COMPLAINTS: Vanishing and Moving Messages

Okay, here is my take. I (acco40) purposely wanted to provide a "thought provoking" post and tried to use humor as a vehicle to teach a lesson or two.

The thread happened to float around the topic of moderators and if they maybe "moderate" a bit too much or not. (Message to Terry - either change our title to staff member or change the tag line to edited by a moderator). It was also a way to point out, to those who may not have known, how to tell who is and who is not a moderator.

FYI - slut is not a vulgar word (according to Webster's Collegiate Dictionary). However, I fully understand why some would find it offensive. By the way, it's primary definition is to define a slovenly woman and not a judgment about sexual behavior.

Also, FYI, a moderator (not me) did edit the post and remove that word. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same in this post. I'll also fill you in on a little secret that the moderator who did edit post did not send me a PM as to why or if they could edit. Of course, I wasn't expecting them to do that either. Am I a little peturbed that they edited my post? Well a very tiny bit. I think it is natural for most of us to get a little defensive when our posts are judged as unsuitable for any reason.(This message has been edited by acco40)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument could be made that the term is inherently unchristian, in that it is an accusation not unlike the accusation that Jesus was asked to judge in which he stated that he who is without sin throw the first stone.

On the other hand - that term is not without utility in describing an aberrant and sinful behavior.

I wish that our culture still mostly thought in those terms. There seems to be no shame left in our society- how can you have s***s when virginity is looked on with ridicule- adults put their girls on birth control at 12 and 13, and many if not most kids don't even date anymore - they hook up.

Lower the standard and the language becomes arcane. The truth remains- sex out of wedlock is adultery and sinful to a majority of believers in this nation no matter what name you call it.

Pappy

One of the reasons forums have problems is 1) moderators that do not moderate fairly and evenly and 2) forum members who find it necessary to push the limits on just about everything. Even this thread seems to be in-line with these types of problems. Anonymity allows personalities on the forum to express ideas in 1) a way totally devoid of body language, voice inflection or tone and 2) unless they get banned, no probability of impunity. That makes for a whole world of misinterpretations, hurt feelings and upset members. Of course this doesn't even begin to address the issue of those who find it quite amusing to always assume a perspective of Devil's Advocate on everything posted. They either think this amusing or they genuinely believe this moves the discussion along.

Then there is the dynamic that unless everything follows as one has posted, anything contrary means the poster was wrong, didn't know what he was talking about or was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Different perspectives will always produce differing ideas on the same subject, many times both correct under different circumstances. Of course there are those whose fuse is so short that forum-rage is second only to road-rage for these people and everything is personal and must be won at all cost.

With that being said, being a moderator is a delicate tight-rope walk that will basically damn them no matter what they do or decide. I have been a moderator on forums for over 10 years now and when it become more work than fun, it's time to move on to better forums. There are a lot of forums that simply implode on themselves because they cannot find moderators that understand the dynamics of this new medium and then there will always be those members that haven't figured it out either.

Just my views, your mileage may vary.

Stosh

I find it fascinating that the XX crowd sees why that word should not be used by scouters but the XYers think it is Ok.

If there was an equivalent type of word to describe a male as such you would most likely see it banned.

Isnt it strange that terms describing female as loose are insults but terms to describe males who act the same are complements? Just something to chew over.  ;)

Fire Cat-

Perhaps you complaint about this word and how your perception of an XY X X double standard about licentiousness could be spun into its own thread.

I think that the Christian, Orthodox Jewish and Muslim view is that this is aberrant behavior. (The sexual deviance- not the going off message on threads).

Libertinism and casual out of wedlock sexual dalliance is equally offensive to those that believe that it is both socially and morally and spiritually damaging behavior.

It does indeed rise to being timely- worth while, and relevant to this forum if we Scouters really do take our jobs seriously. The formation of boys must be global according to the scout law and not specialized to the SMs personal comfort zone of say lashings and orienteering.

While sex may not come up in conversation in meetings and the manuals that often, the implication can be expressed that reverence to a maker, along with most of the other scout law implies that we should not start something we dont intend on following through with.

Fact Dating IS courtship.

Fact- Courtship is a path towards Marriage.

Fact Marriage is something recognized in Heaven.

Fact- Marriage is a promise, an oath, a covenant, and a Mans duty bound to uphold it before God.

Besides the fact that the Marriage vow is the most broken oath in the world with so many marriages ending in divorce- it is still something that should be viewed as a catastrophe by both scouting sensibility and by religious and societal standards.

Talk about awkward. I have had children whose parents were onto to their second or third marriage when they were conceived in my CCD (Religion Class)They actually werent conceived IN my class room. Now THAT would be awkward.

Catholics do not recognize divorce as being legitimate before the eyes of God as Jesus proclaimed in Matthew. It is no doubt a tough subject, and no one wants to be seen as judgmental and hypocritical. But especially for children, out of wedlock sex is wrong and dangerous physically, mentally, and spiritually. But you will never be a hypocrite if you talk in the terms that we are all weak, we all fall down, we are all tempted to do what is wrong, and we are all given another chance to make things right before God and to one another.

SO Kudos to you and your sensitivity Fire Cat!!

Men can be ignorant S***S as well.

Did I put the fire out- or pour more bacon grease on it?

Pappy

"Catholics do not recognize divorce as being legitimate before the eyes of God as Jesus proclaimed in Matthew."

I thought that in Matthew Jesus said, "give your wife a divorce but don't go back for any special favors."

Strange thing is that Catholics don't recognize divorce but they will annul marriages which is really just a legal fiction for divorice. Maybe it's just a money making scheme.

Serious veering off thread alert!

Fact is, FireKat, there were some guys that also found the word offensive, couple of others who fell into the "well, if it bothered you, then we shouldn't have used it", and the rest didn't find it offensive. Epithets generally only truly bother the class of people to which they are applied (notice I didn't say specific people, I said class). That's why it's important to develop sensitivies to such things without going totally pc.

Acco, I think you were wrong on this one, but it isn't a ditch I'm willing to die in.

Vicki

The topic of this thread is (was) forum moderation and weve veered significantly away from that. Since there seem to be no more comments about that, now is a good time to close this thread. There are other moderation threads that can be added to, or if you have a new angle on the subject, feel free to start a new thread.

Unless topics like God, religion, sexual dalliance, and epithets have a direct bearing on Scouting, those subjects can be more thoroughly discussed in the Issues & Politics forum, which was established specifically for that kind of discussion.

Thanks Vicki for the reminder about veering off topic. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)