Advancement and Overbearing Parents

Still here folks, we had a campout this weekend. One of the parents has a snack route and we used his trailer haul bikes to a park and the boys took 21 or 27 mile ride Saturday. I got a bit ill and stayed at camp but it worked out well because on the the bikes had a non standard valve and we couldn't pressurize it so he used mine.

I have read all the posts here at least a couple of times and really appreciate the time you have taken to respond. It has been a lot to think about. I certainly don't want my son to rush through anything and agree completely he need to focus primarily on having fun and mastering Scoutcraft skills. He was patrol grubmaster and due to a rained out event a few weeks ago and moderate attendance this weekend he was assigned to the older scout patrol. He did really well with the cooking with only a couple minor problems. When breaking camp the older boys tried to tell him rolling up his pad and bag were not about strength but skill and tried to show him how as he was holding up breakfast. He got really frustrated and upset because with the equipment he was using it IS about strength. It is hard for me. That can be fixed with a larger stuff sack and a simpler pad. Given the chance for rain and our leaky tents I sent him his moms 3 1/2" REI pad. Great pad, but hard to roll up.

I will just have to play it by ear with this troop. Seeing other scouts rush past him can certainly be discouraging, but if he develops true ambition I can't see slowing him down. It will be largely be upmto him if he wants to work on skills and exercise to get his strength up or play video games. (not that there are no limits on video in my house). At this point he excels when given manageable tasks and takes pride in doing a good job, like patrol grubmaster this weekend.

I am bothered a bit by the perception that Eagle is the destination and not just one milestone on the Journey. I think part of that is the result of the BSAs heavy emphasis on that brand. There are so many other goals achievements past Eagle that I feel to little emphasis is placed on. For instance the National Outdoor Badge and Nova awards. Our council is having a STEM camp week this summer where one badge or Nova Is worked on each day. A format that allows for more time and focus than traditional summer camp format. First class is required so that will have to wait until next summer. (If he gets there, but I am sure he will).

I am curious what T-1 skills are so hard to master in one year ? As long as it a 2 man tent and not some 8 person hotel the tent should be easy enough in a year. The orienteering skills certainly take practice, but is not rocket science. The knots maybe hard for him, but again 15 minutes with some rope a couple of times a week should get it done. If you don't have a fireplace a trash can lid in the driveway should suffice to get some tinder and a few pieces of kindling started. First aid, plants and animals is just memorization. I grill frequently and it is now his job to flip the chicken and burgers. Good time to slow him down and have a chat on the deck. (Why the heck is an instant read thermometer required on the packing list or internal temperature tables in the handbook ? Meat is done when it is done, not how long it has been over heat.)

It was mentioned that it is a rare scout that attends meetings, goes camping, participates in activities, and wants to lead if allowed. That is my son, so far he has perfect attendance, only one of the others in the NSP does.

Please keep up the conversation. These kinds of topics should always be active.

KDD,

Be cautious about giving instructions to SPL/PL (with exception of a safety issue); particulary when it comes to giving instructions about your son. Depending on your position, it can and will be seen as jumping rank. It is the SPL's job to give direction to the PL's. It is the Scoutmaster's job to make observations to the SPL and suggest that he might want ot have a chat with a PL.

Otherwise, 1) youth leaders could be getting conficting directions from multiple sources, 2) youth experience that they are not really the leaders; they simply do what the adults tell them to do.

Everyone else should observe quietly from a distance. Observations and concerns can be discussed with the SM and other ASM's; they can also be raised at the thorns and roses review at the end of the campout.

You did mention that the troop use age based patrols. It does create unique challenges if the new scout patrol has a new scout as a PL, as he has no experience leading, has not learned how to lead by being led by an older boy, and is not respected as a leader by the other scouts in his patrol because he doesn't know any more than they do. In that case, the troop guide should be teaching and coaching the new PL.

