Biggest youth problems

I'm going to suggest something else in addition. And college students need to direct their efforts at themselves as well. I have noticed, over the last 20 years or so, what seems to be not only a tendency of students to feel freer to take shortcuts or cheat, but also for their peers to condone it (I guess the two things go hand-in-hand).

Now, I'm not sure what students can do to address this other than to think hard about their own ethical judgment, but one thing they could do for everyone else is to take a serious look and see if there really is a problem or not. And if there is, does it result from greater technical ability (smart phones, etc.) or do new social activities influence the way they view morality (being able to vote multiple times for American Idol, for example, if you're willing to pay)?

This is less 'substantial' than attacking obesity, and I think that is a great idea as well. But this is, I think, more intellectually-challenging, and if they can accomplish no more than to cause everyone to think more seriously about it, it will have been a positive contribution.

IMHO

• Upvote 1
I'm going to suggest something else in addition. And college students need to direct their efforts at themselves as well. I have noticed, over the last 20 years or so, what seems to be not only a tendency of students to feel freer to take shortcuts or cheat, but also for their peers to condone it (I guess the two things go hand-in-hand).

Now, I'm not sure what students can do to address this other than to think hard about their own ethical judgment, but one thing they could do for everyone else is to take a serious look and see if there really is a problem or not. And if there is, does it result from greater technical ability (smart phones, etc.) or do new social activities influence the way they view morality (being able to vote multiple times for American Idol, for example, if you're willing to pay)?

This is less 'substantial' than attacking obesity, and I think that is a great idea as well. But this is, I think, more intellectually-challenging, and if they can accomplish no more than to cause everyone to think more seriously about it, it will have been a positive contribution.

IMHO

I teach at a local University and see a lot of this. The problem seems to be that the kids don't realize they are cheating. If they are paying someone else to do their HW or take their test for them, they see that as effective management of resources. If you catch them and give them an F you get a call from their parents (Yes, I'm still talking about college students here) saying that clearly the child has "Management Potential" and as the instructor I'm not seeing the "big picture," because managers don't actually do the work of peons, they hire peons to do the work of peons!

I think the biggest problem is that we have taken learning out of schools and replaced it by activities. They want kids to be proficient in more things sooner, as a result they don't have time to actually teach something or take the time to make sure the kid learned it.

Kids don't garden at home anymore, so all our schools include a garden that the students are required to work in an hour a week.

When I was in high school I had genetics and worked on Mendelsohn's Peas. (I hope I've got that spelled right.) My own kids had to cover genetics in 5th grade and were covering the same topics I did in high school, but the teacher didn't have time to explain it because they also had to work in the garden, and run the schools recycling project, put together a program at the local community center, and visit the elderly in the nursing home. As a result the kids learn that you do just enough to get by, then jump to the next pressing thing.

I think the biggest problem is that we have taken learning out of schools and replaced it by activities. They want kids to be proficient in more things sooner, as a result they don't have time to actually teach something or take the time to make sure the kid learned it.

Kids don't garden at home anymore, so all our schools include a garden that the students are required to work in an hour a week.

When I was in high school I had genetics and worked on Mendelsohn's Peas. (I hope I've got that spelled right.) My own kids had to cover genetics in 5th grade and were covering the same topics I did in high school, but the teacher didn't have time to explain it because they also had to work in the garden, and run the schools recycling project, put together a program at the local community center, and visit the elderly in the nursing home. As a result the kids learn that you do just enough to get by, then jump to the next pressing thing.

LOL, "Mendelsohn's Peas" must be a recently-discovered music manuscript by a classical composer, first name Felix?

Edit: yuck, yuck, it's spelled Mendelssohn. Unless you're really thinking about Gregor Mendel, who did some obscure genetic experiments.....with peas.

Thanks Packsaddle; Biology never was my strong suit, LOL!
  • 2 weeks later...

FrugalProf, what region? I have S&YS for Sections 101 & 102 (all of NJ) in Region I. Just hooked up one of my chapters with a new scouting advisor by having them adopt the cub day camp down the street.

the Internet......Youtube, minecraft, call of duty, facebook

Millenial Parents.

"......currently I have a patrol in my basement playing Black ops or some other shooter game....."

BD the enabler. :)

Though I don't have a clue what the difference between black ops and call of duty are. Not my thing and I only have an old Wii.

Millenial Parents.

Well KDD you think I am an idiot.....XXXXXXXXXXX.....

At least my son is part of an active patrol of friends and they actually enjoy each other and do things in and out of scouting together. I will never have to PICK a buddy for him to complete and activity with so it is UNDER THE AUSPICES. None of their scouting achievements will be from any rule mincing or pencil whipping.

Yep, scout son and his buddys play black ops in the man cave....

Just cause it is their thing doesn't mean I gotta like it.

Millenial Parents.

Do you know what this is BD? :) It is called a smiley. Humor, jest, fun. Laugh once in awhile, it is good for you. Have some fun.

I don't think you are an idiot and I fail to see how you imagine I do.

You however are directly calling me an idiot. That is conduct unbecoming of a Scouter.

Millenial Parents.

Well I thought I would look this up. Nice patrol activity BD. What scouting aims does "Language such as 'f**k,' 'b*tch,' and 'sh*t' can be heard in the dialogue." support ?

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Share on facebookShare on emailShare on twitterShare on printMore Sharing Services

Platform: Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Rating Category: M 17+

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language

Other:

Includes online features that may expose players to unrated user-generated content (Windows PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

Rating Summary:

This is a first-person shooter in which players control a U.S. soldier who works for the C.I.A. and participates in both well-known and secret events during the Cold War (e.g., skirmishes, stealth espionage, assassinations, and interrogations involving torture). Players use a wide variety of weapons such as pistols, rifles, machine guns, and explosives to injure/kill enemies. Combat can generate pools of blood and dismembered limbs. Players can use enemy bodies as human shields and execute them at close range. In one sequence, broken glass is placed into the mouth of a man while he is repeatedly punched, causing blood to spill from his mouth. Language such as 'f**k,' 'b*tch,' and 'sh*t' can be heard in the dialogue.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=29949&Title=Call%20of%20Duty%3A%20Black%20Ops

• 2 weeks later...

Millenial Parents.

Back from a week in the woods with a crew......Nice group of lads and ladies......

The best thing is you can raise your lad to be completely reliant on you, not able to manage himself......With no or little understanding of social media, or video games.....Video games are the comic books and baseball cards for this generation.

I will raise my lad to be independent and self reliant, He will understand social media and the consequences and responsibility involving using it. Heck, I have been gone a week and been home 8 hours and still haven't seen him.......