Biggest youth problems

Hi all, I was recently appointed as the Scouting and Youth Services rep for region in Alpha Phi Omega. I am going to poll the chapter VPs of Service in my region to find out what they have been doing in service to youth, however, I wanted know what you all think is the biggest youth problem is that college students could help alleviate.

No doubt obesity is a big problem, but the causes of it are most important. It is not just being lazy, it is the quality of the product our food industry makes available to us. Cow do not eat corn, molasses and grains, they eat grass. Try finding grass feed beef anywhere but at Whole Paycheck. The omega 3 profile of today's beef is vastly different than 40 years ago.

Teaching people to eat real food and not processed industrial foods is the solution to obesity. Something that college students would have a tough time doing as many of them are fed a steady diet of processed carbs at the dinning hall.

Respect in its many forms. From respect for authority, elders, each other, one's selt (obesity being in that grouping), etc. The common respect you used to see is gone; simply not there. Some call it old fashioned but looking someone in the eye, using their name, using Mr. or Mrs., shaking hands, etc. Just don't see that anymore....or rarely if ever.

I think college age adults could help by teaching youth today to take risks. I read stuff about managing the millennial generation that talks about their group-focus and consensus-management styles. While team building and consensus building have a place, I too often observe group-think instead. I personally believe group-think is the result of risk-aversion and/or fear of the unknown. I'd encourage you to work on that.

Selfishness and immediate gratification. They want it now and are now willing to work for it. They give up easily and are lazy. Their first thought is not "how can I help others" but rather "what's in it for me." Sadly, they are learning this from their parents. I can't tell you how many times parents have said they would do something, then not follow-through because they don't care how it affects others.

• 2 months later...
My observation is that kids never challenge authority or the status quo. Ironically, my Scout is far more guilty of the trait than my non-Scouts.
Maybe they're just waiting out authourity.