I find it more likely for the scouts to have higher standards for the other scouts than do adults, provided that the SM has let the SPL and star scouts know that high standards are expected. One way to re-inforce this is that when the SM finds a scout doesn't know a particular skill, he takes note of who signed the requirement, and has a chat with the signer to let him know that the scout didn't know his skill, and be more diligent in the future about being sure the skills are well learned before signing off.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KDD step back relax....It will happen when it does....Your scout is what 11????? Generally our boys don't get to take swimming till their third trip to summer camp???? So they are 13 or so.
> Seeing other scouts rush past him can certainly be discouraging

Scouts can and will advance at different rates. A couple may catch on quickly and are naturals at everything. A couple won't care about advancement at all and won't be bothered or discouraged by others advancing when they are not. Most are in the middle. They are there to have fun; advancement is a nice bonus, but not why they are there. Seeing other scouts advancing can provide the motivation to learn the required skills. that is part of the positive peer pressure that we want to use for the boys to get better (same with the patrol vs patrol skills competition, which I believe is more effective motivator than advancement.)

Aside from the unusual few that are already good at things when they arrive, and those not motivated by advancement, I would not expect to see other scouts rushing past. The expectations of high of each of them is the same, and most kids will be about the same when it comes to learning skills an dmotivation to pursue them.

Still here folks, we had a campout this weekend. One of the parents has a snack route and we used his trailer haul bikes to a park and the boys took 21 or 27 mile ride Saturday. I got a bit ill and stayed at camp but it worked out well because on the the bikes had a non standard valve and we couldn't pressurize it so he used mine.

I have read all the posts here at least a couple of times and really appreciate the time you have taken to respond. It has been a lot to think about. I certainly don't want my son to rush through anything and agree completely he need to focus primarily on having fun and mastering Scoutcraft skills. He was patrol grubmaster and due to a rained out event a few weeks ago and moderate attendance this weekend he was assigned to the older scout patrol. He did really well with the cooking with only a couple minor problems. When breaking camp the older boys tried to tell him rolling up his pad and bag were not about strength but skill and tried to show him how as he was holding up breakfast. He got really frustrated and upset because with the equipment he was using it IS about strength. It is hard for me. That can be fixed with a larger stuff sack and a simpler pad. Given the chance for rain and our leaky tents I sent him his moms 3 1/2" REI pad. Great pad, but hard to roll up.

I will just have to play it by ear with this troop. Seeing other scouts rush past him can certainly be discouraging, but if he develops true ambition I can't see slowing him down. It will be largely be upmto him if he wants to work on skills and exercise to get his strength up or play video games. (not that there are no limits on video in my house). At this point he excels when given manageable tasks and takes pride in doing a good job, like patrol grubmaster this weekend.

I am bothered a bit by the perception that Eagle is the destination and not just one milestone on the Journey. I think part of that is the result of the BSAs heavy emphasis on that brand. There are so many other goals achievements past Eagle that I feel to little emphasis is placed on. For instance the National Outdoor Badge and Nova awards. Our council is having a STEM camp week this summer where one badge or Nova Is worked on each day. A format that allows for more time and focus than traditional summer camp format. First class is required so that will have to wait until next summer. (If he gets there, but I am sure he will).

I am curious what T-1 skills are so hard to master in one year ? As long as it a 2 man tent and not some 8 person hotel the tent should be easy enough in a year. The orienteering skills certainly take practice, but is not rocket science. The knots maybe hard for him, but again 15 minutes with some rope a couple of times a week should get it done. If you don't have a fireplace a trash can lid in the driveway should suffice to get some tinder and a few pieces of kindling started. First aid, plants and animals is just memorization. I grill frequently and it is now his job to flip the chicken and burgers. Good time to slow him down and have a chat on the deck. (Why the heck is an instant read thermometer required on the packing list or internal temperature tables in the handbook ? Meat is done when it is done, not how long it has been over heat.)

It was mentioned that it is a rare scout that attends meetings, goes camping, participates in activities, and wants to lead if allowed. That is my son, so far he has perfect attendance, only one of the others in the NSP does.

Point taken. This was a low turnout event, only 13, so the patrols were mixed up and the SPL was the PL. Not ideal I know. There are no ASMs. I do not have the ASM stripes officially but have been treated as one by the SM. We have not had a full committee meeting to work out the structural details yet. (I am also co-IH and allegedly assistant committee chair. I know that is not an official position and am becoming uncomfortable with the structure the more I understand how things are supposed to work. I am only six weeks in, we will figure it out.) The SM is doing SeaBase this year so will not be at summer camp and I have been assigned the official SM role at camp.

