Where did the drinking thread go???

The first year that my dad went to camp with me, about Wednesday he grabbed me and we stole into town for supper. He never drank except a beer at a baseball game or maybe with pizza (I'm talking 5 beers in 20 years) but if he'd had one with dinner I don't think it would've been a big deal, nor would I have a problem with another adult doing so now that I'm an adult. The problem would be if they had more than one and/or came back still buzzed and/or smelling, or talking it up. The problem with people that drink with any regularity is that they can't keep their mouths shut about it--protip: No one cares about what you're drinking, bro.

Smoking is comparable here. The camp we attend allows smoking in one spot, and one spot only, far away from everyone's eyes and noses.

It is simply not a moral issue for an adult to have a drink. I don't, but it's not illegal and it doesn't set a bad example in my opinion, until you start yammering on about it like some frat boy or connoisseur.

That said, this I have an issue with:

I will certainly pack some quality meat and vegetables to cook myself.

Nobody likes camp food. If I get sent out of camp on an errand, yeah, I do it at lunch or dinner time and stop at McDonald's (which is ironic, but I digress). But I would never walk into camp with my own special food in front of everyone else who is suffering through it; it's rude.

What I would suggest, since this all stems really from the food avoidance rather than any desire to leave expressly to get a drink, is that you talk to the boys and adults about maybe cooking your own suppers in your site, like summer camps used to do and the way they do at jamboree. You can all certainly cook better cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, etc than the crap they churn out from the D hall. Maybe sweeten the deal by offering to do the cooking yourself.

But to me, it's the height of rudeness to bring your own meals to camp absent an allergy.

Working with the SM and committe we have a plan for me to gradually pull back' date=' but at this time we decided it was not best to plunge him into a full week of independence with people he does not know well at all. [/quote']

I really applaud you for that. Way too many people turn camp into trauma by forcing it too early.

People do what they want to do.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouter99,

Believe me, I'm not criticizing, just observing. Especially when it comes to various kinds of trolling, subtle or overt. I for one can not judge anyone due to the beam in my own eye.

We've covered a lot of ground here--guns, beer, scouter ratios, processed food in the chow hall, healthy food from elsewhere, camp routines, preparedness v. paranoia--and that's not all.

Frankly, this is the most interesting thread I've seen here in awhile.

You really need to get over yourself.
That is all true....but at least I can sleep in the woods, in a tent and in the dark without a firearm.

If you taking your scouts somewhere you feel absolutely have to have a firearm for your personal safety........I would question your judgement with my scouts personal safety....

BD has a GREAT point. Why would an adult at summer camp need to leave camp for a beer or cocktail? It is only a week. Wait until Saturday night, if you need a drink, or find someone to share your responsibility through the week.
BD, Your sniffer is off a little, more like a bit of Mom Scouting. Better get that smeller checked out. :)

SM can't take of the whole week off because he is going to SeaBase, so he is part time. We have no ASM so female CC and Mom of another special needs Scout are attending, so three full time. OA is Friday and so a couple are coming for that and no need to drive home and then back Saturday for pick up. We aren't one of those troops with access to a VAN!!! :) The Adult Troop Quartermaster will drive up Sunday and stay the night and back on Friday to tow our Jacuzzi and Mobile Scout Theater System and Video Arcade.

From my limited experience these parents do stay out of "it" and just enjoy observing their sons in action.

I have seen the Man Scouting routine. The the other week I observed a troop with 4 12x20 carports and trailer BBQ smoking a whole hog. The also had an old UPS sized van and trailers to haul their gear. It looked more like a Renaissance Festival.

We have no scouts over 13 attending.

I agree, I enjoyed reading this (and seeing this kind of chatter is part of my daily job, just glad I can join in here!) I look forward to seeing how our parents handle this in the future; if they leave or stick around. I know at our one overnighter everyone remained (rushed to get out of there the next morning but not the night before.) A lot of the points in here I've never thought about, the varying opinions here make me wonder how I'll feel about it if/when it happens.

BD has a GREAT point. Why would an adult at summer camp need to leave camp for a beer or cocktail? It is only a week. Wait until Saturday night, if you need a drink, or find someone to share your responsibility through the week.
I get whats going on now KDD....

Lots of adults coming and going during the week.

hehehe Vegans......I won't eat anything with a face....

If god didn't intend us to eat our animal friends then why did he make them so tasty????

Followed by wasn't it Fruit that got us thrown out of eden????? If Eve had killed the serpent and served it to Adam instead of the fruit where would we be now??????

hehehe Vegans......I won't eat anything with a face....

If god didn't intend us to eat our animal friends then why did he make them so tasty????

Followed by wasn't it Fruit that got us thrown out of eden????? If Eve had killed the serpent and served it to Adam instead of the fruit where would we be now??????

PETA

(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Never understood why hunting is not allowed but fishing is fine. Is it a safty issue or ethical one?

Would it be OK to trap an animal and then slaughter and eat it ? That's what fishing is.

Am I the only one that finds the irony in complaining about camp food as being overly-processed and sneaking off for "real food", while at the same time pumping your body with overly-distilled libations that have more crud in them than the aforementioned "bad food"? ;-)You are safer with a piece of Wonder Bread than some of the alcohol you will find at any watering hole near most scout camps. ;-)

Am I the only one that finds the irony in complaining about camp food as being overly-processed and sneaking off for "real food", while at the same time pumping your body with overly-distilled libations that have more crud in them than the aforementioned "bad food"? ;-)You are safer with a piece of Wonder Bread than some of the alcohol you will find at any watering hole near most scout camps. ;-)
Well we could debate the scientific health benefits of moderate amounts of alcohol. We could discuss the inventory of a restraunt near the particular camp i will attend. We could also debate the health benefits of ingesting hydrocarbons found in much our chemical food we are fed. We could also debate the scientific facts of the severe damage gluten inflicts on the GI system of a Celiac.

However, It appears your mind is made up about the science, so there is little point.

I view the bourbon and such I enjoy as solvent....Helps break up the grease from the chicken wings......

I am going to say that just about the entire troop has Seen me on my back porch with the neighbor enjoying a cigar and beverage......the joys of a tight knit community....Had one mom try to make a big deal about it.....the minister said he was mad he didn't get invited.....Mr. B was drinking and smoking on his back porch......My son saw it.....No I wasn't stupid drunk....crown black is too expensive for that...I also enjoy woodford reserve...

I think the entire troop membership has spent a night with scout son in the man cave video gaming.....

I view the bourbon and such I enjoy as solvent....Helps break up the grease from the chicken wings......

I am going to say that just about the entire troop has Seen me on my back porch with the neighbor enjoying a cigar and beverage......the joys of a tight knit community....Had one mom try to make a big deal about it.....the minister said he was mad he didn't get invited.....Mr. B was drinking and smoking on his back porch......My son saw it.....No I wasn't stupid drunk....crown black is too expensive for that...I also enjoy woodford reserve...

I think the entire troop membership has spent a night with scout son in the man cave video gaming.....

My favorite past time at mass as a child was comparing the ratio of water to wine the priests would mix. Good old Monsignor Pete was very thrifty with the water.
...made up only because I worked in a distillery in college. ;)

Didn't you get the note that you had to stay sober, celebate and straight all the time...even off the scouting clock? It was in the last national email. ;)