Sunday Cub Scout Activities

Do you schedule den or pack activities for Sundays?

I have had good results occasionally schduling den or pack hikes or other familiy oriented activities for Sunday afternoons.

My theory is that that avoids conflicts with Little League and such activities, gives families a nice activity to do together in a relaxed situation.

For example, I recently did a Bobcat Den hike for newly recruited boys and families that started at a museum, continued as a beach hike that went past the Alki Point Lighthouse and concluded with a hot dog roast at a city park.

Yes. We regularly had Webelos AOL den meetings and activities (i.e. 3 mile hike) on Sunday afternoons. We had to schedule around TKD, lacrosse, speech therapy, ice hockey, etc. It was the only time we could meet as a group. We scheduled longer meetings (about 2 hours) and met once monthly. It worked well for everyone.

Sundays are no longer a day of rest or the Sabbath for many Americans.

Local youth sports leagues see it as just another day of the week....With soccer and baseball games being scheduled Sunday morning.

No kidding, last time I was at church all the standing, kneeling, sitting, standing, rising, kneeling, now stand wore the hell out of me.

Local youth sports leagues see it as just another day of the week....With soccer and baseball games being scheduled Sunday morning.

Well, KDD, as long as it wore the heaven into you as well ....

Lol. Well it sure made me pray for pain relief.

We have never scheduled anything on a Sunday, due to the majority of the den having service in church that morning and in the afternoon as well. Sunday is normally a slow day for my scout and another, I'd love to schedule something on it. But I doubt the rest would be able to make it so we stick to Mondays (which is just as bad with sports going on, here they are almost all scheduled on Mon, Tues and Thurs.)

We have never scheduled anything on a Sunday, due to the majority of the den having service in church that morning and in the afternoon as well. Sunday is normally a slow day for my scout and another, I'd love to schedule something on it. But I doubt the rest would be able to make it so we stick to Mondays (which is just as bad with sports going on, here they are almost all scheduled on Mon, Tues and Thurs.)
Just my opinion, but I think God would prefer these boys outside discovering all his glorious creations and learning to be proper stewards than twitching in their seats listening some self professed agent babble on. But that's just me.
As would I. We do not attend church (me, my husband and my two boys) but choose to do our religious duty in other ways (and mostly at home or with family.) I know some don't agree with that (and not here to discuss that, lol) but some of the other boys have a very strict regime for church and I am not about to stick my nose in that one. My son does attend every now and then with his grandma in another county but he loves their services so whenever he wants to go, he's more than welcome (he earned the Scout Sunday award by going and helping out there this past February.)

We've had great luck scheduling outdoor activities for our Pack on Sundays. We have a lot of boys (and families in general) who participate in sports, and Saturdays are often filled with various games and practices. But, Sundays are still avoided by most sports leagues around here. We often schedule our monthly pack hike for Sunday afternoons between morning and evening church service times. That's worked out well for us. We have one den that has decided to meet on Sunday afternoon/evenings, too.

Yep. Sunday evenings is the day we have our regulary scheduled Den and Pack Meetings at our church CO. Many families in our Pack chose us because we meeting on Sunday evenings. Our Pack started this years ago due to conflicts with Saturday events and sports leagues. We have plenty of folks in our Pack that go to church and our sunday evening schedule does not interfere with those choosing to attend morning or afternoon worship services.

Faith said: "...but some of the other boys have a very strict regime for church and I am not about to stick my nose in that one."

It's best that you don't and never do. In scouting, respect for one beliefs and religious convictions is expected.

I learned many years ago, before scouts was ever a blip on my radar, not to :) I've did my own fare share of 'discovering' myself and what I believe in and for those who respected that, it was greatly appreciated. I know 2 of our scouts attend church from 10am-12pm and again from 4pm-6pm (I remember the times from when we discussed setting a den meeting date in the very beginning.) Since they are two of our most active scouts, I wouldn't consider squeezing a meeting between or after that. Thankfully for now Mondays work well enough for us all.

I had about 50% attendance in my den when I had meetings on Sundays. I moved it to a Monday after school and went to almost 100%. Not sure why because no parent ever complained or anything like that.
My first year as a Webelos leader we had den meetings right after school in the art room. No problems with attendance. The problems I had were inexperience in making it "not like school", climate keeping us indoors much of the time and they were generally very restless.

The upside is it didn't interfere with sports, dinner, homework or bed times. It was great for working on the more hands on and outdoor activities, but a real pain for some of the more "book" learning badges like citizenship.

As always the challenge is to have sufficient prep time to "make it fun"