I don't promote myself and for that reason, I'll never get the District Award of Merit or Silver Beaver. 23 years of scouting! Sorry, Folks! I have more important things to do than run for political accolades from my voting peers. I have more fun with my boys and would prefer being in the trenches with my boys. The really sad part of the whole process is that people I trained have advanced politically in scouts further than I have. So what. I have helped 12 boys Eagle, and I have 4 more finishing projects or wrapping up their requirements.

I received my Wood Badge beads at a Troop COH. I don't remember much of the event. Working my ticket was the best time I ever had in scouting. I liked it so much I continued on with it for 2 years after completing the ticket.

I know what I've accomplished, and so do my boys. 'Nuff said.

Brian,

Greetings!

First off, congrats on completing the second and practical portion of Wood Badge. Here are a couple of comments in my own opinion.

Is it disrespectful to request WB bead just be mailed?

I feel that everyone should celebrate successes and completions, at work, at school, at home, at church, at Scouts, and etc. Both youth and adults. Do you celebrate each anniversary? Do you celebrate birthdays? Do you celebrate graduations? Do you feel that your ticket accomplishment has assisted yourself, as well as the youth you serve? Then I personally would celebrate a success.

Many youth enjoy seeing their fathers and mothers contributions appreciated. If it is WB Beads, training knot, camporee patch, certificate, a gag gift, or a handshake.

Most Committee Chairs know that the occasional Congressional Pat on the Back Cheer and Golf Clap are the little things that keep the parents putting mileage on the van and gas in the tanks.

And a talented Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Advisor, or Commissioner knows how not to take time away from the boys or take the spotlight away from the youth.

As for your second question.

Is 300 documentable hours and $5000 spent enough to get the few critics who did not like my website to realize my leader's approval was not insane?

Do you have to put a price tag on your contributions to Scouting? Most Wood Badgers continue to give, beyond completing their ticket and achieving their beads. (Time, money, resources, skills, etc) They never quiet reach the finish line of trying to serve their sons, their family and Scouting.

If you feel that you have to ask if you spent enough.maybe you should review your Wood Badge notes, or maybe even consider attending the next years course again.

Finally, I really don't think you want to compare time and money that you have contributed to Scouting with our fellow Scouters on this forum. ((On a humorous note, maybe some Scouting widows would like to swap some stories))

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Would the staff member that was so disrespectful as to delete my posting please contact me.

Opposing viewpoints are fine. Derisive, demeaning comments and personal attacks with no redeeming social value are not.

FScouter

Moderator (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

The reason to take Wood Badge is to learn and/or improve upon the leadership skills that will help us better serve the boys at whatever level we contribute to the BSA (unit, district, council or national). One of these skills is to lead by example.

If you contribute at the unit level and developing leadership skills in the boys you serve is an important part of the contribution you want to make, have your beading ceremony at your COH and use it as a platform to promote NYLT.

If you contribute at the district level, have your beading ceremony at your roundtable and use it as a platform to promote the training to unit leaders.

Getting and wearing your beads is not about showing off. It's about setting an example.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

I think this is a hoot! Brian rants & raves about all the problems in the BSA & he completes (at least he said he did) his ticket & he wants his beads "stuck in an envelope & mailed to him". And he wonders why people have a problem with his rants!

No. 3,000,000 hours & $5,000,000,000 spent doesn't attest to anyones sanity except your own.

What did you learn about this other culture or was this just a vacation?

And why are their two threads about the exact same thing?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

I agree with and endorse LisaBob's comments on this!

I disagree that accounting the $5,000 entirely to Wood Badge is a valid and trustworthy way of accounting for your earnings! Sir, you chose to take your family someplace. For your bride and children, it was an educational experience, and perhaps a vacation experience. FOR THEM: Was is a Scouting experience? If so, how?

Your own travel and expenses? Maybe. Even then, what Lisa said applies. Diversity is a word full of current connotational BUZZ. Could you have done something which expanded your horizons, had you see different ways of working, playing, and serving without a $5,000 trip?

Only you can answer that last question.

Finally, I note it has been 3 months and 6 days since your first post to this forum. When did your coursework in WB end? It seems to me you may be flirting with the "six-months-minimum" rule my TG gave me (didn't need to worry, it basically took me a full year to work the first Ticket of the rest of my life... :) )

May you serve youth well and truly as a Scouter.

thanks to all the posts... my tg did not tell me about the 6 month min.. perhaps if that applies he will wait a month or two to send them... it is almost 6 months already... he has not sent them yet.

I was beat up abit for suggesting I may not wear the beads but put them in a drawer or with other awards. I simply was making a point I can't wear everything. Some of you would weigh an extra 300 lbs or more if you wore every single award ever received.

Is $5000 spent and/or 300 hours invested above or below average to complete the tickets?

I would rather not explain my trip abroad... the critics might tear up my words.

Here is my two cents.....I don't think it's disrespectful. Only the manner in which the question was stated is disrespectful.

Some people just don't want to be part of an event that a beading ceremony can become. Maybe Brian is really the shy and retiring type! If the ticket is complete, and the beads have been earned, the method of receiving them is really up to the recipient.

As for the 300 hours and $5000, I don't get it! If he feels that he's bought his bead, then he simply hasn't earned them and shouldn't get them!