CAMPAIGN TO IGNORE THIS USER: FOG

I have learned a lot by reading the thoughtful and considerate posters on this forum. Although many times there is disagreement, the majority dont get personal with each other. I have not been a member very long and I personally have not been the subject of any of FOG's attacks, but I have read with disgust his rude, gratuitous attacks against Bob White and Christianity. Is FOG really a Scouter; or are he and his supporters just trying to discredit Scouting by behaving so badly that anyone visiting this forum is turned off Scouting? I cannot imagine any of the boys in my son's troop saying some of the things FOG says on this public forum. Maybe thats because

A Scout is Friendly. A Scout is a friend to all. He respects them even if their beliefs are different from his own.

A Scout is Courteous. A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.

A Scout is Kind. A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated.

A Scout is Reverent. A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Moderator, what are your standards for posts? I am amazed that he is permitted to continue posting on a Scouting forum. Of course, everyone is entitled to have an opinion on everything, but it is impossible to take seriously the advice of someone who makes such a mockery of the very Ideals which are the basis for your forum. If you think that FOG is harmless and amusing, you need to know such Ad Hominem attacks make for very BORING posts, intimidate people who would like to participate and therefore, reduce traffic on the site. Maybe if the hundreds of casual readers like myself chose to hit the IGNORE FOG button, he would change or go away. Im willing to try.

I havent said anything before because I did not want to be attacked, too. But it was pointed out to me that a Scout is also Brave. And although I am fully aware that FOG and his gang dont believe women belong in BSA, some of you will consider the opinion of any adult who believes in Scouting and wants to support its Ideals. Goodbye FOG.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to consider the forum members as Scouters in a circle around a campfire, albeit a virtual one. I've had grouchy contrarians in every unit I've been with, and sometimes they've driven me nuts, but I wouldn't run any of them out of town on a rail. Whether or not we agree with his points or his style in presenting them, he keeps coming back here because he wants to participate. I prefer to occasionally shake my head over someone's post than to banish them. My opinion only.

KS

"I prefer to occasionally shake my head over someone's post than to banish them. My opinion only.

KS"

Oh, come on. A good banishment following a nice 'turn' on the rack just seems brightens up the old board. Not to mention a good flogging now and again. Where is my cat o' nine tails when I need it?

;^)

Mrs. Smith

I agree! I have brought this issue up before, and most poster here seem to think he is an all right guy! Figure that one out! He has talked about men and sheep, slamming entire states! And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I really wonder what the youth think when they read his posts. Have emailed the moderator and was ignored! He has been banned from here before, and banned from another scouting forum also.

For those of you who agree that he should be here, do you not think any youths read this forum?

Mister Smith

I'd like to hope that I have called FOG on being rude most of the times when he has been rude. I still wish he would stop, as I think it clouds his message.

I don't keep track, but I'd guess I've agreed with the essence of his posts roughly half the time. Although I don't remember him saying women should not be in Scouting, if he did say that, I'd disagree there. But one of his major complaints about the world today is the lower standard we hold youth to (that is me papraphrasing many of his posts). And with that, I agree 100%.

There are a few people who I would like to pay more attention to tone. FOG is one. But he is mostly harmless, and has some valid points, even the ones I disagree with.

The question I have about ignoring someone is how you would sort out responsies that refer to a post the person being ignored made. Even if someone offended me, I'd rather know what he said than try to guess it when the next guy (or gal) refered to it.

Mark

You aren't the first or only one who has squelched him Mrs. Smith. Each person can choose the poison they are willing to let into their lives.

I agree that there are many different people around the fire, but a person is known by the company they keep, and to share the fire with anyone, inspite of their behavior, will only end up reflecting badly you.

It leaves each of us with a choice. Share your company with anyone regardless of how it reflects on you, remove the offensive person, or remove yourself and only share the fire with those who do not damage your own reputation.

Squelching him effectively rids him of your fire. I think it's a good choice.

I squelched him as soon as the feature became available, and dispite that I understand his attacks continue. I am saddened by some of the posters who are not bothered by that. I am surprised by the number of posters who dispite their disagreement with this person's behavior are afraid to point to it and say that it is unacceptable.

firstpusk, a change of heart by FOG would be preferable, but banishment would be acceptable. After seeing The Passion, I would not wish a scourging on anyone.

Purcelce, Korea Scouter and Trailpounder, Do you also read Playboy for just for the articles? Come on. Is there any kind of talk you would not tolerate around the campfire? And although its a free country, would you tolerate this from Scouts?

evmori, you usually sign your posts with a Bible verse (1 Peter 4:10) Why?

I don't understand people defending the ugly public face FOG puts on Scouting. In my opinion, at the very least, his more rude posts should be disavowed by the members who choose to claim to be just humoring him, unless you agree with that type of behavior by a Scout Leader. As a matter of fact, that should go for anyone who berates and degrades other members of this forum in the name of Scouting.

I too find FOG's personal attacks gratuitous, unnecessary, and un scoutlike. As far as I can tell, I have been slammed only one. He does contribute useful insights from time to time, in spite of his attitude problem. Hopefully he will maybe mend the errors of his ways.

mrssmith wrote "Purcelce, Korea Scouter and Trailpounder, Do you also read Playboy for just for the articles? Come on. Is there any kind of talk you would not tolerate around the campfire? And although its a free country, would you tolerate this from Scouts? "

Madam,

Please don't put words in my mouth. I don't read the above publication. How would you like it if I posted something like....."Do you smoke crack? come on." I don't think you would appricate it. Therefore I don't appricate yours.

My suggestions is to use Bob's words of wisdom of squelching FOG if you don't like what he has to say.

As for me, and a few others around these parts, we like to hear what everyone has to say.

KS,

Still got opening at your camp?

YIS

Cary P

purcelce, are you serious? The Playboy stmt is a figure of speech, meaning "Do you really expect anybody to believe that". I am sorry if you thought that I was accusing you of actually reading Playboy. I don't know what you read, except this forum. But I see that it was inappropriate to lump you and Trailpounder, in with KoreaScouter. Neither of you actually expressed disapproval of FOG's tirades. At least, KoreaScouter claims he silently disapproves.

KoreaScouter: I believe the illusion that this is a virtual campfire and all the boys are in bed and therefore cannot be harmed by frank discussions is erroneous. This is a public forum; boys are learning how to be adult leaders from FOG, too.

mk9750 I know you don't mean that just because you agree with some of FOG's points, his behavior is tolerable. If you agree with a point he raised, you would probably have made it yourself -in a kinder and gentler way.

My question still stands: is there any "campfire" conversation to which you silent disapprovers would say "Thanks, but thanks"? I say take a stand for Scoutings Ideals as embodied in the Scout Law and hold FOG to them, too.

I ignore FOG and quite a few other posters all the time. I have no difficulty completely ignoring things I find it to be offensive, inane or false. As has been noted, if you have trouble doing this, Scouter Terry has provided the means of squelching particular individuals if you like.

I judge individuals on their own merit. FOG's tirades and sniping only undermine his own arguments and ability to make a point. If people learn to discount the baloney he spouts, they will discount everything he says. But that's his problem. I believe the cream will eventually rise to the top.

And speaking of offensive, I don't know why others feel the need to police what I choose to read. Whether it is an article (or even the pictures) in Playboy or FOG calling Bob White names, it is only up to Hugh Hefner, Scouter Terry and me to determine if I may read it. The first two control the content of their magazine or web site, I control my computer's delete key.