Parents who Undermine the program

After thinking about poor old Krampus's situation, I am not sure what I would do...

So you have parents who study the guide to advancement, track their scouts every activity and plan summer camp to the nth degree.....Then expect their scouts advancement to be signed off the second he successfully completes something the first time..... At summer camp, The first year program completion is fact and the Scouts home unit is not permitted to evaluate the scouts.....

If you do not credit the scout the second the parents thinks you should they call the CC and then District or council to get satisfaction.....

So what would you do if your unit had a bunch of Parents like that????

How does a unit change the culture????

No wonder we have very low quality scouts now.

Having earned that particular patch (also got the hat, t-shirt and tattoo) it works well right up to the "just move on" part. Parents like that are parents like that because they don't do "just move on" well.

Having earned that particular patch (also got the hat, t-shirt and tattoo) it works well right up to the "just move on" part. Parents like that are parents like that because they don't do "just move on" well.
And they point to other parts of the BSA program that have also been watered down (see thread below).

http://www.scouter.com/forum/order-of-the-arrow/22355-when-did-brotherhood-become-a-quot-give-me-quot#post277642

Do we not have the ability to deregister scouts from the troop?
I wouldn't drop a scout from the chart on account of their parents. I would demand that leaders get with the program. In fact, I told my crew committee to never meet in the absence of the Crew president. They haven't met for years, we muddle through.

(Some folks here have the SPL sit on the troop committee. I have yet to meet an SPL who has the time and the patience for another meeting!)

I'd start by ensuring I, my CC and COR are all on the same page. Making sure you have each others backs.

Next a good parent orientation explaining why you do what you do, really explain the difference between when a scout learns and when a scout is tested.

A good strategy is to not authorize the "teachers" (adult or youth) to sign off. Only non-teachers sign off. Separate the learning from the testing that way.

All legal per G2A....for now.

I regularly explain to new parents how the program works and WHY. Most of them understand that it is about teaching the boys responsibility and not about who gets which badge when. The really pushy one or two eventually get the point or move on to another troop.

As AC for our troop, I keep the updated MBC listing and the boys need to see me for a name before earning a badge. New parents come to me and are gently told that their son needs to ask me. Then I explain about the son calling the counselor for a meeting and how it all works. And I use how I saw my own kids (now 24 & 27) grow through the process when they were in the troop. Once they see they are not sending the kids off with strangers alone, most of them calm down.

• 2 weeks later...

No-one likes to be told they are in the wrong, especially parents when their little Johnny's "very future is at stake!"

What sometimes works for me: agree with most everything the parents say, then sit them down with a cold drink in their hand. Call little Johnny over, but no closer than about ten feet. Have him demonstrate what he has supposed to have learned. The results usually wil speak for themselves.

Thank Johnny, and have him go backto whatever he was doing. In a soft tone of voice inform the parents we are trying to teach lifetime skils that will stick, and not running a 50 yard dash