I am seeing lots of things being done in non standard ways, but am still in observation and learning mode.

With that said, is it inappropriate for me to inform the SPL that my son was assigned grubmaster and was to work on his cooking requirements ? New SPL and event was adult coordinated as a make up for rained out and botched backpacking trip a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why we didn't just reschedule the backpacking trip.

kdd,

As the grubmaster purchases and brings the food, while on the campout, it's a bit late to remind anyone who the grubmaster is. It is obvious when he shows up with the food.

In the situation you describe, you could take the PL aside and say "I don't see your duty roster posted. How about you go get it and tape it to the [chuckbox/picnic table/tree/whatever is close?]

And unless you want your son to get teased about being Daddy's special punkin or somesuch, I would absolutely avoid bringing up that [son's name here] is supposed to be [any assignment here].

Consider handling it this way. After you get home, talk to your son about the camp out. Ask what was fun, and what wasn't. Ask "I thought you were supposed to be the cook [help cook, whatever is appropriate]. What happened that you didn't?" You will likely get the typical response "I dunno". Ask "Did you want to do it?" If the answer is "yes", then give the wise, fatherly advice "Next time remind your patrol leader".

If your son is the shy geeky loner that you describe, you will want to have him in situations where he needs to speak up for himself. If someone else is speaking up for him, he is unlikely to bother with doing it himself. In my opinion, that is a much more important benefit of camping with a patrol of boys than any other skill. Even if it isn't working towards a T-1 skill.

One of my comments seems to have been misplaced. But, regarding your last question about SPL "management". It's okay to come clean with him and say you're just learning the position together with him.

When I was SPL (many decades ago), parents would ask me if I could make sure their son learned X, Y, or Z, and I considered it a huge honor that they thought so highly of me.

You just have to work at making a distinction between imperatives, requests, and strong suggestions.

To help, get to know other SM's ASAP. Attend roundtables, find out who's going to camp when you are, and maybe let the camp director know this is your first time in this position and guidance/ help would be appreciated. (For example, he might assign your troop a more experienced site guide to help with set-up and getting your troop checked in.)

Well I see the indexing is still a jacked up.....

KDD, It is inappropriate for you to ask the SPL anything regarding your sons advancement or POR. Far as the grub master thing goes.....He didn't really do much on this single trip because of left overs from the canceled camp out right???????

there will be plenty of time for you son to enjoy his scouting......One second you say you get it and the next your hovering over him......

Second there is only ONE SM, If you are the ASM in charge of summer camp then you are an ASM in charge of summer camp.....None of this Temporary SM nonsense.....

If your an ASM you should not sit on the committee and vice versa......As an ASM you should not sit in on BOR.

KDD, It is inappropriate for you to ask the SPL anything regarding your sons advancement or POR. Far as the grub master thing goes.....He didn't really do much on this single trip because of left overs from the canceled camp out right???????

there will be plenty of time for you son to enjoy his scouting......One second you say you get it and the next your hovering over him......

Second there is only ONE SM, If you are the ASM in charge of summer camp then you are an ASM in charge of summer camp.....None of this Temporary SM nonsense.....

If your an ASM you should not sit on the committee and vice versa......As an ASM you should not sit in on BOR.

He bought the food two weeks ago, trip got rained out. We were able to freeze much of it and incorporate the perishables into our home, then replaced the perishables. Then he was patrol cook on this trip. You consider that not doing much ? Ok. What was he supposed to do? Throw away all the food and then repurchase it ?

The summer camp requires one leader to be "Scoutmaster", not ASM. The CC asked me to take that position. I guess we can't go now, boys sure are going to be disappointed.

As far as talking to the SPL or PL or whatever role he was playing at that time. As I said there was not a lot of troop meeting planning for this trip. My sons original patrol selected him as grubmaster and patrol cook, the SM or whoever organized this trip assigned Ryan to so the same with this trip but with a different patrol.

I get how the patrol method is supposed to work, but when you only have 3 members of a patrol attend and food is bought for 6, this troop reassigns patrols. That is what they do, not sure if that is the correct thing to do or not.

I missed where he bought the food originally.

We do adhoc patrols from time to time.......when the older guys backpack......or we have a special event.... Nothing wrong with it.

