HI EVERYONE,I HAVE A PROBLEM.ONE OF THE SCOUTS.IN MY SONS TROOP IS HAVING A HARD TIMES. HIS DEN LEADER SAYS IF HE DOES NOT PAY HIS DUES.HE WILL BE UNABLE TO GET THE AWARDS HE WORKED SO HARDS IN CAMP FOR. PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU THINK THIS IS PROPER,OR IS IT DISCRIMINATION.

It wouldn't be discriminatory in and of itself, but a poor application of a "pay or don't play" rule.

Situations such as this can be handled. I have two scouts that come to mind who are in similar circumstances. They are brothers, both are in state custody from abusive homes and had no positive male role model in their lives.

One was 'adopted' by the Fraternal Order of Police chapter at our local PD, the other by our Fire Department. They pay the dues, bought their uniforms, and help with camp.

Our Charter Org. is aware of the situation, and will help also if we ask, although I suspect that it would come out of the COR's back pocket - thus we don't ask.

Finally, our CC has a stash of 'secret SM funds' which cover emergencies. I don't know where he gets it .. I don't ask .. but when something hits the fan, there's always an envelope in his briefcase with some spare cash in it that fills in any blank spots.

Yes, it's important for a boy to pay his own way through scouting, but when times get tough for some of them and their families, I think it's even more important that we find a way to keep those scouts involved and worry less about the money. When times are tough for a family, it may be then that those scouts need us most.

We have standing policy of our pack of picking up the costs for families that are in need. Our Council will do the same on an appropriate basis.

If you can "certify" that the family is truly having hard times, then your committee can simply offer to carry this boy with Pack or Troop funds.

One of the difficulties here is the determination of need. Is the family really in trouble, or is the kid playing football /baseball / soccer, and there is no more discretionary money left for scouting?

And of course there is this.the boys went to camp! If there was money for camp why isnt there money for dues? Maybe its just timing, maybe not, or maybe he earned his camp money. Either way you need to ask a few more questions.

It's not "discrimination". It's a reality. Scouting costs money. When the Pack advancement chairman goes to the Scout Shop to get badges and arrow points, there has to be money to pay for them, or Council won't let them out the door. As a training chairman, if I want to copy handouts for a training class, my Council charges me 9 cents a copy. The money has to come from somewhere. I either "eat it" or pass on the cost to the students. Your Pack faces the same choices.

Ideally, Scouts are encouraged to "earn their way" ... getting Mom and Dad to fork over the dues is not the first choice, either. Every kid can do "something" to earn money. Wash a car, mow a lawn, rake leaves, sell popcorn to add to his "Scout Bucks" account (which he can then use to pay his dues). But the answer "you can't have a Wolf badge because your mom did not stroke us a check" is not the right answer either. Have a good Pack fundraiser...then no one will have to pay "dues".

Guest OldGreyEagle

I am closing this thread, not because of the quality, but of the quantity, lets keep all replies under the "reply to child unable to pay dues" thread (This message has been edited by a staff member.)