Where did the drinking thread go???

Am I the only one that finds the irony in complaining about camp food as being overly-processed and sneaking off for "real food", while at the same time pumping your body with overly-distilled libations that have more crud in them than the aforementioned "bad food"? ;-)You are safer with a piece of Wonder Bread than some of the alcohol you will find at any watering hole near most scout camps. ;-)
Worked in one or ran one? :)
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I view the bourbon and such I enjoy as solvent....Helps break up the grease from the chicken wings......

I am going to say that just about the entire troop has Seen me on my back porch with the neighbor enjoying a cigar and beverage......the joys of a tight knit community....Had one mom try to make a big deal about it.....the minister said he was mad he didn't get invited.....Mr. B was drinking and smoking on his back porch......My son saw it.....No I wasn't stupid drunk....crown black is too expensive for that...I also enjoy woodford reserve...

I think the entire troop membership has spent a night with scout son in the man cave video gaming.....

If I try real hard I can stay straight. If I stay celebrate and sober how can produce more cubs for the program ?
I view the bourbon and such I enjoy as solvent....Helps break up the grease from the chicken wings......

I am going to say that just about the entire troop has Seen me on my back porch with the neighbor enjoying a cigar and beverage......the joys of a tight knit community....Had one mom try to make a big deal about it.....the minister said he was mad he didn't get invited.....Mr. B was drinking and smoking on his back porch......My son saw it.....No I wasn't stupid drunk....crown black is too expensive for that...I also enjoy woodford reserve...

I think the entire troop membership has spent a night with scout son in the man cave video gaming.....

All that celebrating should counter any soberness. Thankfully that email didn't make it to my inbox so I'll have a drink tonight in your honor (the rest you'll just have to figure out on your own) ;)

Damn you auto-correct ! Does National have a policy on "figuring it out on your own" ?

I wonder what direction this thread would have taken if I had originally asked, "Can you take a break from summer camp and meet your wife at the KOA down the road for a couple of hours? "

I went cold turkey on all alcohol over 4 years ago and I don't miss it. Never smoked. No drugs. I'm incredibly boring.

But to me, the point of camping is not the cuisine. It is to enjoy the outdoors, yes and the companionship there of young people as well. I do not understand the need some people have to sneak off for any reason. If there is a serious need, state the need and then go take care of it. If you're sneaking, it is by definition a deception and violates the first law.

As for the firearm thing...some people do seriously need to compensate for their shortcomings, even if through playing out their fantasies.

If they do, I didn't get that email either! And maybe its best you didn't ask that, I'd be afraid to see the answers (I'd still read them of course but that's beside the point.)
I went cold turkey on all alcohol over 4 years ago and I don't miss it. Never smoked. No drugs. I'm incredibly boring.

But to me, the point of camping is not the cuisine. It is to enjoy the outdoors, yes and the companionship there of young people as well. I do not understand the need some people have to sneak off for any reason. If there is a serious need, state the need and then go take care of it. If you're sneaking, it is by definition a deception and violates the first law.

As for the firearm thing...some people do seriously need to compensate for their shortcomings, even if through playing out their fantasies.

I wasn't so awfully boring as a teenager but grew up quickly right before my 20s (and am now pretty boring myself.) I still really don't drink (only when my ambassador program requires it or we have a big get together here at the house.) I do *not* get drunk. The husband is much more lenient with his intake (not alcoholic status but after work he likes a beer every now and then.) But with that being said, I don't think he'd ever leave a meeting to go have a drink. Only reason I'd ever leave is if it was an emergency or something I couldn't avoid. Even as an occasional smoker (shame on me I know) I refrain from smoking at any function/gathering that is scout related, whether they provide areas or not.

Summer camp booze break: Drink before camp, drink after camp, but never during camp.

When I feel like drinking I have a peanut butter cookie and take a hike. It is only 5 days, I can wait for my Ben Nevis.

Summer camp booze break: Drink before camp, drink after camp, but never during camp.

When I feel like drinking I have a peanut butter cookie and take a hike. It is only 5 days, I can wait for my Ben Nevis.

7 days but who's counting. Will I get in trouble if it is a Girl Scout cookie?