Like any activity, the more one does it the better they get at it. I've been sewing patches on for almost 50 years now and can get a patch on a pocket/sleeve without sewing it together before someone can get out their sewing machine, change thread to the proper color and sew a pocket shut. Never could figure out why anyone would want to sew the pocket shut. They put a pocket on the shirt to be used as a pocket. :)

I have had to do field repairs on my uniform, sew on buttons, patches, etc. and do all sorts of things with a needle and thread over the years.

There's going to be the day when the scout is 20 miles into the back country and rips out a seam on his backpack. Without badge magic, a sewing machine or someone in the neighborhood that can sew, he's going to be out of luck for the rest of the trip. It's called "Be Prepared". Kinda of a catchy phrase if I say so myself. There is deep wisdom in the selection of that motto. A boy should be able to cook, clean, do laundry, mend clothing and a variety of other skills before he heads out into the back country. Poor cooking practices can lead to illness as would cleanliness. Clean clothes are just plain nice to have, and when the seam of your pants split out or a seam lets loose on your pack or tent, a little sewing skill goes a long way.

But as long as he has LTE he can just google it. :)
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about those of us that have a position in one pack, another position in a second pack, and on the District Roundtable Staff? I can't really afford 3 shirts, and I don't really like my left sleeve looking like a giant strip of velcro (with badge magic behind the velcro)

What about those of us that have a position in one pack, another position in a second pack, and on the District Roundtable Staff? I can't really afford 3 shirts, and I don't really like my left sleeve looking like a giant strip of velcro (with badge magic behind the velcro)
For sewing: In your own unit(s), most members would likely know who you are and your position with that unit whether you are in uniform or not have a left sleeve position patch or not. At the district level, you will more likely interact with a variety of new people looking for help.

An old way solution - elastic armbands.

No need to buy additional shirts, nothing really to worry about it here, Your service says more than your uniform.

My $0.02,

my 0.02..

I think sewing is an important skill however the results from most boys not interested in sewing should not be on a dress uniform. using a needle and thread for a pack or a tent is one thing insignia that is misaligned and sewn haphazardly while at a consulate discussing world citizenship another.

I'm not associated with any individual unit, so the unit number area of my sleeve stays empty. I've been a member of my local district operating committee and district advancement committee for a while now, and I've gotten two shirts together for that purpose (one long sleeve, one short). When I got involved in starting up my council's STEM committee, I had no interest in buying any further shirts, but I did want the option of swapping my District Committee patch for a Council Committee one when appropriate. I bought some pre-cut velcro pieces from http://www.switchempatches.com and sewed the loop sides onto my sleeves and then sewed the hook sides onto the back of my office patches. I tend to make sure I have the right patch on my sleeve before I even put the shirt on, but I always keep the alternate patch in my shirt pocket in case I end up needed to "change jobs" while I'm out. The patch covers the velcro completely, so you don't see anything unusual until I peel it off. I do have another velcro hook patch on each shirt for my "Trained" patch, which it seems I've only earned with the District job so far. When I'm wearing the Council patch, I just pull off the Trained strip and stick it in my pocket. No one has ever said anything about the visible tan velcro on the tan sleeve, so I think it blends in pretty well.
my 0.02..

I think sewing is an important skill however the results from most boys not interested in sewing should not be on a dress uniform. using a needle and thread for a pack or a tent is one thing insignia that is misaligned and sewn haphazardly while at a consulate discussing world citizenship another.

Basic sewing kit should include pins. Position the patch. PIN IT! If it looks right, then start sewing.
my 0.02..

Or staples. We've had a couple moms do instruction nights on how to sew, including sewing on patches.
my 0.02..

Those patches with the trademark backing are tough critters to pin for me. I use double-sided tape on the bottom half of patch to position, sew top half, remove double-sided tape, and finish sewing bottom half. Done.

Don't have double-sided tape, then make a loop of single-sided tape.

My $0.02,

That reminds me we are about due for a sewing night instruction......I did it a year ago...Need to schedule a refresher course.

Conduct uniform inspections......For every lad that has a uniform that is perfect they get an ice cream sandwich, for the patrol with the highest score they get a pizza party in front of the other patrol in patrol corners....... I give a couple of week notice.... Peer pressure is a good thing.....Last time I noticed the patrol leaders doing inspections during patrol corners....Everybody wants the pizza...... In the case of all perfects....I don't mind buying the troop the Ginormica Pizza from the local establishment....9 square feet of pizza.

That reminds me we are about due for a sewing night instruction......I did it a year ago...Need to schedule a refresher course.

Conduct uniform inspections......For every lad that has a uniform that is perfect they get an ice cream sandwich, for the patrol with the highest score they get a pizza party in front of the other patrol in patrol corners....... I give a couple of week notice.... Peer pressure is a good thing.....Last time I noticed the patrol leaders doing inspections during patrol corners....Everybody wants the pizza...... In the case of all perfects....I don't mind buying the troop the Ginormica Pizza from the local establishment....9 square feet of pizza.

See, that's a pizza party. Nothing ruins the appeal of a pizza party like hot-n-ready from Little Caesar's.
my 0.02..

I use 3 temporary stitches to hold a patch in place; for example, for a council strip, one on each corner and one in the middle of the bottom.

I agree with you on pins, Schiff; too difficult with the thick goop plastic backing. Sometimes just getting the needle through is almost impossible.

my 0.02..

Think outside the box! No one said one had to pin through the plastic backing! Position the patch. With a pin, snag the shirt material near the patch, come back up and snag a few loops on the patch, then back into the shirt. Do the same on the bottom, making sure the patch is straight. Then on each side. Now sew and pull pins afterwards.

There is no way I would pin through that stupid plastic stuff. No need to.

By the way, I never sew the actual patch, only sew the loops on the edge, that's why they are there. I have often wondered if sewing machines actually could go through that plastic backing without doing some damage in the long run on the nylon gears.

my 0.02..

Staples, definitely. I've yet to find a patch I couldn't put a staple through and it holds the patch better for sewing. Flat and no pointy ends to poke.
my 0.02..

Never been able to jam a lot of material into the stapler. Kinda okay for short sleeved shirts and an occasional pocket. Sewing on a JacShirt is a whole different process with a stapler. :) I just find pulling pins a lot easier than pulling staples.
my 0.02..

Hmmm, that is definitely thinking outside the box or patch. Thanks for the tip.