Summer Camp Break  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• Never
    • At least once
    • Every night
    • Just keep a bottle or two of Jack in my sleeping bag

When I was a Scout some of the troop leaders bolted to a local establishment for some of what you mentioned. Most of them were Camp Staff Alumni, former Lodge Officers (as youths), and more than one help adult volunteer positions at the Council and District levels. The kids were none the wiser, they adults were not hungover, or smelling like booze the next morning. Of course times were different and men were expected to behave like men, and treated like adults. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who did.

I wish, but no.

We've been entrusted to watch over these kids. All too often there have been night time issues (bear in camp, sickness, asthma attack, home sickness, injury, weather issues) that have come up and it would have been catastrophic had we been short leaders.

Also, just two-deep does not cover it anymore. Now for more events in your tour plan you need no less than a 1:10 ratio or you are in violation of your coverage. If you are in a scenario where you are doing HA or something, you must make sure one of the adults present is trained in first aid, wilderness first aid, weather safety, safe swim, safety afloat, etc. So unless you have every adult cross-trained and still have your minimum ratio then you would be in volation of your permit. I think you then lose your insruance coverage.

Plus, most reservations do not allow you to come and go without checking in/out and you cannot be on reservation at all under the influence. Big no-no.

I'd rather not, but assuming the ratios and depth were maintained ...

We've managed to retain some very helpful adults by being a little flexible.

This never happened, but ... Come back wasted? I'm sending you home as soon as you sober up. I'd rather hear from you and your buddies that you're checking into a hotel and won't be back until morning. If you keep your distance, I can take the heat from the res. director for your unplanned absence.

Why? It's personal. Thanks to the family beer business, I grew up with plenty of drunks, I don't need my youth to have any part of that.

Now, on HA's where numbers are tight and we're in close quarters, I expect my key adults to be on the clock 24/7. So, I usually invite my chaperons from the pool of leaders who never showed the the jitters for a "summer camp break."

I get all your points. Would never consider getting wasted, just a break after a few days would be nice, but not necessary. The camp our troop picked this year has has the option of dinning hall and the boys jumped at it. I was not there for the decision process. The Standard American Diet (SAD) makes me ill, so I may need to pack some meat and veggies and do some cooking for myself. There are only so many hot dogs and beans I can eat. The beans, grains and sugar especially. We are bordering on to much leadership on the front and backend, with about 1:7 ratio midweek.

I suspect HA would so completely wipe me out I couldn't lift a bottle. :) Besides I have sleep apnea and lugging around a 50lb deep cycle battery on a backpacking trip would be unwise. SeaBase may be my only option.

This never happened, but ... Come back wasted? I'm sending you home as soon as you sober up. I'd rather hear from you and your buddies that you're checking into a hotel and won't be back until morning. If you keep your distance, I can take the heat from the res. director for your unplanned absence.

Why? It's personal. Thanks to the family beer business, I grew up with plenty of drunks, I don't need my youth to have any part of that.

Now, on HA's where numbers are tight and we're in close quarters, I expect my key adults to be on the clock 24/7. So, I usually invite my chaperons from the pool of leaders who never showed the the jitters for a "summer camp break."

We have an unofficial adult meeting (or meetings) prior to any trek. I pick up a few rounds and we do the same thing afterwards. That usually buys the goodwill I need on the trail from those who don't have scouting in their heart.
I get all your points. Would never consider getting wasted, just a break after a few days would be nice, but not necessary. The camp our troop picked this year has has the option of dinning hall and the boys jumped at it. I was not there for the decision process. The Standard American Diet (SAD) makes me ill, so I may need to pack some meat and veggies and do some cooking for myself. There are only so many hot dogs and beans I can eat. The beans, grains and sugar especially. We are bordering on to much leadership on the front and backend, with about 1:7 ratio midweek.

I suspect HA would so completely wipe me out I couldn't lift a bottle. :) Besides I have sleep apnea and lugging around a 50lb deep cycle battery on a backpacking trip would be unwise. SeaBase may be my only option.

50 miles at Philmont will take care of that apnea...and make that end of trail beer taste really good. ;)

Good point. We've done something similar. I've always left it to the guy who values it the most to pick up the rounds. My leaders know that I drink on very rare occasions, and leading up to a trip is not one of them.