Cub Scouts Hate Their Uniforms!

I have written and canceled a responce to this 3 times.....

Uniform is part of the deal. Your boy wants to be part of scouts thats part of it you take the good and the bad.

This is discipline. A pack / den that does not wear class A for pack and den meetings in not prepareing the Cub for Boy Scouts

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting conversation. As a current Cub Master, I haven't heard this complaint. (ever actually) We try to teach our Scouts the importance of wearing their uniforms, and they work very hard to ea

I think the T-Shirt thing is just lazy.   Yeah, sure.... there's a place for it when doing some highly active outing or something..... but IMO a meeting aint the place. A field trip to tour a fire

It always amuses me when I see all these posts about the "problems" surrounding the field uniform.   Gangs all have their colors and appropriately exact ways of wearing them.   Sports have the

I have written and canceled a responce to this 3 times.....

Uniform is part of the deal. Your boy wants to be part of scouts thats part of it you take the good and the bad.

This is discipline. A pack / den that does not wear class A for pack and den meetings in not prepareing the Cub for Boy Scouts

Can you show me a BSA policy that requires a uniform to participate in Scouting?

Give it a try, you will not find one. The uniform is not "part of the deal". Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts. The uniform is just one of many methods.

Can you show me an official BSA definition of "class A". Give it a try, you will not find one. It is called the Field Uniform.

It always amuses me when I see all these posts about the "problems" surrounding the field uniform. :)

Gangs all have their colors and appropriately exact ways of wearing them.

Sports have their uniforms and most boys would die to get to wear them. Of course one also has to have the correct hockey stick or baseball bat/glove to go with it as well.

Certain clothing is mandatory in schools. I'm not talking about school uniforms, I'm talking about the pair of jeans needing a certain designer label or the pair of sneakers that are not only the right brand, but the right style of sneakers.

During Homecoming, none of these kids would be without the school colors on. Don't ever tell me the letter jacket is going out of style any time soon.

Dance classes have new outfits for every recital and sometimes every song for the recital.

When all is said and done, not only is certain clothing desired for various activities, but in many cases it is mandatory.

The amusement part comes in when I see parents not batting an eye to purchase a one time recital outfit for their daughter's dance class, but can't seem to afford a pair of uniform pants for their son who will wear them out after many activities.

Now I realize that the boys are older, but my Venture Crew boys/girls need at least a $1500 investment in equipment to take the field. The Crew has been operational for about 15 years now. It just depends on how badly the boys/girls want to fit into a program.

When I hear the discussion boil down to, "It can't be done," I just smile and move on to more productive discussions.

As far as the uniform being optional according to the "Rule Book of Scouting", that's fine, but Scouting is optional according to the "Rule Book of Life." :)

• Upvote 1
It always amuses me when I see all these posts about the "problems" surrounding the field uniform. :)

Sports have their uniforms and most boys would die to get to wear them. Of course one also has to have the correct hockey stick or baseball bat/glove to go with it as well.

Certain clothing is mandatory in schools. I'm not talking about school uniforms, I'm talking about the pair of jeans needing a certain designer label or the pair of sneakers that are not only the right brand, but the right style of sneakers.

During Homecoming, none of these kids would be without the school colors on. Don't ever tell me the letter jacket is going out of style any time soon.

Dance classes have new outfits for every recital and sometimes every song for the recital.

When all is said and done, not only is certain clothing desired for various activities, but in many cases it is mandatory.

The amusement part comes in when I see parents not batting an eye to purchase a one time recital outfit for their daughter's dance class, but can't seem to afford a pair of uniform pants for their son who will wear them out after many activities.

Now I realize that the boys are older, but my Venture Crew boys/girls need at least a $1500 investment in equipment to take the field. The Crew has been operational for about 15 years now. It just depends on how badly the boys/girls want to fit into a program.

When I hear the discussion boil down to, "It can't be done," I just smile and move on to more productive discussions.

As far as the uniform being optional according to the "Rule Book of Scouting", that's fine, but Scouting is optional according to the "Rule Book of Life." :)

(As far as the uniform being optional according to the "Rule Book of Scouting", that's fine, but Scouting is optional according to the "Rule Book of Life." )

Two completely different subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with each other in the same sentence. I don't understand your point.

KDD ok keep your pack out of uniform. The moment you decide that your pack / child will wear ascots, collerless shirts whatever is your decision.

However if your pack dress differently than all other pack they will by definition be not uniform.

