I am also new. I've been reading for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot here.

I am the Tiger Cub Den Leader of a pack that is "in transition", as they say. The pack has been chartered for about 7 yrs. Some friends of mine started it when their son was a Tiger. Both mom and dad were involved at that time, but mom has since retired. Dad is an assistant Scoutmaster. My older son joined (as a Tiger) two years after the pack started. He bridged to Boy Scouts in Feb. My younger son is in first grade this year and now I am back where I started.

Without going into all the details, we are basically starting from scratch this year. We have a new Cubmaster and 11 Tigers (a few may have dropped out already, but I'm still trying...), 3 or 4 Wolves, 2 Bears and 1 Webelos (I think he is second year). The Cubmaster does not have children at this time, but wants to be involved in Scouting. I think that he anticipates having children in the next few years...

Anyway, I spoke with the DE and he has said to do what I can, but let the chips fall where they may. I should run my part of the program as best I can, but let others worry about how they run their section. We have gotten off to a very late start (just had first den and pack meetings on the 18th and 25th of Oct.), but all in all, it is going well.

I am not sure how the boy in Webelos is doing. He may be bridging in Feb., but that will leave a little hole in the program at the Blue and Gold, if you know what I mean! Anyway, I told my parents at our den meeting that I am going to push to have our Tigers all get their Tiger patch at the Blue and Gold. I'm sure we can do it. It will fill the hole and hopefully be a memorable occasion for them. Any ideas on how to make the presentation? I'm also pushing for them to get their paw prints at the Nov. pack meeting, but that should be no problem.

I am open to any suggestions. Nice to meet you all!

D. R. Kellogg

As they say in Motown, I second that emotion! ;)

As a Tiger den leader, don't try to do it all. Concentrate your efforts on your Tiger den. When I presented awards to the boys in my den, I had all of them come up at once and face the crowd. I stood behind them and read what awards they had earned as my assistant den leader physically presented them with the awards. It saved on time - not having each boy come up and sit down as some leaders do when they call out each boys name. By standing behind them, the audience got to see the boys, not me (which I'm sure is what they wanted!).

Welcome to the forums.

I agree with the idea of getting them in front of the group. When I was Cubmaster, we tried to give every den an opportunity to be in front at some time. Whether it was advancement, a skit, or just getting up and telling what they've been up to. They feel like they are part of the program that way.