Far as the patrol selecting him for duties.......those should be assigned by the PL and they should rotate.......It isn't far for one boy to act as cook or clean up for the entire weekend.... I would pull the PL a side and make sure he shares the responsibility. The other thing to keep an eye on is make sure who ever creates the duty roster to include themselves. Previous SPL was notorious for that.

There can be only one SM.......While you maybe the ASM running the trip to summer camp, you are still an ASM. A question as the Adult in charge at Summer camp are you a registered member of the BSA? Have you taken Youth Protection????

Trained ? Well, the only real training is on the job, but yes all the online stuff (ypt, troop committe, this is scouting, etc) and IOLS ( a full saturday classroom and a whole weekend campout as patrols, IN THE RAIN!), presurized fuel, 2 university of scouting, BALOO, OWL, full cub leader classroom training. I have been reading the Scoutmaster handbook, but not finished. Yes I am a registered member of the BSA.

First Class Requirement 4e. " on one campout serve as your patrols cook. Supervise your assistant(s) in using a stove or building a fire. Prepare the breakfast, lunch and dinner in requirement 4a. ...." (I have only seen our patrols use grates over charcoal, a charcoal chimney or open fire, no stoves). I know we have some backpacking stoves. That is what the troop assigned him. I could see the argument that it is to soon for a new crossover or see it as a challenging assignment. In talking to him he said he did the cooking and helped with the dishes/cleanup. The SPL/PL was proud of the meal and brought the old goat patrol a extra burger to sample and said he guaranteed it was better than what we had (kabobs).

I do not recall there being a duty roster. It was only 5 scouts 2nd and 3rd years. (Star and up) I think they just pulled together and got the job done. The adult patrol was around a bend and out of sight so we did not observe the actual process.

Well great job on the training....

We use propane because it is cheaper than charcoal...We have a couple of 25 pounders we use.

I eat with the boys.....Just so my money contributes to the good of the group.

My post from last night isn't appearing, so am re-posting.

As the grubmaster purchases and brings the food, while on the campout, it's a bit late to remind anyone who the grubmaster is. It is obvious when he shows up with the food.

In the situation you describe, you could take the PL aside and say "I don't see your duty roster posted. How about you go get it and tape it to the [chuckbox/picnic table/tree/whatever is close?] Patrols should absolutely positively have a duty roster for every camp out and posted prominantly so that all scouts can see what cores/tasks they are supposed to do.

dont ask a Pl or SPL about jobs your son is supposed to have. or requirements that you want him to work on, or think that he should be doing. Unless you want your son to get teased about being Daddy's special punkin or somesuch, I would absolutely avoid bringing up that [son's name here] is supposed to be [any assignment here].

Consider handling it this way. After you get home, talk to your son about the camp out. Ask what was fun, and what wasn't. Ask "I thought you were supposed to be the cook [help cook, whatever is appropriate]. What happened that you didn't?" You will likely get the typical response "I dunno". Ask "Did you want to do it?" If the answer is "yes", then give the wise, fatherly advice "Next time remind your patrol leader".

If your son is the shy geeky loner that you describe, you will want to have him in situations where he needs to speak up for himself. If someone else is speaking up for him, he is unlikely to bother with doing it himself. In my opinion, that is a much more important benefit of camping with a patrol of boys than any other skill. Even if it isn't working towards a T-1 skill.

Thanks V. I saw your post yesterday. I am noticing a lot of dropped posts today.
The last troop I was with had a bunch of these types of parents. Now I'm recruiting a new troop closer to my home area. :) Sometimes there's nothing one can do except move on to where these people can't reach you.

BSA would be a great organization if it wasn't for all the politics one has to deal with.

Good thing we are non-political. (LOL) Unfortunately we have parents that think their boys should be 11 yr old eagles but that they should not have responsibility of 1st Class Scout due to them being only 12 and a 1st Class Scout....

My $0.02

The books that I found more useful than the SM handbooks were the Patrol Leader's Handbook and the Sr. Patrol Leaders Handbook. Better than the SM handbook; Better than training classes; becasue it describes in simple language what a patrol leader and SPL should be doing, (and by extension, what a patrol and troop should be doing. Once you have read them and are familiar with the content, you can better coach the youth leaders.

An aside: I once bought the books for all the PL's and SPL's. I don't think they ever read them.