CAMPAIGN TO IGNORE THIS USER: FOG

Have you ever known a couple of people both of whom you basically liked, but who just couldn't stand each other? Where the actions and statements of each seemed to drive the other to extremes? I'll bet you have--sometimes they're even married to each other. So, while I think it would be better for both of them to really and truly ignore each other--I don't feel the need to ignore them. I also have the amazing ability to move my eyes past a post I don't want to read, even without squelching the poster.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember it the boers were moping up the British Troops and Lord Baden Powell came up with scouts that he trained to do things with character. Sometimes I found in Scouting there were folks that came accross as negative but were there when the rubber meet the road.

All of us would rather someone if he has a beef with us to say it to our face rather than behind our back.

Sometimes I realize that the message was correct even the messager said it in a way that I did not like it.

As KS, TwoCubDad, Hunt and ASM1 said, don't buy the magazine, turn the channel, skip over the post. Your choice.

An organized "campaign" seems un-Scoutlike and un-American. I didn't squelch Wheeler, why would I "shun" or "boycott" FOG?

I think Eamonn or OGE said it first, some of what FOG posts is deliberate chain-jerking, sometimes to elicit a specific discussion on a subject that is of importance to him.

And some of it is plain old Bob White bashing.

Most of the posters are "adult" in age, if not behaviour. Part of what we are supposed to be teaching Scouts through "Adult Association" is that not every adult in life is kind, fair or Fred MacMurray in "Follow Me, Boys". There are people like FOG appears to be in some of his posts in the real world. Scouts need to learn to deal with them, too.

FOG is entitled to his tone and his opinions. You are entitled to not agree with either. None of us follows the Scout Oath and Law 100% of the time - we are human.

(This message has been edited by Marty_Doyle)

FOG and I tend to share some common ground once in a while. I'm not the most active user here, but from what I have seen he seems to be on the square. Sort of a drill sargent type figure, he's on your side but he can be loud and excited some times. I feel it is his right to say what he wants for the most part. As an organization we take a pretty hostile view of other people's choices (gays, athiests) so why shouldn't FOG be able to argue about other people's choices within scouting?

Yelling "fire" in a theater is not free speech, but yelling "I don't like how you think about religion" is. If you don't like what he has to say, you don't get trampled to death and you can argue with him all you want.

mabey

I believe that Mrs. Smith's point is not to keep anyone from talking, but to remind others that you do not have to listen. She has made it clear in at least two posts that she would prefer decent content to personal attacks.

This is not a Free Speech issue from what I read, it is a free association issue. You are free to say whatever you wish, and anyone may choose to ignore you. The fact that we can use technology to assist us is no sin. If some can use this technology to insult, lie about, or attack others then why can't I and others use the same technology to filter them out?

I participate in this forum to discuss scouting, not to be a target for anyone, regardless of how little they like today's scouting or how badly they deliver it. So of the hundreds who join this forum I choose to ignore two. The squelch feayure merely makes it easier.

Well, Bob, since you are so hep on using the tools available on this site, I suggest you start using the spell checker.

You can squelch anyone you want. But you are the one who is missing out on valuable posts & information.

Someone please tell Bob this is here since he has squelched me.

Thanks

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"I haven't bought a Playboy for about 7 years, but if there's one on the coffee table, I figure I might as well catch up with the times. "

The articles are still good but the pictures are too depressing, most of the models are young enough to be my daughter. Maybe even my granddaughter if I started early :(

I've been monitoring this thread but havn't had the time to respond until now.

"Take him with a grain of salt, and look for the good. "

This statement from KS pretty much sums up my thoughts on FOG and several others on the forum. The only real issue I would have with FOG is the level of personal comments regarding another poster. Other than that, while his comments can be direct, they are frequently insightful. Ironically I could apply the same statement to BW.

I enjoy the exchange here in the forums, even those I disagree with. An organized campaign to squelch a user seems rather extreme to me. Frankly, I would prefer not to comment on the specifics of personalities because I don't think we get enough info from just the posts here to judge people and will admit I'm uncomfortable with this response.

SA

willysjeep, I suggest that you ARE free to shout, "fire!" in a theatre. Such expression is simply not protected as a constitutional right.

FOG, I suspect that young female forms are not what you really find depressing. I tell the boys often that they'll blink their eyes a few times and they'll be 40 years old. That usually puts a scare into them.

I haven't been here long, but from what I gather about FOG is that he is like the uncle that plays "Pull My Finger" at the family barbeque. Then hands you a good piece of advice, and ask you what that on your shirt and plucks you on the nose when you look down.

This has been a very instructive discussion for someone new to this organization called Boy Scouting. I have seen it written that when you obey the Scout Law, other people will respect you for the way you live, and you will respect yourself. It is useful to know where all of you "old timers" stand when considering whether to respect the advice each of you offer. I could not think of a better way to ask everyone to stand up and be counted than this. Now I know. Thank you all for your participation.

And keep the stars as a tip.....