Where did the drinking thread go???

Over the weekend someone posted a thread about adults ducking out of camp to go to the bar for a drink.....

where did it go......It disappeared before I was able to respond....

I hope that I am not alone in this....... But when I am at summer camp or even a weekend camp........I have never felt the need or urge to leave for any reason, much less go to a bar for a beer.

Someone is going to have to explain it to me, because in my book if you can't go for a week or weekend without one you are an alcoholic and need some help.

Are we that soft that being in the woods is that huge of a sacrifice?????

this goes alone with the scouters that are afraid to be in the woods with out a firearm with them............

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey BD, that was me and it is titled Summer Camp Break.

Now before you get your panties to wadded up I was posting a satirical poll. I frequently go longer than a week with no alcohol and do not "need" it, ever. I also pointed out in my troop's situation we are bordering on to much adult leadership at camp. Our troop elected the dining hall option and while that kind of food is ok for awhile, it will be a definite change as I try to limit my industrial processed food intake. Grains, beans, white potatoes, starches, industrialized meats, processed sugars, all the stuff our bodies are not designed to digest and are making us sick. I highly suspect grass feed beef or free range chicken with roasted asparagus is not on the menu. I will certainly pack some quality meat and vegetables to cook myself.

Having a couple of cocktails in an air conditioned environment with a healthy meal certainly would be a nice "break". A side benefit would be to not have Dad there for a few hours. I never suggested I needed to go out and party and get blasted and come stumble back into my tent. Most stated that while it might be OK, it would not be the wisest action. I am cool with that.

Why am I going at all? My son just crossed over and is a bit of a special needs case. While very intelligent, he is almost a full year younger than the others in the NSP, has ADHD, has emotional issues, did not have the best Webelos experience, is very weak, is not independent at all among other issues. ( He generally cannot even unscrew a water bottle). Working with the SM and committe we have a plan for me to gradually pull back, but at this time we decided it was not best to plunge him into a full week of independence with people he does not know well at all. We recently moved and only spent a few months with the Pack and due to bad weather only has one weekend campout under his belt.

BD has a GREAT point. Why would an adult at summer camp need to leave camp for a beer or cocktail? It is only a week. Wait until Saturday night, if you need a drink, or find someone to share your responsibility through the week.

BD has a GREAT point. Why would an adult at summer camp need to leave camp for a beer or cocktail? It is only a week. Wait until Saturday night, if you need a drink, or find someone to share your responsibility through the week.
Who said "need" ? There is a big difference between a need and a want. I am not trying to insult you but that is covered in every level of education starting in kindergarten up through college. Did you miss where I have stated we are bordering on to much leadership in camp this year? We will have 19 scouts and some days six adults.

The website was acting up when it posted....there was some sort of a pole and then my screen went unable to display.

Honestly I really enjoy summer camp with the troop.......The boys take care of themselves for the most part.....Occasionally need to go roust the SPL because he didn't set his alarm clock......

Typical day is breakfast, SM coffee meeting, then SM morning project, Lunch, SM swim, Nap.....Dinner, evening program....Slushies on the front porch of the trading post shower, bed and then repeat......Very high stress as you can see......

Summer camp they serve boy food, I will say by the end of the week I do feel like I need to detox......But I have never left camp for any reason.

If you spend the week chasing your boys, your doing it wrong.......If Jr comes back with no merit badges, and mom is looking for someone to blame......It isn't me, It was his choice to blow off all of the meetings and hang out at the trading post.

I might be one of the few that doesn't have a problem with a group of life or eagle scouts hanging out together in camp or partaking in the open periods at the rifle range, water front

The first year that my dad went to camp with me, about Wednesday he grabbed me and we stole into town for supper. He never drank except a beer at a baseball game or maybe with pizza (I'm talking 5 beers in 20 years) but if he'd had one with dinner I don't think it would've been a big deal, nor would I have a problem with another adult doing so now that I'm an adult. The problem would be if they had more than one and/or came back still buzzed and/or smelling, or talking it up. The problem with people that drink with any regularity is that they can't keep their mouths shut about it--protip: No one cares about what you're drinking, bro.

Smoking is comparable here. The camp we attend allows smoking in one spot, and one spot only, far away from everyone's eyes and noses.

It is simply not a moral issue for an adult to have a drink. I don't, but it's not illegal and it doesn't set a bad example in my opinion, until you start yammering on about it like some frat boy or connoisseur.

That said, this I have an issue with:

I will certainly pack some quality meat and vegetables to cook myself.

Nobody likes camp food. If I get sent out of camp on an errand, yeah, I do it at lunch or dinner time and stop at McDonald's (which is ironic, but I digress). But I would never walk into camp with my own special food in front of everyone else who is suffering through it; it's rude.

What I would suggest, since this all stems really from the food avoidance rather than any desire to leave expressly to get a drink, is that you talk to the boys and adults about maybe cooking your own suppers in your site, like summer camps used to do and the way they do at jamboree. You can all certainly cook better cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, etc than the crap they churn out from the D hall. Maybe sweeten the deal by offering to do the cooking yourself.

But to me, it's the height of rudeness to bring your own meals to camp absent an allergy.

Working with the SM and committe we have a plan for me to gradually pull back' date=' but at this time we decided it was not best to plunge him into a full week of independence with people he does not know well at all. [/quote']

I really applaud you for that. Way too many people turn camp into trauma by forcing it too early.