You don't need to wear a uniform in scouting, but at the same time, you don't have to even be a scout and that solves the first issue at the same time. Gotta go with the flow of the logic. :) Looking at it from the reverse, if you don't like to wear uniforms, why join scouts, why go out for football, why join a gang, why take up dance class, etc.? :) I don't care how good the quarterback is, if he doesn't put on a uniform, he doesn't get on the field.

Your flow of logic is the problem.

Should a boy not join scouts and participate if he has no interest in earning eagle or even tenderfoot? Would you request that boy resign ? Advancement is just a method. Should a boy not join scouts if he has no interest in being a leader ? Leadership is just a method.

The uniform is just a method. I have not seen the entire movie but how many uniforms are in the much praised Followed Me Boys ? Does a boy have to embrace every method of scouting to be a scout ?

For the record my boys have and wear the complete official uniform down to the socks. Because I make them ? No. That is their choice.

What purpose is served by forcing a boy to wear a uniform ?

KDD ok keep your pack out of uniform. The moment you decide that your pack / child will wear ascots, collerless shirts whatever is your decision.

However if your pack dress differently than all other pack they will by definition be not uniform.

Your communication skills continue to astound me Stout. :)

A sense of humor is also very beneficial in the workforce. I suggest you get one along with an ascot. :) The BSA has made official collarless Field Uniforms. An Official BSA uniform regardless of age is always considered official as long as it is in good repair.

I and no one else has the authority to force a boy to wear a uniform. If you do, that is your rule not a rule of the BSA.

I deliver the Scouting program as defined and provided by the BSA. What program do you deliver ?

Just a thought... it's not that the uniform now is less functional/quality than in the 1970s, it's just that the rest of clothing has gotten cheaper and more functional over the past 40 years, and the scouting uniform has stayed the same.

My son, as a Tiger, had the uniform down to the socks. He hated the socks and rarely wore them (I didn't buy him the wolf socks), and he tried the pants a few times and hated them. At Roundtable, the consensus in our district was: wear the shirt/belt, wear a school uniform navy pants, whatever socks you want.

Do keep in mind we're in South Florida, where the weather is a little more extreme. As the school year wound down, the uniform dropped off in appearance and more kids showed up in school clothes or Class Bs, especially as the school year ground the parents down. I expect to get a fresh uniform focus in the fall. Going to try to get more parents/leaders in Uniform as well. I hate the pants I bought with mine, the local Scout Store had my style on clearance, I need to check out some better pants. :)

At summer camp, the uniform was: Camp Activity Shirt + Activity Hat for youth, adults were either the Camp Staff Shirt or Pack Activity Shirt (we had some issues on the adult shirts) with the hat. One of the leaders commented that we weren't in uniform, we shouldn't be saluting the flag. I commented that we WERE in Uniform, we were instructed to wear the Activity Shirt by BSA personnel, and it was no different than military personnel traveling in fatigues, they are in uniform... That seemed to pass muster with the other leader, but I have no idea if I was right...

If KDD instructs his boys to wear collerless shirts with Ascots, his boys will be In Uniform, since they are following his instructions... and look Absolutely Fabulous while doing so... :)

Anyone who wants to go out for football only to sit on the bench because he won't wear a uniform is probably missing out on much of what that program has to offer. Of course all teams need waterboys. Not a problem, not everyone's aspirations are the same. Holds true for scouts. There are those that never want to be Eagle or even TF, but if they want to get the most of what the program has to offer and they want to get their money's worth out of the program, they are probably going to need to do more than just show up.

I'm with you Jblake. Your logic is just fine, IMO.....

KDD, Just a method true enough..... but it's a method used by the BSA since before my time, and I suspect yours too! Sort of like buying a house that happens to be next to an airport, then complaining about the airplanes. Your prerogative I guess, but where's the sense in it?

When I was a CM my rule was that the boys in the most complete uniform got to do the flag ceremony. After that it was a competition to be the best dressed.

Question: are your adults wearing their uniforms? If not you may have found your problem. If the leaders wear the uniform without complaint so will the boys. I've even had cubs insist on wearing their uniforms to school for picture day. LOL!

It is not my prerogative or yours. The BSA is explicit on this matter. No boy will be denied scouting because of a uniform. If you choose to alter the program as defined by the BSA, you are not delivering the program.

Encouragement and positive reinforcement go much farther than brow beating and ridicule.

If you are concerned about the sense of it, ask the BSA.