Bob White's Disappearence

Guest OldGreyEagle

Guest OldGreyEagle

This is in response to a thread where Bob White's status was questioned, I put this here in an effort not to hijack the thread.

I don't know why Bob White has chosen to not post.

I know his last postings were on a day that several people took issue with his posts and I asked that both he and Ed stop picking on each other. People are free to post or not post here and after monitoring other scout related forums, this one has to be one of the more free ranging, no holds barred places and I like it that way

But, I established when Bob White took a hiatus a while back that talking about someone when they were not posting would result in closing the thread, deleting the entry, etc. I did the same thing when FatOldGuy was asked to leave, I apologize to those who I might have offended when I did that, I realize some might not have known he was posting under other names.

We seem to be able to abuse, berate, chastise, deride, excoriate, flog, gouge, harras, indict, judge, knock, lambaste, monish, nay say, ostracize, pummel, quell, rebuke, scathe, thrash, upbraid, vex, whip, xyrospasm, yaw and zeitgeist those who do post enough we don't need to turn our attention to those who don't

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 2 months ago, I went into my own little snit when some negative posts were written about my comments. I stopped posting and told several others I would do so. I continued to read the Forum and was humored by the personal umbrage taken by people who were attacked by several authors. Just as I did. Since then, I have posted about 5 times, only when I feel I have something very specific to contribute. I completely disregard the personal commentary and do not respond to those who typically do this. I continue to consider them idiots, but choose not to comment or say so. Sometimes we just need a break.

I feel much better, thank you.

While the points may have been factual, I for one, do not miss the bickering. I can't count the times that certain posters needed to be reminded of how many points of the Scout Law they were violating in their fervor of defending "the program". What an oxymoron! A Scout is Friendly, Courteous and Kind. I was sorta disappointed when FOG was suspended, although I understand that it was done for the right reasons. He had a lot to offer the forum, but it was wrong to misrepresent his identity by posting under multiple Usernames. A Scout is Trustworthy. I was once PM'd by someone who thought my response was disrespectful, and in hindsight, it was. Since then, when I post, I try to be helpful, without being sarcastic or critical (as in, "if you would bother to go to training, you wouldn't have to ask this question"). I try to address the issue, not the person.

My feeling is that, as in Scouting, no one person's departure is going to be a show-stopper. There are plenty of smart people here who can pick up the slack, and perhaps even do it better. So what say we get back to Scouting!

Yes we have many smart posters here. They are so smart that they have developed their own program, so they do not need to follow the BSA program.

How in the world can you talk about friendly kind and fog in same sentence, what in the heck where you reading!

Signed one of the idiots!

I miss Daniel Steele because of his knowledge and wisdom of the BSA program. We are the less because of his absence. We owe him a debt of gratitude for his help.

I miss the Fat Old Guy because he could hold his own in any argument and give it an unexpected twist. His emotions lead him astray of many basic Scouting principles on numerous occasions which caused the best and the worst of us discomfort.

I miss Bob White because he can shave a minor point in an argument to a very fine point. It is an accomplishment worthy of note.

I do not miss any of the fighting any of the time from anyone, including myself.

After reading and learning from each of these above mentioned individuals, I have found that Scouting knowledge has great depth and a wide scope and that no one person has it cornered.

On this New Year's resolutions:

I hope that whoever remains in this forum that we will be civil to each other and accepting of each of the other's views. I hope that we can learn to illicit humor from each other, instead of bitterness. I hope that we share the best of all of our Scouting knowledge from all angles so as to shine light where there is none.

May Peace be with us and all mankind,

FB

I don't think that it is any secret that Bob White and I are good friends /Pals.

I have talked to Bob about his absence. It would be wrong of me to post what Bob said, he is a big fellow and is more than capable of standing up for himself.

I have to admit thinking of Bob and myself as a "Tag Team", brings up thoughts of professional wrestling and makes me smile.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting him at the Jamboree, who knows if National allows him and I could stage an exhibition bout? On second thoughts - not with our bad backs!!

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I will also be at Jamboree, at the Episcopal Church Relationships booth / tent. I'd love to meet you, Bob and any other Forum members who will be in the neighborhood.

Please stop by and visit, or let me know where you will be. If you want to write me offlist, I am at:

fgoodwin at sbcglobal dot net

Meet me at the Hill!

Fred Goodwin

National Episcopal Scouters Association

http://www.episcopal-scouting.org/

There's a big difference between disagreeing and being disagreeable. BW and I have differed on our opinions from time to time, but it's never gotten personal. I like to think I have a pretty thick skin, but if I had even ten percent of the manure thrown at me that I've seen chucked at him the last three years, I'd have been gone a long time ago. The last place I want to stay is somewhere I think I'm not welcome.

Maybe I'm nuts, but the last thing I want, in any endeavor, is to be surrounded by a bunch of automatons who agree with everything I say. The best organizations I've been a part of had a healthy sprinkling of eccentric, outspoken, gadfly contrarians who regularly compelled me to do reality checks.

KS

I like Bob. I respect his knowledge of the program and his advice. That being said, Bob could be so black and white, by the book and blunt that he came across occasionally as being tactless. But, he was right 99% of the time. Bob has suffered many childish tantrums and attacks from people who wanted to do it their way for whatever reason or excuse they could dream up. Sometimes, Bob would get angry and leave and return after people begged him to come back. I think I may have been one of those people in the past. Bob is a big boy and can make his own decisions. While I'd like to see him return, I won't ask him. Again, that is his own decision. Heck, who knows, he might just be taking a breather. Bob and I post on another forum and he has not been posting there either. Happy Holidays Bob! I hope to meet you at Jambo along with Eamonn.

FOG. I am always amazed at the people here who profess to miss him and what he "offered" the forums. The man had deep troubling issues at best. Go back and read his and many of his multiple personas posts and see just what he actually contributed. I'd venture to say that it was very little. His purpose seemed to be three fold. One was to always be the fly in the ointment, the contraian. Two was to crack snide, cynical one liners. Three was a fixation on Bob White and trying to make his life miserable. To those who don't know, when FOG was banned from here, he followed Bob to another forum and picked up where he left off. The admin was far less tolerable there than here and was constantly having to issue warnings and delete messages for being off topic. FOG (Yaworski) didn't last very long there before being banned. I for one do not miss him and hope he finds the help he desparately needs. I'm glad he is gone.

Bob White was, and I hope still is, a valuable member of this forum.

I did sometimes lose patience with answers, but in hind site he was right more often than not. I can really only think of a few times that after digesting the argument I thought he was in some way wrong.

He is certainly the best one man BSA reference library I know. In a way, he is somewhat inspiring.

Because of him, and others like him, I am turning into one of the local book thumping, policy quoting, so annoyingly right types. The reason for this is I am seeing more and more the value of following the program. I could even list some policy changes that has helped bring about. It isn't so much Bob White, as it was his showing that there really is a correct way to do most things, and that it really is OK to follow the book instead of figuring it out on your own. Around here it seems to be a badge of honor to be untrained, inexperienced, and totally clueless about where to turn for answers, and yet still deliver a decent program.

Bob, if you read this, know that I appreciate your contributions to Scouting, and I hope you at least pop in from time to time because there are some questions that will stump the rest of us, but you will know where to look for answers.