You really need to get over yourself.
You say paranoid, I say prepared. You are not BP or Green Bar Bill reincarnated. The firearm issue aside, everyone has a different idea of what Scouting is to them. Your view is your view, it is neither right or wrong.
The first year that my dad went to camp with me, about Wednesday he grabbed me and we stole into town for supper. He never drank except a beer at a baseball game or maybe with pizza (I'm talking 5 beers in 20 years) but if he'd had one with dinner I don't think it would've been a big deal, nor would I have a problem with another adult doing so now that I'm an adult. The problem would be if they had more than one and/or came back still buzzed and/or smelling, or talking it up. The problem with people that drink with any regularity is that they can't keep their mouths shut about it--protip: No one cares about what you're drinking, bro.

Smoking is comparable here. The camp we attend allows smoking in one spot, and one spot only, far away from everyone's eyes and noses.

It is simply not a moral issue for an adult to have a drink. I don't, but it's not illegal and it doesn't set a bad example in my opinion, until you start yammering on about it like some frat boy or connoisseur.

Nobody likes camp food. If I get sent out of camp on an errand, yeah, I do it at lunch or dinner time and stop at McDonald's (which is ironic, but I digress). But I would never walk into camp with my own special food in front of everyone else who is suffering through it; it's rude.

What I would suggest, since this all stems really from the food avoidance rather than any desire to leave expressly to get a drink, is that you talk to the boys and adults about maybe cooking your own suppers in your site, like summer camps used to do and the way they do at jamboree. You can all certainly cook better cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, etc than the crap they churn out from the D hall. Maybe sweeten the deal by offering to do the cooking yourself.

But to me, it's the height of rudeness to bring your own meals to camp absent an allergy.

Working with the SM and committe we have a plan for me to gradually pull back' date=' but at this time we decided it was not best to plunge him into a full week of independence with people he does not know well at all. [/quote']

I really applaud you for that. Way too many people turn camp into trauma by forcing it too early.

I do get your point, but I think you missed mine.

I am not talking about bringing surf and turf. My wife is Celiac and over the past year I have developed digestive issues also. We have both switched over to the Paleo/Primal diet and when I stick to it I feel a LOT better. In a sense it is an allergy, but one we all suffer to one degree or another. The lectins in grains are poison to our body. It all boils down to if the cavemen ate it, all good. If it takes modern agricultural processes and processing to turn the food into something we can eat, it is not so good. The heavy carbs in our diet cause spikes in blood sugar and cause a whole host of problems. Cows don't eat grains and corn, they eat grass. The nutritional profile of our beef has changed drastically over the past 40-50 years. There are barely any omega 3s in industrial beef and chicken. Enough about that.

Suffice it to say, I only eat meat (grass fed beef, free range or organic chicken, some pork, wild fish). and vegetables, greens, tree nuts, fruit, eggs, with limited amounts of dairy and of course limited distilled alcohol or wine, no beer. I can't eat grains, bread, corn, beans, peanuts (a legume, not a nut), soy, processed sugar. Not much left on the plate at a camp dining hall. Go look at ingredients of ice cream these days, they load it up with gluten. WTF? Why are they putting grains in ice cream ? GREED. You have to hunt for all natural ice cream these days.

I would actually love the camp food, PB&J was my go to food for years. I would eat hot dogs and potato salad all day if I could. If I eat like that for more than a meal or two I will spend most of my time in the restroom and recovering on the couch. One thing to do at home, quite another in June in a camp latrine.

One of the main reasons for going out of council was to attract the older scouts who are tired of spending so much time cooking a d cleaning and not working on MBs, I am told. It is not my place to ask them to change their entire plan for my dietary needs.

Call that rude if you will. If I have to be rude to live, then so be it.

So why is your troop taking that many adults????

I understand your situation. But why are the other 5 going.

I smell man scouting.

No, I got it: You're a picky eater and your body has conditioned itself to that.

Believe you me, I crap my brains out at camp, sometimes for the first couple days, sometimes the whole week. That does not entitle me to special meals when odds are many of the boys are also suffering, and I know most of the adults are. I pack my own toilet paper of preference and Cottonelle wipes, and a box of Imodium.

Do what you want to do, but it's not a matter of you living or dying, and you're just going to raise the ire of people around you. I would definitely advise against any drinking while you're already annoying everyone around you.

As for the so-called Paleo diet fad, if you want to get serious about it, might I suggest an authentic primal diet based upon the native americans observed by the Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca who was marooned among them for a year or two: "From October to the end of February every year, which is the season these Indians live on the island, they subsist on the roots I have mentioned. Only [in November and December] do they take fish in their cane weirs. When the fish is consumed, the roots furnish one staple. At the end of February the islanders go into other parts to seek sustenance, for then the root is beginning to grow and is inedible. . . Three months out of every year they eat nothing but oysters and drink very bad water. . . Many a time I would go three days without eating, as would the natives."

Whatever. I'm not picky, the crap our food industry churns out is making me sick. I am forced to eat this way. I am not conditioned to eat this way, it is very hard to do so. Call it a fad if you will, but it is just eating REAL food.

You also seen to ignore the fact that this is what the scouts and adults choose to do. They do not want to cook. If any of them would like to eat with me they are more than welcome and sure I will cook for them. This camp is known for very good food, at least in the eyes of kids. I will likely have many meals at the pavilion, but if it ends up being a processed food based meal, I just can't do it.

Go ahead and spend your week crapping your brains out and bedridden from pain if you want. Would you tell a vegan to just suck it up ? That's rude.